Calling all VModians - What would YOU mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
OK folks, I'm going to (finally) start my VMod modifying and just thought I'd ask What would YOU want to see different?

My plan at this point is to shorten it, add a Kick, and strengthen the chassis but I'm open to any/all ideas! Would you add an LED? Charging port? Coffee making capabilities?

I'm not sure exactly what I will/won't do to my VMod but would love to hear some suggestions!

YoMa!

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2012
Richmond, VA USA
I dropped mine and the round metal that sits flush with the plastic where the atomizer goes in popped out. A few frightening taps with a screwdriver handle took care of it. I would like to see something that keeps the cover more stable so pressure isn't put on the part screwing into it by the cone. I think with it being just pressed in, it weakens the fit when I push the button even while holding onto the bottom.

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
YoMa! You mean this part?

pushedUp.jpg

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
lol, I have a Twist and was just chatting with someone (I'll leave them nameless because I'm not sure if they'd want it known?) last night about that VERY thing, putting the Twist's circuitry into the VMod. I'm not sure how easy it'd be to disassemble a Twist (and I only have 1 right now) but I like the idea A LOT!

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I'm in the development stage of replacing the shell with a longer aluminum box. I plan on extending the chassis, so I can use an 18650 with my Kick. I love the VmodXL with the Kick, but having to swap batts @ ~5-6hrs blows goat. I have a little zippered case for 2 extra batts, but it's still a pain, and I'd rather reduce the bulge in my pocket. I may add an LED under the bottle, as I'll have a ton of space there when it's complete. I'm going to have to shave the chassis a bit and grind the ridge in the box, but I should have a snug fit when it's all done. Oh yeh, I'm adding a Nagant 7.62mm casing to the button, so as to be able to keep the box flat on all sides (won't have the curved notch on top).

I actually considered making an extension, so I could just wire-up my dna 12, but it would have neccessitated cutting the springs from the switch and batt neg. I didn't want to do that tho.

This is the box I'm using: Aluminum Box Enclosure Case -4.33"*1.73"*0.90"((L*W*H)

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
I have a 1000 mah on the way. Maybe I'll get a less expensive 650 mah for the hack.

If you do let me know how it goes! I may have to get myself another one and see if I can take it apart (without totally breaking it, the drawback of having paws instead of hands!)

Last edited:

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
I'm in the development stage of replacing the shell with a longer aluminum box. I plan on extending the chassis, so I can use an 18650 with my Kick. I love the VmodXL with the Kick, but having to swap batts @ ~5-6hrs blows goat. I have a little zippered case for 2 extra batts, but it's still a pain, and I'd rather reduce the bulge in my pocket. I may add an LED under the bottle, as I'll have a ton of space there when it's complete. I'm going to have to shave the chassis a bit and grind the ridge in the box, but I should have a snug fit when it's all done. Oh yeh, I'm adding a Nagant 7.62mm casing to the button, so as to be able to keep the box flat on all sides (won't have the curved notch on top).

I actually considered making an extension, so I could just wire-up my dna 12, but it would have neccessitated cutting the springs from the switch and batt neg. I didn't want to do that tho.

This is the box I'm using: Aluminum Box Enclosure Case -4.33"*1.73"*0.90"((L*W*H)

Since you're adding length can you add the dna charging capabilities too in the extra space? Are you planning on placing the Kick inline with (i.e. above) the battery or besides it (i.e. below the bottle)? I've seen it done both ways. If you're going with the Kick above the battery then there should be enough room (haven't measured it but off the top of my head I think it'd fit) to put the charging circuitry below the bottle.

Looking at the case you're going to use I wonder if swapping batteries will be harder than on a stock VMod, especially since it appears it'll require a screwdriver? If so I think you should definitely consider adding charging that way you'd only need to be able to open it to refill the bottle or if the battery needs actual replacement.

Keep me posted on how it goes!

If someone wants to go with TWO 18650's for tons of battery life this case looks promising:
http://www.rfsupplier.com/aluminum-enclosure-case-433276094lwh-p-1110.html

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I'm actually going to drill the top cover, so the "chimney" goes through (as the original shell) and a second hole for the bullet casing/button extension and have the chassis slide out the bottom, as we're all used to. I'll place the kick in-line, like I have the 18500, now, too.

With cutting the chassis for the extension, yes, there would be more room below the bottle, but would extend the battery enclosure, as well. This would make the space too long for the 18650, unless I only cut the chassis bottom below the bottle. This gives me an idea! I'll post pics in this thread when it's complete. Productive way to spend a Memorial Day. :toast:
Since you're adding length can you add the DNA charging capabilities too in the extra space? Are you planning on placing the Kick inline with (i.e. above) the battery or besides it (i.e. below the bottle)? I've seen it done both ways. If you're going with the Kick above the battery then there should be enough room (haven't measured it but off the top of my head I think it'd fit) to put the charging circuitry below the bottle.

Looking at the case you're going to use I wonder if swapping batteries will be harder than on a stock VMod, especially since it appears it'll require a screwdriver? If so I think you should definitely consider adding charging that way you'd only need to be able to open it to refill the bottle or if the battery needs actual replacement.

Keep me posted on how it goes!

If someone wants to go with TWO 18650's for tons of battery life this case looks promising:
Aluminum Box Enclosure Case -4.33"*2.76"*0.94"(L*W*H)

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Totally changed directions after that last post hehe. Actually, I'm gonna fit the DNA 12 under the bottle providing the electronics store has a small enough 10K pot. It's gotta be low enough to allow the bottle to thread out or narrow enough to let the bottle pass by. I had to slot the divider between the batt/bottle to slide the board in so that the neg spring actually gets soldered into the neg pin on the DNA board.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Here is my 30 min burl wood vinyl skin job...
B4
DSC04656.jpg

After, side w seam. My wife says seam belongs on the edge, button side. (she can wrap the next one)
DSC04664.jpg

Other side
DSC04662.jpg

So IMO burl has been overdone. So when I get bored w this pattern I have some carbon fiber which will be next. FTR, I wrapped a boxmod with some mini diamond plate and it was atrocious. Actually it was a Puck so it had all kinds of geometric difficulties. Point is I removed the vinyl and it leaves no signs at all. This stuff is like $5 per 12"x12" sheet. For those prices go nuts.

kaykay

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2011
concrete jungle
Here is my 30 min burl wood vinyl skin job...
B4
DSC04656.jpg

After, side w seam. My wife says seam belongs on the edge, button side. (she can wrap the next one)
DSC04664.jpg

Other side
DSC04662.jpg

So IMO burl has been overdone. So when I get bored w this pattern I have some carbon fiber which will be next. FTR, I wrapped a boxmod with some mini diamond plate and it was atrocious. Actually it was a Puck so it had all kinds of geometric difficulties. Point is I removed the vinyl and it leaves no signs at all. This stuff is like $5 per 12"x12" sheet. For those prices go nuts.
where did u get this vinyl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread