Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Yeah, cause FDA are sooo expertly at vaping they could come up with sensible and relevant safety regs as to voltage/power/temp. NOT! Those clowns can't even tell the difference between liquid droplets and solid smoke particulates.

And much earlier.... between a battery and a cartomizer :facepalm:

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
From the Reuters article: 'Pankow conceded that the study could have contained more context about overall relative risk, but said the authors "just wanted to get it out."'

Since when did "First!" become a justification for publishing shoddy incomplete work?

It's ok if people will take this data out of context, because we haven't provided any, because we "just wanted to get it out."

It's ok that we submitted this "peer reviewed study" as a letter to the editor, which by definition has no peer review, and shows an incomplete method, because we "just wanted to get paid."

This assessment seems plausible. If you read the Reuters article, it sure appears to me that this Pankow character has already begun backing off of his prior stance somewhat, in an attempt to 'qualify' the methods and the admitted quick release of the study. (We used to call these types "Weasles" in my old neighborhood. In fact, we still call them "Weasles" in my current neighborhood!)

Last edited:

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
Sadly, much of science has become politicized over the years. It's more about where their funding comes from than unbiased research. It's like pharmaceutical science no longer seeking true cures, because there's much more money in long term treatment.

Reminds me a little bit of lawyers. To hell with the truth, just WIN at any cost, collect fee.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Every article I read adds a little more detail. I wish they would be more specific on equipment,

Exactly. Because "high voltage" or "5V" don't make any sense except for a particular atomizer / liquid / air flow combination.

The "safe" voltage would depend on the coil resistance, its contact surface with the wick, the wick properties, the liquid viscosity, the airflow, etc.
-5V into an Atlantis would mean 50W - it would smell like burnt rubber just at 35W (yes I tried).
-5V into a nautilus Mini with 1.8 coil would be 14W a little bit rich but no burnt rubber.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Every article I read adds a little more detail. I wish they would be more specific on equipment, but let's be honest here. All you guys that thought they were purposely sub-ohming for a test study like this are kidding yourselves. In my mind, I just assumed they were using an standard ego battery with a ce4.

The Reuters article gave the detail that they used "Halo Cigs liquid" and " a personal vaporizer from Innokin."

That makes sense because the innokin battery has a digital reader on it. I'm assuming that they used a VV3, not that it matters if they used an MVP or whatever else, but I doubt it.

So we know for sure that they were not sub-ohming because I think the VV3 only fires down to like 1.3 ohms or something. It would be safe to assume at this point that the tank they used was either an iClear15 or an iClear30, would it not?

Before you guys get all defensive, I agree that more details about the study need to be released for us to get a better idea, but this study did catch my eye because it has actual numbers and data with it. I vape and am not some outsider or anything.

I'm just picturing some "scientist" pressing the fire button, waiting 4 seconds, releasing, then firing again immediately. Repeating the process until 3ml of juice was used. That would be the dumbest study ever though, so I'm kind of giving them the benefit of the doubt on that.

It makes me happier knowing that I don't sub ohm and primarily just use Kanger tanks at around 3.8 to 4 volts at 2.2 ohms. If I was a sub-ohmer though, it would make me a tad bit uneasy.

On a related note, we're assuming that the carcinogens are primarily coming from dry hits. Would a really old coil that tastes burned and ashy be giving off "dry hits" even if it were saturated? I have a friend that waits an abnormally long time before he changes his coils, so I'm wondering if he's doing any harm to himself other than his vape tasting like crap.

I for one never thought they would be using sub-ohm vaping. Commercial sub-ohm products just came out, I assume they are using tech that is at least 9-12 months old if not older. A CE4 on an MVP is highly probably. Neither a CE4 nor an iclear 16 would perform well at 5v.

It's not just about running hot, or dry hits, or pushing the button for too long. There is no standard vaping method. It's a bit like driving. If I drive a toyota echo and you drive a ford f150, and we're both told to take the same stretch of highway for 50 miles, our cars are going to perform differently. Part of that will be the car/truck itself, and part of that will be our individual driving styles. Maybe I hover around the speed limit, maybe you hover 9 miles above, maybe I'm hard on the brakes, maybe you prefer to let off the gas instead, maybe my tires aren't inflated, etc. In vaping terms, when I used CE4s I used a light draw, tipped and swirled constantly, didn't use any liquid higher than 50% VG, kept the voltage below 4v, etc. Setting a puff machine to 4 seconds at 5v is not intended use.

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
One of the updated links in DrMA's first post starting this thread is to the National Public Radio's health blog.

www.
npr.org/blogs/health/2015/01/21/378663944/e-cigarettes-can-churn-out-high-levels-of-formaldehyde

Quoting from NPR's blog:

David Peyton is a chemistry professor at Portland State University who helped conduct the research...

[snipped]

Peyton acknowledges that he found no formaldehyde when the e-cigarettes were set at low levels. But he says he thinks plenty of people use the high settings.

"As I walk around town and look at people using these electronic cigarette devices it's not difficult to tell what sort of setting they're using," Peyton says. "You can see how much of the aerosol they're blowing out. It's not small amounts."

"It's pretty clear to me," he says, "that at least some of the users are using the high levels."

:facepalm:
Yeahhhhh, not difficult for him to tell. Riiighhht. I guess those users he's so sure about really enjoy taking dry, burning hits. :laugh:

Perhaps he should brush up a bit more on what an increased proportion of vegetable glycerin (VG) in e-liquids does.

Last edited:

postembr2

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2013
From MMS: Error
At low voltage (3.3 V), we did not detect the formation of any formaldehyde-releasing agents (estimated limit of detection, approximately 0.1 μg per 10 puffs).

Since they only stated it was used a "tank system", you can probably asset that this was a coil around 2,5 or lower, on a cheap tank system.
When im using protank heads @ 1,9-2.2ohms, i cant really go over 3.3-3.5 V without sensing bad taste or smell. So its natural to conclude the tank system they were using was overheating due to bad wick feeding. These kind of devices were never meant to be used as a high wattage device; you would probably want to crank up volts if using a dual coil (pre assembled) but its illogical someone would really vape a single coil, pre assembled at 5v.

What it really shows is that there is a coordinated attack, because of so much "studies", often biased released on such small time frame. When you google formaldeyde vaping, all media sites are popping terror news.

postembr2

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2013
The used device was an Innokin iTaste VV V3.0 battery and the atomizer was Sailebao CE4 with 2,1ohm coil. As we all know the clearomizer has coil and does not work well with 5 volts.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...s_find_high_levels_of_cloaked_form_of/cnwwl8v

Well, this much closes the case. Using a top coil, plus at dry burn level wattage. Its no wonder its wrong. It also doesnt make sense that the researches tried to approach some vaper and asked "hey would you vape this cheap tank @ 5v"? The reply would be clearly no.

While dry burning being bad to inhale is no news, the media damage is done.
I have already received mail from concerned friends that read some info on local media, stating that i should go back to cigs. Its bad, because its not that simple to explain how it works to a lay or anyone without some scientific knowledge, and the "researcher" is accredited because he has a position.

"It's pretty clear to me," he says, "that at least some of the users are using the high levels."[/B][/I]

:facepalm:
Yeahhhhh, not difficult for him to tell. Riiighhht. I guess those users he's so sure about really enjoy taking dry, burning hits. :laugh:

Perhaps he should brush up a bit more on what an increased proportion of vegetable glycerin (VG) in e-liquids does.

And this reinforces my findings that this is a coordinated attack, probably aimed at high wattage/or high ammount of vape.
How you explain to population that dry burn is different to lots of vapor? People read "more volts" and it translate "lots of vape".

So if you vape 100% VG you will be accused of releasing toxic clouds.

Last edited:

FourWinds

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2014
UK
I saw this on Reddit earlier and, after posting there, I thought I'd lurch over here to see what you guys were saying.

I think most of it's been said, but I can always find a little more to say, even if it turns out to be pretty much the sort of thing I've said before.

The page Reddit linked was this one: E-Cigarettes Can Churn Out High Levels Of Formaldehyde : Shots - Health News : NPR

So, it occurs to me that this 'scientist' is a strange one indeed: 'walking round town,' things become 'clear' to him, and he hopes government 'will tightly regulate' ecigs!

Perhaps it shouldn't be strange to me any more, but he didn't seem to 'see' that all these vapers were not smoking did he. This 'scientist' achieves an epiphany, a clarity of scientific thought, during his walk around town, and concludes that tight regulation is a good thing; oh dear. I think that, perhaps as is usual with these types, it all comes back to prejudice: seems to me that the guy is so prejudiced against 'smoking' (and no, that's never good, even if it's against smoking), that he is now no longer capable of any judgement other than pre-judgement. He's probably not a nasty guy, but it seems to me that he's not up to the job of providing recommendations to the FDA.

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
The used device was an Innokin iTaste VV V3.0 battery and the atomizer was Sailebao CE4 with 2,1ohm coil. As we all know the clearomizer has coil and does not work well with 5 volts.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...s_find_high_levels_of_cloaked_form_of/cnwwl8v

Very important post, this should be quoted for those that don't have a chance to read the whole thread.

Some of you guys are BSing though when you say that you don't even get close to 5 volts using that equipment. At 3.3 volts that combination would barely fire. When I used a similar combination, I would run around 3.8 to 4 volts, which would be the equivalent of 7.0 - 7.6 watts.

I know for a fact that it isn't uncommon for members of this forum to much higher wattages than 7 on the same type of equipment. I remember being shocked when I heard how hot some people were running them.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Very important post, this should be quoted for those that don't have a chance to read the whole thread.

Some of you guys are BSing though when you say that you don't even get close to 5 volts using that equipment. At 3.3 volts that combination would barely fire. When I used a similar combination, I would run around 3.8 to 4 volts, which would be the equivalent of 7.0 - 7.6 watts.

I know for a fact that it isn't uncommon for members of this forum to much higher wattages than 7 on the same type of equipment. I remember being shocked when I heard how hot some people were running them.

On a CE4? Besides, the experimenters were running this at 11.9 watts. They were also drawing a fairly small amount of air, slowly (50 ml over 3 seconds). No idea how long they were waiting between firings, though.

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
On a CE4? Besides, the experimenters were running this at 11.9 watts. They were also drawing a fairly small amount of air, slowly (50 ml over 3 seconds). No idea how long they were waiting between firings, though.

Perhaps we (myself too) shouldn't pass judgments until all the facts and details are known. Hopefully the ones doing this study will give more details on their entire process at some point. Things are just starting to shake out now. A little more detail is given every hour.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Just to put things in perspective.

I normally use a Nautilus mini with 1.8 coil, rDNA40 set at 10W. I do sense a slight change in taste at 12-13W so that's why I keep it at max 10W (don't want to push my luck) This is a tank that reportedly works up to 17W without dry hits.

So what I'm saying here is that one will notice a change in taste/smell long before getting dry hits. If you check the OSHA / NIOSH sheet for aldehydes, you may notice that the smell threshold is lower than the dangerous concentration. In other words, you can smell something is wrong before getting into real danger. And if they're in dangerous concentration, they stink badly, no way you could possibly ignore them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread