Can Burnt Taste Linger In Liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
battery safety is 6-10 sec shutoff (generally)

yes , for sure you can transfer burnt taste in fluid in tank
you need to WASH it all, run HOT tap water on everything (tank,base,old coil)
if your not goofin with coils yet, soak your burnt taste one in PGA (maybe help)

new burnt taste sounds like user error
did you let wick soak long enuff ?
start low Volts and work up slowly ?

give it all a good clean , and start over fresh :)

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
battery safety is 6-10 sec shutoff (generally)

yes , for sure you can transfer burnt taste in fluid in tank
you need to WASH it all, run HOT tap water on everything (tank,base,old coil)
if your not goofin with coils yet, soak your burnt taste one in PGA (maybe help)

new burnt taste sounds like user error
did you let wick soak long enuff ?
start low Volts and work up slowly ?

give it all a good clean , and start over fresh :)

No I didn't do any of that. I'm a stupid newbie so I just jacked up the voltage and took a big puff of yuck. Seriously. Although to my own defense like I said earlier the high voltage was working fine with a different brand of juice so I didn't think anything of it.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    So you are saying the higher the voltage, the higher the ohms?

Ohms. Have you seen the Safe Vaping Power Chart (sic)? Hard to read here, easy to look up. It gives the proper guideline for Ohms vs Volts.

safe_vaping.jpg

Last edited:
    For the record, when I got my first VV/VW, and after watching guys on YT vape 1.8ohms at 4+volts with no apparent issues, I cranked up the volts and hit it. Phbbb, burned as hell! Don't know what's up, all I can say is you can't trust everything you see on TV these days. Dumped juice, changed coil and head, and started again. Trust the safe voltage chart instead and ignore the hot-doggers!

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    For the record, when I got my first VV/VW, and after watching guys on YT vape 1.8ohms at 4+volts with no apparent issues, I cranked up the volts and hit it. Phbbb, burned as hell! Don't know what's up, all I can say is you can't trust everything you see on TV these days. Dumped juice, changed coil and head, and started again. Trust the safe voltage chart instead and ignore the hot-doggers!

Who says learning can('t) be fun?

Rickajho

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    To continue on this train of thought, so that I don't make this mistake again, is there any advice on how to use higher voltages without burning? Lower or higher ohm heads for example? I really enjoyed the vape of the high voltage while it was working before I had this problem with the burning.

Geez, that's a lot of variables to consider. I can't recall if it was the high PG or the high VG liquid that was working at the higher voltage. That's one point in this equation: PG, VG and different flavorings can all be "happy" at different voltages. There is no hard and fast rule about that. You only want to find the voltage that works for any given liquid and it might not be as high a voltage as you think. It's case by case just moving from one liquid to the next alone.

Resistance of the coils is easier to factor for. The lower the resistance, the faster and hotter the coil gets at a lower voltage. When it comes to the Kanger designs I'm of the opinion that none of it really works well at or needs high voltage. It just doesn't. I have a PT coil right now that's metering 2.6 ohms. If I run that thing much higher than 3.6 volts the liquid I'm using goes harsh. You can very quickly reach a point with the Kanger BCC's where you are vaping liquid faster than the wick can absorb it if you push the voltage too high. (As you sorta found out.)

That being said, I won't even buy the 1.8 ohm coils. When those things are new even 3.2 volts can be too much - there's no room to adjust the battery voltage down any further. What are supposed to be 2.2 ohm coils in my last batch all seem to measure higher than that. It's just something to consider when buying coils. New they meter typically around 2.4 ohms and only increase in resistance with use. The bottom line is if you want to run higher voltages with Kanger stuff you need to lean toward the higher resistance coils. I'd suggest at least the 2.2 ohm but you may want to try the 2.5 ohm as well if you can find a place stocking them. I've never gone anywhere near the upper voltage limit of your Twist with Kanger BCC's. Maybe 4.0 volts tops with a 2,2 ohm coil that was overdue for a cleaning. You will still have plenty of voltage "room" to play around with even with the 2.5 ohm coils.

vaperature

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 8, 2013
    Chicago
    Geez, that's a lot of variables to consider. I can't recall if it was the high PG or the high VG liquid that was working at the higher voltage. That's one point in this equation: PG, VG and different flavorings can all be "happy" at different voltages. There is no hard and fast rule about that. You only want to find the voltage that works for any given liquid and it might not be as high a voltage as you think. It's case by case just moving from one liquid to the next alone.

Resistance of the coils is easier to factor for. The lower the resistance, the faster and hotter the coil gets at a lower voltage. When it comes to the Kanger designs I'm of the opinion that none of it really works well at or needs high voltage. It just doesn't. I have a PT coil right now that's metering 2.6 ohms. If I run that thing much higher than 3.6 volts the liquid I'm using goes harsh. You can very quickly reach a point with the Kanger BCC's where you are vaping liquid faster than the wick can absorb it if you push the voltage too high. (As you sorta found out.)

That being said, I won't even buy the 1.8 ohm coils. When those things are new even 3.2 volts can be too much - there's no room to adjust the battery voltage down any further. What are supposed to be 2.2 ohm coils in my last batch all seem to measure higher than that. It's just something to consider when buying coils. New they meter typically around 2.4 ohms and only increase in resistance with use. The bottom line is if you want to run higher voltages with Kanger stuff you need to lean toward the higher resistance coils. I'd suggest at least the 2.2 ohm but you may want to try the 2.5 ohm as well if you can find a place stocking them. I've never gone anywhere near the upper voltage limit of your Twist with Kanger BCC's. Maybe 4.0 volts tops with a 2,2 ohm coil that was overdue for a cleaning. You will still have plenty of voltage "room" to play around with even with the 2.5 ohm coils.

Tomorrow the new Kanger ProTank 3 comes out. It has double coils, two 4 ohms factoring in together at 2 ohms. So you're basically saying I shouldn't even bother using a VV battery with that since 2 ohms would be too low for any higher voltage?

vaperature

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 8, 2013
    Chicago
    Just to follow up, after getting the taste out of my mouth, the new liquid tasted better but still had a slight funk to it. I did what someone above recommended, completely washed out everything, washed out the tank with hot water, washed the head and then dry burned it and only now is it back to normal. So I guess we have an answer here. After a massive burn like that the only answer is to dump the juice and wash it all out otherwise the burnt taste will still be in there.

Last edited:

wheezal

Insane Halon
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 27, 2013
    Austin, Tx
    Just to follow up, after getting the taste out of my mouth, the new liquid tasted better but still had a slight funk to it. I did what someone above recommended, completely washed out everything, washed out the tank with hot water, washed the head and then dry burned it and only now is it back to normal. So I guess we have an answer here. After a massive burn like that the only answer is to dump the juice and wash it all out otherwise the burnt taste will still be in there.

i say go the other way....burn some newspaper, copper salts, and animal fur...dump them into your tank and let that simmer!

just pile on moar burnt tastes! eventually, seeing that everything is cylcial...ciclycal...cilimical....seeing that everything is circular, you'll eventually pass maximum burnt flavor and come back to normal tasting stuffs!

Myrany

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    Mirany's Instructions for VV for the new user

1. Start at the lowest setting your device allows and take a vape.
    2. Crank it up one notch and take a vape.
    Did you have any foul taste (burnt or otherwise unpleasant)?
    If yes then crank it down a notch and vape at that setting
    If no then go to #2

You want to use highest setting possible with no foul taste of any sort in most cases. There is no hard and fast rule for what that setting should be. It varies alot with personal preference, resistance, type of device and individual juice.

Mark Anthony

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Scranton, Pa USA
    I usually don't have the burnt flavor linger in my juice since as soon as I get a burnt hit I'll pull the coils out and replace and clean the burnt one if it is still good enough to clean and re-use. But if you don't have that option to swap it out fast then maybe it can tarnish the flavor a bit.

vaperature

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 8, 2013
    Chicago
    Mirany's Instructions for VV for the new user

1. Start at the lowest setting your device allows and take a vape.
    2. Crank it up one notch and take a vape.
    Did you have any foul taste (burnt or otherwise unpleasant)?
    If yes then crank it down a notch and vape at that setting
    If no then go to #2

You want to use highest setting possible with no foul taste of any sort in most cases. There is no hard and fast rule for what that setting should be. It varies alot with personal preference, resistance, type of device and individual juice.

Haven't cranked it up beyond 4 since. Too afraid. LOL.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread