Brace yourselves new Formaldehype junk study to be released Jan 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
My issue is that they use the term "high voltage" but they do not define that term. In my line of work, high voltage is 7.2 kV, which is only one distribution powerline.

You slacker! Around here the distribution lines are 13KV and change, but I also have worked in the transmission area, which is much higher.
(Nearly (well, use your imagination) when I went to the 680KV substation.... You'd hear that not-so-little crack and pop every once in a while; I prefer the 115KV subs by a long shot!)

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Last edited:

Moonbogg

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Whittier, CA, USA
Knowing how the test truly is based on false methods, it kind of shocks me to see it all over news outlets who simply claim in the title that e-cigs have hidden formaldehyde, much more than regular cigarettes. Its a genuine lie for the public to read. I didn't think this kind of thing really happened, but here you have it. The point is to get the story out, and once its out the damage is done, the false info is in people's minds and that turns them into BT allies because they will fight e-cigs along with them. Public opinion matters and BT is winning.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Just emailed fox news, Greg Gutfeld, Shep Smith (who just ran the story) with the information from Bill G., Siegel, Clive, Reason....

Shep, to his credit, did mention that the study was done that didn't resemble normal use and asked 'why can't they do studies in the way people actually use ecigs' (paraphrasing). He also said, 'I have friends that kicked the habit with ecigs, don't have the cough anymore, etc. etc.' and then brought in that the gov't wants to bring in more taxes and the tobacco lobby that's in on it.... pretty fair and balanced actually.

Last edited:

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
According to Reuters, "Pankow conceded that the study could have contained more context about overall relative risk, but said the authors 'just wanted to get it out.'"[/I]

Pankow just wanted to drive traffic with a catchy headline. People do it all the time. Unfortunately, this could affect people's health, rather than just cause an uproar about an athlete or a celebrity.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Pankow just wanted to drive traffic with a catchy headline. People do it all the time. Unfortunately, this could affect people's health, rather than just cause an uproar about an athlete or a celebrity.

Yep. The "just wanted to get it out." tells you a lot about his science and his intent.

yossarian2004

Dec 27, 2012
Austin, tx
One thing that also bothers me is that we have no way of knowing which brand of e-liquid they were using. Were they using something purchased at a convenience store, or ordered from China? Did they test the liquid beforehand to make sure it was free of contaminants not usually found it quality e-liquid? A better test would be to use pharmaceutical grade PG/VG and compare that to mixtures with other ingredients like flavoring, nicotine, and then off the shelf liquid.

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA

IMO just another grant ..... trying to find his place on the desk murder list.

:facepalm:

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
One thing that also bothers me is that we have no way of knowing which brand of e-liquid they were using. Were they using something purchased at a convenience store, or ordered from China? Did they test the liquid beforehand to make sure it was free of contaminants not usually found it quality e-liquid? A better test would be to use pharmaceutical grade PG/VG and compare that to mixtures with other ingredients like flavoring, nicotine, and then off the shelf liquid.
They were using something made by Halo. That is all that I saw regarding the juice.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
At least it's a consolation prize that the science is junk. Good thing it wasn't the real deal.

On another topic. Remember the story about the child in New York who is suppoed to have died of nic poisoning? Ouch, right? One of the forum memebers, Mike, kept after that and it turns out the cause of death cannot be confirmed. Apparently New York law allows all the relevent official documents that might reveal that can be kept confidential. He got quite the run around before that was explained. It's always sad when a child dies. Never the less I believe there is still no confirmed cause of death of this kind to date.

In the last couple of days Governor Cuomo signed a bill for child resistant packaging, right? The Governor's press release had lots of huffing and puffing and justifications for child proof packaging, as though anyone disagrees. But there was no mention of the child poisoning incident, which happened in New York and which I believe Cuomo or his office commented about at the time. Does the governor's office have access to that confidential information? Do they know know it wasn't nicotine poisoning after all and that's why they don't bring it up at the most appropriate possible moment?

Governor Cuomo Signs Bills to Protect New York's Youth from Harmful Effects of Cigarettes | Governor Andrew M. Cuomo

Last edited:

MsGoddess2U

Nov 16, 2014
Salem, Oregon
You slacker! Around here the distribution lines. are 13KV and change, but I also have worked in the transmission area, which is much higher.
(Nearly (well, use your imagination) when I went to the 680KV substation.... You'd hear that not-so-little crack and pop every once in a while; I prefer the 115KV subs by a long shot!)

Here, one distribution primary conductor (single phase) is 7.2kV. Phase to phase (on a 2 phase or 3 phase) is typically considered13.5kV. ANSI defines high voltage as 500+V. I wasn't going to start talking about all that orTransmission or Sub-Transmission because I felt my point was made well enough using single phase as an example. Furthermore, I am in no way even remotely educated in the field of science. I know only that which I'm taught, which is relevant to the job.

We felled some pretty tall cedars (min. 75') that were no further than 20' from a sub station. I'm just thankful nothing went wrong and those cracks and pops didn't become "boom".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread