Busted at Wal-Mart! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandallFlagg

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Denver, Co, USA
I just got back from a Bed Bath and Beyond, vaping through the store, looking for small mixing containers for efluids. No one said a word, so I approached a young lady and asked her if they had any and explained what they'd be for. I showed her my BE112 and made 2 LARGE clouds over our heads. She was in a state of complete raging........

curiosity and amazement.

I gave her a card. Another new customer, and member for our cause.

Ok listen,
If I mis-quote you, sorry. If I dont say who said it, sorry. You all know who you are with who said what. Sooo........
Good point, yes some people started vaping to get around the smoking bans, and now they have quit smoking. This is not an excuse to continue flaunting your new found NRT product. Period.
I told you to not get technical on me with regards to my non-alcoholic beer analogy, and then you did. I know it has alcohol ( about 1/2 of a %). It was an analogy. So I'll take it to the next level... would you pour water into a beer can and drink it in a restricted area? Maybe I like beer cans, maybe they make my water taste better to me. Theres my point, maybe you'll understand it better.
As Lu said, and I have said, now is not the time FLAUNT your e-cig. Vaping outside, or not vaping in no-smoking areas, is not hiding! Its respecting the laws already in place. VAPING LOOKS LIKE SMOKING.
Someone had said, most of the smokers they know already know about e-cigs and would make fun of them (or something) for smoking in the designated areas. Well I dont know where you live, but not one smoker I talked to has even heard the term "e-cig"... and guess where I was when I educated them about the benefits of vaping? Yeah... standing in the smoking area.
As Lu said, vaping in non-smoking areas gives the anti's and others the preception of "nanee na nana, look what I can do!" So everyones point is, thats not the way to gain public approval. It turns people the other way. Think about the last time (no offense to any jehova's or christians) a jehova witness showed up on your door step at dinner time? Or a street preacher told you of the horror that awaits you if you dont submit to christ? Did either one turn into a god fearing christian?? I dont know about you, but thats why Im an Athiest!!!! see my point? The more something you dont like/agree with is pushed on you, it has the opposite effect the pusher desires. The more people trying to show that they can vape anywhere they want, smoking bans be damned, the more we will be looked upon negativley. Someone said, hey, I dont care, negative publicity is still publicity. No my friend, negative publicity is negative publicity. We are all only saying to respect the laws in place, educate in the right place and at the right time. Flaunting you e-cig in a no-smoking area is neither. There, Im done.... you may continue...
My best,
-VP
First off: hello, great forum, very educational and fun.
I have a few problems with the type of reasoning in the above quote. First of all what law(s) or ban(s) am I violating by consuming nicotine liquid in a mist form, that is electrically made? None of the smoking bans I have seen or heard about or read for myself have anything to do with personal atomizers that are electronically fired. Second, I would absolutely walk around with water, soda or milk in a beer can if I wanted too, as its not beer or beer like or containing alcohol or alcoholish, its milk! Third, we the people of the united states of America have the unalienable RIGHT to do ANYTHING that our conscience allows, PROVIDED, we dont CAUSE HARM to SOMEONE ELSE or THEIR PROPERTY. That is the "vision" or "base mindset" that a given American SHOULD have; according to the FOUNDING FATHERS. With that being said; no American should give up vaping, in any capacity, whether the congress bans it or not. Yes the congress has the authority to ban a "thing"; but only to the degree of said thing endangering the publics' health, welfare, or safety. It is good to vape in the smoking area, it is also good to vape in Wal mart, IT IS NEVER GOOD TO TRY AND UPSET SOMEONE ON PURPOSE; whether with an E-cig or a bad attitude. It is always good to HUMBLY EDUCATE. If we dont start standing up to the government for our rights and freedoms then we have lost the battle already, because a person who is not free is a drone; everything that makes life worth living has already been removed from his/her existence. It won't matter if he or she dies from lung cancer or old age, it won't matter what the government bans or doesn't ban, the only thing that will matter is that 215-44-5543 is no longer functional and needs to be replaced! As far as religion ruining the world, I absolutely agree; however history has proven that politics will destroy it faster!

Bones

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2009
Austin, Texas
I for one will not allow my actions to be dictated by the ignorance of others - Any misconceptions others may have about what they THINK they see happening are understandable - It does look like you are smoking - I will be more than happy to politely educate them on the REALITY. My first exposure to the concept came from seeing someone using an e-cig in a public place - I am so greatful now to that man! That was a month ago - I got my own the next day and haven't even wanted tobacco again! I am now a non-smoker!

Society has spent far too much time of late placating the ignorant in efforts not to offend - I have no desire to offend anyone with my actions - But - I will not be held responsible for the perception of offense contrived by the imagination of the underdeveloped intellect of the misinformed - I refuse to dumb myself down for the sake of political correctness -

For years smokers have been pushed outside or into little rooms in the back to avoid any offense or harm to others - I have understood and willingly complied with this valid and reasonable health concern - I can not subject myself to the same segregation when those concerns do not apply -

I do not smoke anymore and there should be a welcoming back into the land of the non-smoking areas - They would not be upset if they saw you using a nicotine inhaler, a patch or gum- No! - These very same people would pat you on the back and say "Congratulations - So awesome that you quit smoking!"

It is only by the process of educating the general public via first hand exposure to reality that we will receive our "Pat On The Back" and be awarded the non-smoker status that we have rightfully earned!

All vapors here should be proud of what you have done - You used your brains to find a solution to valid concerns - You have done the research and made an informed and educated decision that is in accordance with caring for your own health, the health of your loved ones and others around you - It is no more wrong to vape openly than it was for all the non-smokers to stop on the street and tell you "That's bad for you!" Or to post signs and warnings against smoking on every corner of Earth -

Now is the time to return the gift of education and educate those that urged us to change our habits and behaviors for all these years - Let them know that we have taken their advice - What more do they want? Once they understand what is taking place in reality the only arguments they have left are discrimination and a pathological desire to control the actions of others - The moral high ground crumbles beneath their feet if they persist after learning the facts of the matter - :)

Last edited:
I for one will not allow my actions to be dictated by the ignorance of others - Any misconceptions others may have about what they THINK they see happening are understandable - It does look like you are smoking - I will be more than happy to politely educate them on the REALITY. My first exposure to the concept came from seeing someone using an e-cig in a public place - I am so greatful now to that man! That was a month ago - I got my own the next day and haven't even wanted tobacco again! I am now a non-smoker!

Society has spent far too much time of late placating the ignorant in efforts not to offend - I have no desire to offend anyone with my actions - But - I will not be held responsible for the perception of offense contrived by the imagination of the underdeveloped intellect of the misinformed - I refuse to dumb myself down for the sake of political correctness -

For years smokers have been pushed outside or into little rooms in the back to avoid any offense or harm to others - I have understood and willingly complied with this valid and reasonable health concern - I can not subject myself to the same segregation when those concerns do not apply -

I do not smoke anymore and there should be a welcoming back into the land of the non-smoking areas - They would not be upset if they saw you using a nicotine inhaler, a patch or gum- No! - These very same people would pat you on the back and say "Congratulations - So awesome that you quit smoking!"

It is only by the process of educating the general public via first hand exposure to reality that we will receive our "Pat On The Back" and be awarded the non-smoker status that we have rightfully earned!

All vapors here should be proud of what you have done - You used your brains to find a solution to valid concerns - You have done the research and made an informed and educated decision that is in accordance with caring for your own health, the health of your loved ones and others around you - It is no more wrong to vape openly than it was for all the non-smokers to stop on the street and tell you "That's bad for you!" Or to post signs and warnings against smoking on every corner of Earth -

Now is the time to return the gift of education and educate those that urged us to change our habits and behaviors for all these years - Let them know that we have taken their advice - What more do they want? Once they understand what is taking place in reality the only arguments they have left are discrimination and a pathological desire to control the actions of others - The moral high ground crumbles beneath their feet if they persist after learning the facts of the matter - :)
-Amen...lol

I was at the home of an elderly, disabled lady tonight through our local Need-A-Break volunteer network, helping with her computer. As I stood there watching the machine boot up for the third or fourth time, I absentmindedly pulled out my e-cig and took a drag. Wasn't even thinking about what I was doing. "Is that a cigarette?" she asked. "Uh, no, it's a vaporizer," I replied. "Oh, okay." And that was that. I changed the subject to what was happening with her computer. Maybe if and when I go back, I'll educate her and her caregiver further on what an e-cig's all about.

~~Cheryl

daniel2828

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Iowa
www.photolink.com
I have to agree with Vapor Pete. Keep it down. I live in Iowa. Just last year it became illegal to smoke in public places. But prior to that, we couldn't smoke at places like grocery stores, Walmarts, etc., not because it was illegal to do so but because the individual businesses said no to it. So my rule of thumb is, if it wasn't OK to smoke then, don't vape there now. It's inconsiderate at the very least. I mean, just because it isn't illegal to fart in a public place, that doesn't mean I'm going to do it just to raise someone's ire. I WILL vape publicly when it's deemed appropriate (e.g., a bar for example), but not to cause a confrontation so much (I hate confrontation) as to enlighten smokers around me to the benefits of vaping. And by the way, I find it interesting that words like vape and vaping are tagged as misspelled words in this forum. :) Merrium/Webster, you need to update!

Bones

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2009
Austin, Texas
I have to agree with Vapor Pete. Keep it down. I live in Iowa. Just last year it became illegal to smoke in public places. But prior to that, we couldn't smoke at places like grocery stores, Walmarts, etc., not because it was illegal to do so but because the individual businesses said no to it. So my rule of thumb is, if it wasn't OK to smoke then, don't vape there now. It's inconsiderate at the very least. I mean, just because it isn't illegal to fart in a public place, that doesn't mean I'm going to do it just to raise someone's ire. I WILL vape publicly when it's deemed appropriate (e.g., a bar for example), but not to cause a confrontation so much (I hate confrontation) as to enlighten smokers around me to the benefits of vaping. And by the way, I find it interesting that words like vape and vaping are tagged as misspelled words in this forum. :) Merrium/Webster, you need to update!

yea - a Fart Stinks and is Offensive - There is nothing offensive about an e-cig - You have only offended their imagination - Sorry I just fail to see what what is inconsiderate about it - They are only being offended by what they THINK they see - What is actually happening carries no offense in Smell, Health Risks, or Fire Hazard and if you are vaping Propylene Glycol then you are most likely doing a Public Service by disinfecting the air and protecting them from Swine-Flu - Educate - Air Germicide - TIME

Last edited:

verhoeven

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
Poplar Grove, IL
Makes no difference what you do. People in power will control the outcome. The tea parties across the
Country had no affect. They were view as racist against a black president. Millions of people can come
Together and not have any effect on taxes. I’ve changed my view on vaping. Use it anyway you want.
The outcome will be controlled by the government, not by someone vaping in Wal-Mart.

I see a ban coming by the year end. Our freedoms are slowly disappearing.

What we need are 300,00 e-smokers armed with weapons to storm the capitol.
Let me know the date, I’ll be there.

Bash me if you want, but these are my feelings, period.

JustMeAgain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2009
Springfield, MO
So my rule of thumb is, if it wasn't OK to smoke then, don't vape there now. It's inconsiderate at the very least.

I understand that there are some people who are more comfortable putting themselves in a situation that might cause a confrontation. My way around this is I have kind of a jokey attitude about most things, so just being lighthearted about it makes it easier for me. That's just a difference in personality, and if someone seemed like they were really going to spaz out about it, I would def put it away.

When you say 'vaping is inconsiderate', do you mean that challanging their perceptions is inconsiderate or the vaping itself? :confused:

JustMeAgain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2009
Springfield, MO

I agree...great post, bones. I saw one for the first time in the mall (a SE kiosk), and I went over and asked the guy why no one was beating him with a baseball bat. :D Now that I think about it, it was the middle of the mall a week before Christmas, and no one was making a fuss over his 'smoking' and he had wandered away a bit from the kiosk, so it wasn't obvious he was selling something.

JustMeAgain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2009
Springfield, MO
Smoker for 14 years....Daughter asked her daddy to stop. Daddy is too weak, so he founder an alternative.

I really don't think I need to prove myself because I have concerns of "Second hand vaping." Especially when, my children are involved. I have never, exposed my daughter, sons or newborn to tobacco or it's by products willingly. I take precautions, after smoking that most do not when handling their children, like washing hands, smoking outside, never in the vehicle, and so forth. To you, this may sound extreme. To me, it's being a father.

Have you heard that now they're saying that to protect children, you'd have to change your clothes too because of the particles collected in fabric? It's called 3rd hand smoke. Not to negate what you did, just a little info.

BTW, I know perfume has been mentioned, but I'm allergic to some of those ingredients. I just avoid the perfume counter and will move if someone is wearing something that causes me problems. It never occured to me to tell them what kind/how much perfume they can wear.

I had a fairly violent reaction to one particular type. I took some medicine and went on with my day.

Last edited:

Bones

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2009
Austin, Texas
Smoker for 14 years....Daughter asked her daddy to stop. Daddy is too weak, so he founder an alternative.

I really don't think I need to prove myself because I have concerns of "Second hand vaping." Especially when, my children are involved. I have never, exposed my daughter, sons or newborn to tobacco or it's by products willingly. I take precautions, after smoking that most do not when handling their children, like washing hands, smoking outside, never in the vehicle, and so forth. To you, this may sound extreme. To me, it's being a father.

You do not have to prove your concern - that is not being questioned - There is scientific data to back up the health concerns of second hand smoke - To be fair it has been argued that those results are exaggerated greatly - I will not argue that point - Lets take it as a given that it is bad - The same does not exist in the case of Vapor - The argument that it has not been tested if a false one - It has - I have read the data sheets and test results that are posted here often so I won't post it again - Your concerns about tobacco smoking are valid and your actions to avoid it with your children is commendable - But on what do you base your concerns about the vapor?

Vapor may not be %100 without any risks - Although any risks present seems to be slight to the point of being negligible - But then again what is %100 SAFE in this world?- If that is the measure then you should know that water can kill you if you drink too much - We can't live in a space suit wrapped in bubble wrap -

What is interesting is if you look at air samples from any given city on the planet - The compounds found in these random air samples contain far more harmful chemicals than are found in an e-cig - and when I say "far more" I mean more by measure of volume, number of different types of compounds, and severity of risk.

Going to any shopping mall parking lot will expose you to several different carcinogens with each breath you take - While there has been no official statement of this and probably never will be - My research has led me to the clear conclusion that inhaling the vapor in an e-cig is SAFER than the AIR we breath every day - To go further there is strong evidence that Propylene Glycol has germicidal properties and it may well be that vaping around your children can protect them from viral infection -

Do you keep your child away from the mall because of the dangers of petroleum products and all of the other toxic emissions that exude from every pore of the plastic palace that is a mall? Do you not let your children in the car because auto crashes are one of leading causes of death? Do you keep them off of all sweets and candy because of the risk of childhood obesity, cavities, and diabetes?
:confused:

Last edited:

DaBrat

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Back end of GA
www.myspace.com
Noob Here!

Wow! Interesting discussion. Will I vape in public? Every chance I get......with respect. Not to irritate or cause confrontation but to have people ASK me questions so that people KNOW what this device is.

Over ten years ago I quit analogs completely using a Nicotrol inhaler (bad girl picked it up again). If you are not familiar with this device, it looks like the filter end off a pen ecig and nothing more. no smoke.... no fireworks. Even so (this was in the days when cigs were dessert immediately after dinner and smoking had not been banned in most places) I received odd looks and questions if I took my inhaler out in the non-smoking section. I found myself having to explain over and over again exactly what the device was.

To the poster who stated that nicotine is a poison and pestiside.. you are correct it is used as a pesticide and not only when you fill your ecig, but when you peel a patch or handle anything containing noctine it is advised that you wash your hands. Fortunately nicotine is absorbed quickly not only by the lungs but the mucosa lining the mouth. More than likely the nicotine you exhale while vaping is lees than I exhaled as a two pack a day smoker without lighhting up. You know those who .... it out before entering the establishment?

See a chronic smoker not only exhales nicotine virtually 24/7 due to it NOT being completely absorbed through the layer of tar on the lungs and the damage to the cillia of the lungs. Even more, that smoker has those 4000+ chemicals clinging to their clothes which is what you smell when they walk by. I would hope that we as a country would not want to deny those smokers the right to enjoy a meal out or a movie because of the toxins that have been absorbed deep into the fibers of their clothes.

That being said, yes I would vape in public, maybe that stinky smoker, jonsing for a smoke more than dessert would ask me what it is and maybe just maybe they would get a PV of their own, maybe just maybe I wouldhelp someone enjoy a higher quality of life minus the 4000+ checmicals.

Talen

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
East Coast U.S.A/Thailand
I see nothing wrong with vaping in public, sure it will upset some non smokers but how else will everyone get educated on what this is.

I absolutely won't be joining smokers in smoking areas as I think this will do nothing more than reinforce a negative in non smokers minds.

If you do nothing the FDA and government will do what they want anyway but there is a chance that if more people understand what this is the outcome might be different or reversed if banned.

I wonder where we would be now if our forefathers had been less offensive and confrontational. They could have been nicer regarding the tea tax instead of dumping it all in the water.

bigeyes

ECF Veteran
May 5, 2009
Have you heard that now they're saying that to protect children, you'd have to change your clothes too because of the particles collected in fabric? It's called 3rd hand smoke. Not to negate what you did, just a little info.

BTW, I know perfume has been mentioned, but I'm allergic to some of those ingredients. I just avoid the perfume counter and will move if someone is wearing something that causes me problems. It never occured to me to tell them what kind/how much perfume they can wear.

I had a fairly violent reaction to one particular type. I took some medicine and went on with my day.
See, that pisses me off, because I can't just take some medicine and go on with my day. I can end up home vomiting and with a headache that can last for up to 3 days because someone is wearing so much perfume I can smell them 15 feet away. Because so many products are over-scented now I am practically a prisoner in my own home and virtually unemployable because of other people's smelliness. But my e-cig, that I use in my own home is probably going to be outlawed? That's fair. :rolleyes:

Perfume contains toxic ingredients that are unregulated, yet smokers and vapers are hassled mercilessly. It's not fair. If people can whine about how toxic tobacco and nicotine are, then why the hell can't perfume be regulated too?

There are cancer causing and brain damage inducing ingredients in perfumes that are regulated in other industries, yet they are not regulated in the perfume industry. That is incredibly effed up, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread