Calling all VModians - What would YOU mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stGenRex

Verified Member
Mar 24, 2012
United States
Must be Vinyl wrapping day. I just did mine today too. I did the top part a bit differently than Kelvin though, I made that a separate piece, not wrapping it over the top. and I put the seam at the front, bisecting the bottle. Even the seam on the cone lines up on mine :D

Wp1TX.jpg

vinnyvango

Verified Member
Aug 2, 2011
Clinton, MS
Totally changed directions after that last post hehe. Actually, I'm gonna fit the dna 12 under the bottle providing the electronics store has a small enough 10K pot. It's gotta be low enough to allow the bottle to thread out or narrow enough to let the bottle pass by. I had to slot the divider between the batt/bottle to slide the board in so that the neg spring actually gets soldered into the neg pin on the dna board.

I have to see pictures of this! I've been playing with the kick under the bottle mod and I had considered the DNA approach as well. I am reluctant to cut the divider as this is the only structural support for the bottom.

I'm actually liking the Twist idea as well. Do you have a picture of the electronics?

Thanks! Keep us posted.

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
I only have one Twist (and like it) so I haven't torn one apart (yet...). I did open up a different vv mod but it's a stack battery mod and so the guts won't work for what I want to do (boost voltage, not regulate down the voltage). I like the adjustment buttons and display of it though (the display is red and I wish it was white or blue, plus the display is IMO overly bright but that I could tone down with some window tint film).

IMG_0004-1.jpg

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Ok Vmodians, I have news to report. Andy Thatcher came up with a great idea and I executed it. I installed a Vivi Nova head in a Vmod XL juice well. I used a 306 XL drip sleeve, which happens to perfectly accept the silicone cap that sits on top of the Vivi head. The Vivi heads are 510 threaded on the bottom. I am talking about the replaceable head portion. So at first I put in a 2.5Ω head and the resistance was just too much. So I then rebuilt the head to 1.6Ω and it was pretty good, I used 32 Kanthal and 3 strips of the thin silica wick. I would compare it to any regular 510 atty. The next goal is to raise the wattage by either installing a Kick or a 5v NiMh batt. So for any of you interested, the Vivi Nova replaceable head just threads in to the juice well, and a 306 xl drip sleeve slips over the top. The draw is adjustable by raising or lowering the sleeve. I recommend putting the silicone cap into the sleeve first. Then insert the head into the cap that is already in the sleeve. Finally slide it into the Vmod and thread it in. This can all be done with the cone in place.

EDIT : Ok it appears as if I was mistaken in giving Andy T credit for the idea. I do not have the name of the person who originated the idea but Andy informs me that it was not him it was someone in the XL thread.
Also Andy was using mesh wick and a Kanthal coil.
Another idea brought up is to cut a strip of mesh approx 1mm wide, it can be used as coil material. This is something I will be trying, most likely in something with a little more clearance than a Vivi head.

Last edited:

Geiseric

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Duluth, MN
As I posted in the mdding forum, I ordered a DNA with the intention of placing it under the bottle vertically. Hoping it with fit, it looks like it will but it has an odd shape and its hard to say if it will just by measurements alone. I also have some concerns about the heat of the heatsink.

Anyways, has anyone had any luck with cutting out the posative lead going to the atty? That is one thing I'm really dreading, it looks difficult. If I figure it all out, I'll post pics and a guide when its all said and done.

Additionally, any recomendations on a small pot for it? I hate to go the trim style route, kind of seems to defeat the purpose of having variable wattage (being adjustable on the fly) but that is the only pot style I have seen that is small enough to share the space under the bottle. A mini wheel type pot would really fit the bill quite nicely.

*edit* android keyboard fail.

Last edited:

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Why not just run a wire? But you gotta look at the Nivel chip. Not sure about the fit but you wouldn't have to cut much, it's pre-wired and settiings are done by tapping the power button, a small lcd screen epoxied thru the bottom is how I see it.

That is one amazing piece. It doesn't get any easier. It makes so any of us noob modders can look great!
Thanks for the heads up.

Geiseric

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Duluth, MN
bilboda:6614317 said:
Why not just run a wire? But you gotta look at the Nivel chip. Not sure about the fit but you wouldn't have to cut much, it's pre-wired and settiings are done by tapping the power button, a small lcd screen epoxied thru the bottom is how I see it.

I looked at it earlier, I still decided to go with the DNA. I impulse bought it earlier today. On running a wire: that is the plan. However, the DNA has a seperate line for atty, batt, and switch. I have to seperate the switch on both sides. The negative side will be done in the style of the kick mods shown previously. But I also have to cut it off from the atomizer on the posative side. I can run a soldered wire down from the spring of the button, that's easy. But the spring runs from the back of the plastic casing along to the 510 connection, and its out of reach for the length of it. I'm not sure how I'm going to get at it to cut it without mangling it, and how I'm going to pull the cut end out to solder with damaging its connection to the 510 thread. I'm hoping it will bend a little without issue. I'm also concerned that when I cut it the spring will lose tension and uncoil enough to screw up the button's functionality.

Last edited:

tonyfalkon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
mars
The dna 12 will fit flat on the bottom if you put it on the side you will have to switch to the 4.5ml bottle. But that's the least of your problem, as you pointed out you will need to be cutting a lot, part of the reason why is that the vmod was designed simply a tube mod that's been squared :laugh::laugh:

I could be wrong and those cuts and solders are as easy as pie, GL with your mod and please post pics of your project in progress.

Geiseric

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Duluth, MN
I got it today. It would only fit flat if I trimmed off some of the edges of the circuit board and slotted through the case structure. I think its time to make an all wood case upgrade for my boge rev 2, and by that I mean yank the bottle and atomizer connection system and toss the rest. Maybe I'll keep the button, I like it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread