Biden Admin Mulling Massing Changes to Cigarettes

How do you think this will affect vape regulation?

• Positively: the government is finally seeing vaping as a harm reduction strategy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Negatively: this is just phase one from an out-of-control Nanny State

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annette Rogers

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
California USA
www.kaisvirginvapor.com
The Biden Administration is apparently considering requiring tobacco companies to cut the nicotine levels in cigarettes to "nonaddictive or minimally addictive levels." But that's not all. Menthol cigarettes will be banned as well.

There's a lot of misinformation and speculation about the plans and how they might affect vaping regulation. What's your take?

Biden Admin Mulling Massive Reduction in Cigarette Nicotine Levels

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
My take is, lots of money going to be made in black market cigarettes.
If the powers that be would embrace vaping as a less harmful alternative to smoking, and promote it as an effective cessation aid...
Well, I can always dream.

Last edited:

Annette Rogers

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
California USA
www.kaisvirginvapor.com
I agree, zoiDman, but that nomination could be a good thing for vaping or a bad thing. The two front runners being considered are actually the topic of next week's blog post so I just spent a bunch of time researching them (Woodcock and Sarfstein). They are likely to take very different approaches to heading up the FDA.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I agree, zoiDman, but that nomination could be a good thing for vaping or a bad thing. The two front runners being considered are actually the topic of next week's blog post so I just spent a bunch of time researching them (Woodcock and Sarfstein). They are likely to take very different approaches to heading up the FDA.

I'm Not Sure if there is much hope of getting someone who is aliened more with say Gottlieb's thinking on THR to head the FDA. And I have heard Nothing that Zeller would be replaced at CTP.

And with who Biden appointed to head HHS, I Can't see the FDA being guided to take a Fair and Scientific Based approach to the PMTA process.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Opinionated

Annette Rogers

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
California USA
www.kaisvirginvapor.com
New FDA head would have the authority to replace Zeller but I haven't heard any talk that is planned either. However, Woodcock's background is pharma so she is more likely to let Zeller steer the boat when it comes to tobacco regs whereas someone like Sarfstein, who has connections to Bloomberg, could come in with a strong anti-vaping agenda. So I think this pick is important and going to have a lot of influence over the future of vaping.

Some experts I spoke to feel that the elimination of nicotine in cigarettes can only work if the FDA gets behind vaping as they need to have a viable alternative otherwise it's just prohibition and we all know how that goes, haha! The whole no nicotine in cigarettes plan actually originated from Gottlieb and he saw vaping as part of that plan. If that's the direction, FDA might take a more fair and science based approach to PMTA's as they would need vaping to make it viable.

In the end, we're just reading the tea leaves though, we'll have to see what happens.

• Agree
Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Some experts I spoke to feel that the elimination of nicotine in cigarettes can only work if the FDA gets behind vaping as they need to have a viable alternative otherwise it's just prohibition and we all know how that goes, haha! The whole no nicotine in cigarettes plan actually originated from Gottlieb and he saw vaping as part of that plan. If that's the direction, FDA might take a more fair and science based approach to PMTA's as they would need vaping to make it viable.

This is a Very Salient point.

Because if you Create a Vacuum in a Market where there is Consumer Dependency, and you Don't have something else to Supplant what you remove, Black and Grey Markets Flourish.

Gottlieb knew this. He also Knew that e-Cigarettes on the Population Level were/are Orders of Magnitude "Safer" than Cigarettes. So the vision of ramping down Cigarettes while letting e-Cigarettes increase made sense.

Unfortunately, the whole JUUL/Altria saga turned him into someone working on an 8 Year Plan but being under a 2 Year Contract.

I have seen Absolutely Zero Indication that Biden, or any of his Appointees, consider THR as anything more than a Binary Choice. Either Use or Non-Use. With No Continuum of Risk or Harm in between.

Reactions: Opinionated

Annette Rogers

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
California USA
www.kaisvirginvapor.com
I have seen Absolutely Zero Indication that Biden, or any of his Appointees, consider THR as anything more than a Binary Choice. Either Use or Non-Use. With No Continuum of Risk or Harm in between.

I agree, zoiDman, and between that and the accelerated PMTA timeline dictated by Judge Grimm, it's looking rather, well, grim.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I agree, zoiDman, and between that and the accelerated PMTA timeline dictated by Judge Grimm, it's looking rather, well, grim.

It is Grim. Especially for those who saw the e-Cigarette Market go for Mom & Pop start-ups to what it is Today.

But I guess one can look on the Brightside. And because of the Glacieratic Pace things are done/implemented in Government, most have had a Chance to do some Stocking Up.

It's the Smoker who a Year from Today wants to Quit that I really feel Sorry for. Because He/She will Never have the Opportunities that I and Many others had.

And that just Isn't good Public Health Policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread