FDA considering ban on flavored e-cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
They don't want it to be safer. They want more new smokers. Trust me, if a kiddo died from DIY and whatnot, they would only use that as a rationale to then get rid of ALL vaping.

I am just waiting for the day, although for sure, the planned stages of "talk nice!" "OMG ONE TEEN died from a non closed system!" headlines will then arrive, followed by some pleasant solicitation by the FDA on the appeal of DIY or just plain liquids to the "creativity and fascination of teens to eliquids," and asking us to submit comment which we will, and then a little bit later there will be an announcement, etc.

I have to say, I still have a bit more like "Tear my vape from my cold dead hands" left in me, but depending on what happens next in our society (I know there have been scary times, I know it's better than plague times and all, and I'm sure we've faced horrible things before) but man, if our society gets much worse I sort of want to smoke for a while until it just gets really bad for me healthwise, and pull a Socrates in the end. I'm not just talking vape, I am talking EVERYTHING.

I'm sure I'll perk up and I can vape for as long as I want and etc. BUT OY.

Anna

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
I watched PBS Newshour and Gottlieb was on it today. He made it pretty clear that he is talking about 4 closed pod systems and not flavored juice in general. He repeated several times that he doesn't want to take devices off the market for Adults.

He was talking Blu, JUUL, VUSE, etc

Yes, and he said the same thing numerous times Thursday morning on Squawk Box. (CNBC)
He, more than once, called out JUUL as the biggest offender.
He also maintained that 'closed systems' are the main culprit in the rise of underage usage.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Here in Belgium the online sales of vaping products already are legally banned (since 17th January 2017) because an age verification mechanism was going to be very expensive or else it wasn't going to be very effective, and, even if our govt had decided to heavily invest the tax payer's money in such a mechanism, there still wasn't going to be enough guarantee that it would work well enough (according to our govt). Further, pod systems like the Juul the cartridges of which contain stronger than 20mg/ml juice cannot legally be sold anywhere in the EU, as the TPD restricts the nic strength of all juices to a maximum of 20mg/ml.

The simple truth is kids can still buy a regular cigarette (or two or three or four or five) at the candy shop on the corner, conveniently because the shop owner doesn't even force these kids to buy them by the whole pack. Kids who want to know what a nic buzz feels like are naturally inclined to find out what it feels like, by choosing the path that is going to be the least unconvenient to them, and the reason I know this is because contrary to popular belief I once used to be a kid myself which makes me the real expert who speaks from genuine experience regardless of politics so basically the real cash cow is hidden in the fact the kids will just experiment with truly highly addicting regular cigarettes instead of with something that is 95% less harmful and that isn't even addicting anyway in the first place because tests have shown that people who have never consumed nicotine before aren't suffering from any withdrawal symptoms of any kind whatsoever after these people have been administered nicotine patches daily over the course of several months.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Flavors are part of what makes vaping superior to smoking, which is a good thing. Of course it will be more appealing to youth because it's more appealing to everyone, which again is a good thing.

I don't see the issue with our politics being just our leaders, the constituency still seems fearful and callous regarding personal freedoms not in their direct interest.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Juul and such are useful for people to at least try out to get off smoking. I used high nic all in one devices for a short period of time to stop smoking. So they do work. But for most people, I think that they are too expensive to use in the long run and cost about the same as smoking. Still better for them than smoking though.

I see the appeal to kids. They are small and easy to conceal. Don't produce a lot of cloud so not hard to sneak a puff. The flavors may be an added attraction to them but I think with or without flavors they will still use them. They are probably in it for the cool factor as much as anything else.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 6, 2011
    Somewhere out there
    One thing we have learned, the FDA is never happy. They made vaping a tobacco product. They can't ban it but they can regulate the heck out of it. I think a legal argument would be is why pick on vaping when teens still try cigarettes. But I think the high nic levels in Juul are a problem, why not reduce the levels. I tried pods but did not like them.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Do not give in. Do not concede. Do not make suggestions about how to fix vaping.

One of the reasons that the NRA is so successful (well, there are lots of reasons) is they stay Relentlessly On Message.

There is nothing wrong with vaping. It is safer than smoking. There is nothing wrong with teens vaping. Teens are vaping instead of smoking, this is a good thing. There is nothing wrong with the Juul. High nicotine setups are self regulating, just like smoking .If you get ill from vaping a high nicotine pod, you will stop.

There is nothing wrong with vaping, there are about a BILLION things about vaping that are incredibly GOOD. Like FLAVORS, like variety, like NOT DYING OF COPD.

There is much wrong with the FDA. Do not agree with them. Do not align yourself in ANY WAY with the FDA's stance on "Safety."

The only thing wrong with vaping is that it is CURRENTLY under attack by the powers that be that are concerned about their coffers, their pound of flesh they owe big tobacco, and their nonsensical, IDIOTIC measures to divide and conquer.

I want you to think about your favorite teen. Maybe, it was your (now grownup) niece, your kid, WHATEVER. I want you to imagine that teen holding a vape in one hand and a cigarette in the other. THERE IS NO CHOICE NOT TO CONSUME, your favorite teen is going to experiment with SOMETHING.

What would you want your teen to do??????????????????

Anna

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    In the EU we've got those restrictions already since a few years:
    only 10ml bottles and max 20mg/ml

But that's for ready-to-vape liquids, not for DIY.... ;)

With all due respect,
    DIY nicotine in the EU/UK is NOW via "Nic shots" 10ml and max 20mg/ml. *

The days of buying a liter of 100/72/60/48 mg/ml nicotine base have ended.
    Juul pods in the UK/EU are to be limited to 20mg/ml vs the 50mg/ml US version.

Since the TPD is all about TAX parity, I predict a similar situation for the US some day. ( Wanna guess who suggested to the World Health Organization that E-cigs are bad? Hint: their initials are F, D and A.)

* (Please PM me with an EU vendor (NOT EBAY) that still has liters of 72 and reasonable shipping. Thanks)

Cheers
    I

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Well my county just passed it's first vape ordinance EVER raising the legal age to 21. You can smoke at 18, but they want you to have 3 good years of getting addicted to tobacco before you TRY to switch. I am convinced it was purposeful.

Age, maturity and responsibility don't mean too much over here any more. With all due respect we can have some teenager at a mass shooting in school address the president and other dignities regarding her incoherent thoughts on gun control while all vapers must be punished for the teens.

I wish the teen speech giver had vaped while she gave the speech. That would have been epic.

Sorry, I'm a bit annoyed ATM

Anna

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Yes well welcome to our crazy little part of town. The county I live in is pretty frightening, I could cite statistics but I sincerely hope we can get ready to MOVE and like, do so before the whole county enters collapse. My hopefully new boss kept harping on how he was in a border town and the whole time I was thinking, "I have read your county's stats, in preparation for this interview and like, trust me, you have NO CLUE how sweet and placid it is compared to the native tribe that used to employ me, etc." Let alone my actual COUNTY.

They did in purpose. Every time something in society makes no sense to you, you just need to think "Machiavelli wrote the play book."

OF COURSE it makes no sense, evil people generally DON'T unless you survey them through the appropriate lens then they make perfect sense.

I'm sorry I'm so jaded. I'm gonna go do yoga in a moment and muster up some endoprhins, I think. Etc.

Plus, gearing up for Joan of ARC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean not really, it's not quite time. Not yet. Just selecting my sword. Etc.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Oh they get it alright. It's fine if a few decades in to the tobacco addiction mess, the elderly cost LESS in healthcare, while paying for vaping and NOT acquiring costly health conditions (although some still do) but to have TEENS EN MASSE defect from starting to smoke because VAPING IS JUST NICER and NEVER PAY THEIR SIN TAXES LIKE this FIRST WAVE DID?

That is not going to be tolerated. If a stream of steady smokers turns to vaping after a long while that MAY be tolerated.

But, NO MORE Smoking SIN taxes EVER? No big tobacco? HOW will the government survive?

They totally 100% get the fact that teens want to vape instead of smoke.

THAT IS THEIR ISSUE. THEY WANT MORE ILL ADDICTED and UNHAPPY SMOKERS because they cannot envision change.

Don't be fooled. The government no longer cares of the welfare of its citizens. It cares about the pound of flesh it thinks it can GET from the future smoker.

Turn the lens around. The government is 100% AWARE that teens would rather vape, and they are TERRIFIED.

This is what evil looks like. They don't care about any teens other than the ones they themselves birth everyone else is tax fodder.

Do not expect reason. We are far, far past reason, and headed to the land where things make no sense---- because they are not only LOGICALLY wrong, but morally, spiritually and ethically WRONG TOO.

Do not wonder what is crazy about this.. There is nothing "crazy" about pure evil.

Fight.

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread