Blue Foam and Straw Mod with Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chefdeuce

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Green Bay WI
People often wonder what the Blue Foam mod is and why to use it.
I use it because I get more consistent vapor with it.
I us the Straw because it pushes air to the bottom of the cart and pushes the juice to the atty which means you will use all of the juice in the cart and keep the atty wet. "It's a good thing"

Here it is step by step.

Step 1, take it apart.
IMG_2434.jpg

Step 2, Remove old filler
For the sidesho put a safty pin in the hole in the back of the cart, push out the clear plastic piece, remove white foam. The older carts have a divider piece at the bottom, the straw mod won't work with this in, you will need to remove it. This can be a pain but well worth it. For the 902 just pull the foam out with a tweezers.

Step 3, Cut matching sizes for the blue foam and straw.
IMG_2438.jpg

Step 4, Replace old filler with new plus straw
IMG_2439.jpg

Step 5, Trim to fit
As you can see my sidesho the filler and straw are to long for the cart.
So I just trimmed it back

Step 6, Fill with juice and Vape all day!

Last edited:

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
Hi, guys. First thank you so much for this info and the pictures - they're invaluable. I'm new here and think my questions are relevant, so I hope this adds to this thread instead of hijacking it. Does everyone need to mod these things to get them to work well? If so, you'd think someone would design them differently. The pre-filled carts seem good for a couple of drags and the blue foam mod seems good for about one cigarette - so to speak. I mean consistently when I say that. Even then, I don't seem to get near the crazy amount of vapor that I see in youtube videos. After a day, I am using the blue foam mod by the way.
Here's my questions - even though I haven't tried the straw yet.
1. Am I cutting the foam correctly? Based on a youtube video, I don't cut the foam quite as long, leaving some room at the bottom to pool a little extra juice. The negative to this I think may be the foam being pushed down and not contacting the atty.
2. How many drops do you fit in the inner cart?
3. How many drags or smokes would you say that should equal with the size of the SideSho?
Thank you, guys. If you'd prefer me to start a new thread instead, just let me know.

Chefdeuce

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Green Bay WI
1. I just cut it to mock the old filler, seems to make the most sence to me.
2. Drops I would say about 10 could be wrong, havent counted. On the 902 its a lot more, 20+ I would say.
3. Drags on the sidesho is hard to say, but it lasts me most of the day. atleast 30+

Hope I could help.
The best thing you can do is play around with it a little and see what works best for you.

P.S. People doing Mods on Carts or Batterys show the makers what direction to take their new models and how to make them work better. I think new cart designs are on there way (Hopefully within a year or two)

Chefdeuce

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Green Bay WI
The straws were one hell of a journey, Coffee straw that are split down the middle work the best (I would think) But every where I went that had coffee didn't have the split straws. So I picked up these coffee stir stick straws at the local grocery store. If you can find the split ones (I hope you understand what I mean by that but if you don't just ask and I will try to answer that better) cut them down the middle and use one side, that will take up less space in the cart. The blue foam is easy to get, go to a pet store that has aquariums. The blue foam is actually a filter for aquariums. For about 10 bucks you will get enough to las you a few years.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
McDonald's has the right size coffee stirrers and a few will last a long time... plus they're free. ;)

Be sure to wash your Blue Foam before using it or it will taste nasty. I cut it in strips (easier to manage then the entire filter) then cleaned it using a tiny drop of liquid dish soap and rinsed it really, really well.

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
This is working well for me. I fill the cart by dripping into the foam. I can see the level of the juice in the straw also. I am using this in a 901 cart (i know this is not the cart mod forum, just saw the pics and decided to try). I have tried all kinds of mods, spring with blue foam was working good for me, but refills were a pita. I have used PTB, brass screen, and others. The blue foam w/ straw is the easiest to fill and works as good or better then any other mod I have used. THanks for posting pics.

Chefdeuce

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Green Bay WI
The straw moves the air to the bottom of the cart, which pushes the liquid to the top of the foam. That means you get to vape all the liquid. It works the same way when fillilng but in reverse. The liquid pushes all the air through the straw and out the top so you can fill all the way without air pockets in the filler.

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
I have never tied it, I am too lazy for filling a cart, all I do is drip

Actually, once you get a cart mod that works right for you, I find dripping to be more "labor intensive". Pull cart, drip a few drops, replace cart, vape for 5 minutes, rinse, repeat...

Mod cart. Fill with 10-12 drops. Vape for an hour or two, pull cart, fill, vape...

I like the later better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread