Burning Taste --POLL-- discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsewsure

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2009
Stuttgart, Germany
I watched the Fluval re-fill video and noticed when he put the little straw in it (I had never seen a reference to that before). I searched the boards and couldn't find out is the straw for refilling or do you keep it in there all the time to help the filler wick better?

Also, does it have to be cut (tapered) at the bottom or would flat work? Actually, I think I realize now why you want to taper it...otherwise it would just sit flat at the bottom of the cart. Next question is could I use an old ink pen tube or coffee stir stick? How thin should it be?

Babachoo

Moved On
Apr 17, 2009
I watched the Fluval re-fill video and noticed when he put the little straw in it (I had never seen a reference to that before). I searched the boards and couldn't find out is the straw for refilling or do you keep it in there all the time to help the filler wick better?

He keeps it in there, but be careful because burning that straw while you vape would be very very bad.

Babachoo

Moved On
Apr 17, 2009
Also, does it have to be cut (tapered) at the bottom or would flat work? Actually, I think I realize now why you want to taper it...otherwise it would just sit flat at the bottom of the cart. Next question is could I use an old ink pen tube or coffee stir stick? How thin should it be?

Personally, if you're absolutely set on trying it, I'd say get a 12 to 16 guage syringe needle , leave the tapered cut and cut or grind the other end down to the desired length.

EDIT: I meant to add that this is not only a desirable size, but it's a thousand times safer than a non-metallic straw. Keep your lungs healthy. ;) Oh and for easy to find syringes and needles, find your nearest Tractor Supply store and look in the medicine aisle.

Last edited:

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK

The straw helps with the wicking and the refilling by letting air in and out and is left in there all the time.

I don't get a burning taste, but only when I lung inhale (as opposed to mouth inhale), I would sometimes get a slight melting plastic taste. Definitely not a burned popcorn taste as someone described it.

When it was happening, I took the cart off and just held the button down while I looked at the atty. The atty smoked a little and started to get red for a second and I turned it off. While I did that, I smelled the atty and that was definitely the taste/smell I was experiencing.

Whether it was primer in the atty or the atty wasn't wicking properly or the cart was too dry, I don't know. I just know that now that all the primer is gone and I'm keeping my carts topped off and using the straw in my carts, I don't get that melting plastic taste/smell anymore.

imsewsure

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2009
Stuttgart, Germany
I have a coffee filter in my cig right now and it's working like a champ. I put a little straw in there as well (a coffee stirrer is all I could get my hands on right now) but I cut it shorter than the cartridge and it's off to the side so no worries of it melting. So far no burning taste and no excess liquid in my mouth...it's great!!

testerjtester

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Seattle, WA
I suspect that there is a lot of confusion around this issue because "burning taste" might actually mean different things to different people - it's nobody's fault, but writing about smell is like painting about taste.

There's the taste that tells you your cart is getting dry, I'd call it a hot plastic taste. I don't think this is much different across e-cig models. I think this would be widely accepted as normal.

There's an escalation of the first taste, which tends to negate the juice flavor, more unpleasant than the first. I call it a soapy taste. This is what you get when there are polyfill fibers stuck to the atomizer bridge and are heating up as you vape. Still pretty standard, and easily corrected - remove the fibers and puff right through it.

Then there's the apparently controversial burning, plastic, chemical spill, electrical fire taste that comes from letting a 510 atomizer get too dry. This one is unmistakable, horrific rather than merely unpleasant, and will sear the lungs if allowed to.

I'm assuming the poll is about this last one... is it?

I'm also more than a little concerned that a new user might be scared away from trying the 510 due to the volume of complaints about this taste, when some of the volume may be attributed to something else entirely that is completely normal, and when most of the rest can be avoided by keeping the atomizer soaked well enough in juice to avoid burning off the inner wick.

I'm not saying that this isn't a problem, and I'm not saying that it's not perfectly understandable to find oneself experiencing what I would call the burning taste... I guess what I am saying is, be aware that there could be multiple very different symptoms that could be getting lumped together here, and that the symptom that I believe is the worst can easily be avoided with a little care.

There are anecdotes on both sides as to whether an atomizer that has experienced the burning taste can be recovered. But best not to let it get to that point - if you lose one or two before you know how to avoid it, chalk it up to experience, and go enjoy your 510.

Tim

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
I'm also more than a little concerned that a new user might be scared away from trying the 510 due to the volume of complaints about this taste, when some of the volume may be attributed to something else entirely that is completely normal, and when most of the rest can be avoided by keeping the atomizer soaked well enough in juice to avoid burning off the inner wick.

I've been thinking along those same lines, too.

The burnt taste issues happen either with my error in correctly using the e-cig or a defective atty. We all go through a learning curve so to speak.

When you are getting a burnt taste, check the following:
1) Check the filler in the cart and if it has dried out, even if only the very top portion has dried out, top off with liquid.

2) Check to ensure that the filler fibers have not been singed. This has happened to me a few times. Evidently a portion of the filler fibers had been resting against a very hot portion of the atty and got singed. Either cut away the singed portion or get a new cart.

3) If you are getting a "plasticy" type burnt taste, check to make sure you are using the correct cart for the atty. Check to make sure that the bottom portion of the cart is not resting against any part of the bridge of the atty. I had an atty once where the bridge was way off center and the edges of the cart were being singed by the bridge.

Another "plasticy" taste is when the wick of the atty protrudes out from under the bridge. You may want to consider just tossing this atty or sending for a replacement if it's still under the warranty.

4) If using a freshly cleaned atty, or an atty that you've blown the excess liquid out of, or if you suspect the atty is dry always drip a few drops directly on the bridge before vaping. The atty must always be kept moist when in use.

5) Check to make sure that the top portion of the filler of the cart is actually nesting into the bridge of the atty. You'll know this if there is a small dent in the top of the filler when you look at it. If the filler has gotten pushed down into the cart or is not level with the top of the cart, take some tweezers and pull the filler back to the top of the cart. If the filler won't stay in place and keeps getting pushed down into the cart, simply replace the filler or get a new cart.

6) If any of the above is not the problem and you're still getting a burnt taste, pop in a new cart that has been filled with your favorite liquid or change out your atty and see if that helps.

That's all I can think of.
Hope this helps.

towardsthelight

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Ohio
The burning taste you are experiencing is the nylon wick around the atomizer element. It ususally means that the cartridge is too dry. If this wick burns away your atomizer will not function well if at all. Try to keep the cartridge wet near the atomizer at all times. You can do this by topping off frequently.

Kevin

Yes, I am very new to this (only a week) but I have noticed that if I instantly stop vaping when the taste starts & add a few drops, the burnt taste disappears. I have the VX2 from Shawn at Litecig and these carts hold quite a bit but it seems they have to because of the vapor the little things crank out. I've also noticed that if I vape/draw more slowly (this thing takes a very delicate & slow draw to get good vapor), I have less chance of the burnt taste occurring. I think if you draw too fast, it overheats the atty & fries out the cartridge to quick. :confused:

RsL

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Minneapolis
I vape a Dura (510) I get a burning metal taste which does irritate my mouth and throat.
It seems to happen when the atomizer gets to hot and dry. This cant be good for you. Ether way, i do not like it and the Dura is now on the bench.

Yes, when any atomizer gets dry you are going to get a nasty taste. It's quite normal really. That's why you always want to keep your carts from getting bone dry and maybe drip on the atomizer once in a while....

Babachoo

Moved On
Apr 17, 2009
Can anyone explain to me (801 user) why when I take a fresh empty cart and fill it with liquid, I can fit like 25 drops in, but then have to top off the cart pretty much every 1-2 cigs worth of vaping, with around 5-7 drops. I understand that there probably never will be a cart that you can vape bone dry, but since I can only vape like 5-7 drops worth without getting the "cart getting dry" taste, I don't know I just wonder why the cart is so big if we can't take advantage of its size. Do the ultra tiny micro minis or whatever vape bone dry? Or does it scale and you have empty carts taking 10 drops to fill, but only being able to vape 3 drops worth before needing a top off? Would love if someone could help me understand this dynamic.

Also, what's the deal with the nylon (mine resembles teflon tape or rubber) atomizer wick? What purpose does it serve that the metal mesh could not? I've noticed strange things with my 801 like that coming loose, and white paste like residue, and I'm not sure if that's glue that melted and seeped around the case, or part of the atomizer wick or what. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

RazorNribbonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Trapped within my imagination
Hey Dave, I recently got a 510 too..And like you the taste and throat burn turned me off as well as there were no massive amounts of vapor that everyone talked about... I almost benched it as well but, I kept at it....I'm not sure if it just got broke in, the extra atty dripping, if its just this particular atty or if it was the straw mod I started doing or what...But its now throwing off a lot of vapor and that taste is gone as well as the awful throat burn.. It's mellowing out... niiice

Antebellum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2009
Madison, GA
Also, what's the deal with the nylon (mine resembles teflon tape or rubber) atomizer wick? What purpose does it serve that the metal mesh could not? I've noticed strange things with my 801 like that coming loose, and white paste like residue, and I'm not sure if that's glue that melted and seeped around the case, or part of the atomizer wick or what. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

I think the rubbery white goop is adhesive. It was just a dot on the bottom of the wick in the first set of carts I got. Recently, I've gotten some where it was applied very sloppily with some of the stuff even spilling over the top.

I also think refilling 801 carts is somewhere between an art and a science, and I also think that some atomizers are stingier than others. I have one atomizer that gurgles, and I consistently get the best vapor AND cart endurance when using it.

Recently, I've taken to using a syringe and carefully putting 1.1 ml in a cart. I don't frequently top off. Instead, I vape until the taste begins to change, and then I hit it again with the syringe. Unless I've cleaned the wick, though, I just fill it until it looks saturated.

You can also regulate the flow somewhat by how you hold the thing, but I'm sure that you've found that out by now. :)

Babachoo

Moved On
Apr 17, 2009
I think the rubbery white goop is adhesive. It was just a dot on the bottom of the wick in the first set of carts I got. Recently, I've gotten some where it was applied very sloppily with some of the stuff even spilling over the top.

I also think refilling 801 carts is somewhere between an art and a science, and I also think that some atomizers are stingier than others. I have one atomizer that gurgles, and I consistently get the best vapor AND cart endurance when using it.

Recently, I've taken to using a syringe and carefully putting 1.1 ml in a cart. I don't frequently top off. Instead, I vape until the taste begins to change, and then I hit it again with the syringe. Unless I've cleaned the wick, though, I just fill it until it looks saturated.

You can also regulate the flow somewhat by how you hold the thing, but I'm sure that you've found that out by now. :)

Thanks a bunch for the reply, I was afraid it would get buried amongst the 510 specific discussion and was considering reposting in a new thread. I haven't tried the syringes yet, though I probably will here at home today. I'm gonna try and find a blunt tipped syringe that will attach to a 15ml amber bottle for use at work, been meaning to try the syringe thing, guess I finally will now. It's funny you mention flow depending on how you hold it. Today I was thinking that I might be able to make carts taste good longer if I held the 801 straight up and down while vaping, LED end down. Didn't vape enough to notice if it improved anything, but will keep experimenting. I was tempted to try and store it the same way in my backpack, but I really don't want to ruin any batteries by keeping them like that so long that juice drips into them, but I've no idea how long is too long when it comes to having them be upright like that.

I too wait until the taste begins to change before I top off, which usually equals the level it reaches after vaping around 1-2 analogs worth of juice. I'm kinda tempted to try other cartridges that may be the same diameter, close to the same distance to the atomizer from the end of the cart filler, but shorter in length, to see if makes more sense to eliminate the unused portion of the cart. Anyone know off hand if a 901 cart would fit the bill for trying that?

Also, that makes sense that it's adhesive. The only real problem I've been having with 801 hardware lately is that the ring on the atomizers have been separating and the guts want to come out, if that makes any sense. Basically the threaded end, that ring is glued on but mine have been coming loose lately. One because of threads on a battery having a little nick or imperfection on them, making them kinda tough to screw in far enough, and another due to reasons unknown, maybe just the glue wearing down from the heat. I need to mention this to Wayne, who will hopefully forward it to the manufacturer

Last edited:

DyZiE

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
Monterey, Ca
thx for the advie everybody. i would have gotten back here earlier but ive been upside down with appointments and my "honey do" list.
anywho ive got good and bad news.

first the good. the JC juice i ordered came it (PG) and when i tested it out it seemed to reduce the burnt taste, it all but completely disappeared......
then the bad news. turns out my battery was nearly dead cuz two drags later it gave the aquward 15-flash-dead(15 flashes is just odd IMO). and as per request (actually ive been doing this since i got the 510) i topped off the cart and put drops on the atomizer, but non the less once i replaced the battery the burning came back.
do you think that there may have been some consistency issues with a few batteries and maybe mines just pushing to hard for the atomizer? idk seems plausable.

anywho i have more good news. i ordered some dura-c attys. same i know but from a diff company(and there janty so they have the cool thicker gold band) and they should be either in a few hrs when the mail runs or tomorrow. anywho im thinking thats its just a few bad attys (i ended up leaving the one with the extra long fibers under the bridge alone cuz i nearly puked while taking a drag with it) and if the dura-c atty work better ill just send monroe a message and see if i cant get the attys replaced.

thx for your help everyone. oh and i forgot to mention this up top but even thou the smell/taste was still present after i used the JC juice it was alot less noticable. i really like the JC artic mint.

Smokingfreely

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Arlington, TX
www.smokefreely.biz
I've noticed that my 510 has always had this problem of burning the wicks. Never really had an issue with the other models I had, until just recently when it occured with my 801, and now it just keeps happening with my 801, every time I use it. I clean the atty. If pool the liquid avoe the wick and insert I get few good drags and right when it reaches the wick it tastes like burning - this is true of new blanks and restuffs. The best reults I have had are from my RN-4072 and a new model that I had previosuly hoped to start selling, but have been delaying due the current legal climate - maybe it'll happen... we'll see. I have no idea why I have so few problems with my RN4072 and it is so similar to my 801 which I can hardly use anymore. On the new one, I think the difference is that the carts require so little wicking material - seriously just a few strands and it holds the liquid in (very similar design to S'moores 40x recessed catridges.) I don't really know why it needs so few, but I think what's to be learned from it if it never comes to market is that less is most definitely more. When refilling your cartridges, use the bar minimum neccessary to keep liquid from pouring out of the cart.

DyZiE

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
Monterey, Ca
DyZiE,

Atomizers are flaky creatures. Some will be much better than others. Some just don't work very good at all. So hopefully your new ones from Janty will work better for you. Good luck!

thx bunches

if worse comes to worse they have a good warranty. besides if this keeps up im just gonna grab a janty stick i heard they rock something fierce. i wanted to give it a few months and see about they reliability but ....... eh nobody like waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread