Can an atty dry out during long term storing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindsoup

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2010
New York
Hello Vets...I was wondering what the best way to long term store an atty is. I just pulled a few out that i bought a few months ago. All the primer fluid had dried up on them. All three of the atty's produce very weak vapor. In the past for me, a brand new atty would work awesome right from the get go. I guess my questions are:

1. What is the best way to store atty's?
2. If a brand new atty dries up over time, does that ruin the atty for good?

Thanks for reading, and Happy Holidays...

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Happy Holidays to you too, blindsoup!
I've not had this experience, and I open up attys bought more than a year ago, with no issues. If they were sealed in plastic, a few months should not have let all the PG primer out. As far as I know, long-term storage is just don't open the plastic wrapper, and leave them alone. Perhaps these never had PG primer at all, and were not good attys. I even have attys I have used, cleaned, dried out, and stored dry for months, and they fire right up when I finally get to them.

Then again, mine are all 510 attys, so other types might have more corrosion-susceptible components.

Things I would try if this happened to my 510 attys:

1. Test resistance. If it is much higher than I am expecting (hard to say for yours without knowing the type), then go to 2.

2. Dry burn the atty for several 5 sec bursts, and look for strong glow from the coil. Let cool, and remeasure resistance. If no better then, last ditch, go to 3.

3. Clean the atty in a hot polydent solution for 12 hours, rinse relatively aggressively with hot water, dry it thoroughly inside and out with a paper towel, then let sit out to further dry for a day or so. Then dry burn again, check resistance.

If the resistance is much higher than I am expecting (~2.5 for a 510), then the atty has either gone bad somehow, or it was never right to begin with, with or without primer. Might be good to save for a future high-volt PV, as it might be great with it. Oh, wait, I see you are well armed with HV PVs!!

If the resistance is good, and the glow is good (should be if resistance is good), then it is a wicking problem, and not getting juice from the cart. Try dripping a few drops on the bridge. If resistance is good it should vape.

If you don't have a good digital multimeter, consider getting one. You can get a great Sperry for about $40. Given your impressive artillery, it is a must-have. Also given that your mods generally are fitted for 510 attys, and 5V is your highest voltage, anything above 3.8 ohms may be still weak for you.

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread