Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I would imagine it won't be a problem. IIRC @Rossum just let his freeze again after thawing.

Rossum is extremely knowledgeable regarding storage and degradation of nicotine, he completed some personal tests. I tried to find his thread on the topic but he posts to damn much :) 30 pages come up when I search his username and the keyword nicotine.

Try the search, he share's a bunch of good info on nic. And here are a couple links I pilfered from one of his posts

Storing Nicotine
Wizard Labs advice on nicotine storage (LONG POST)

Last edited:

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Rossum is extremely knowledgeable regarding storage and degradation of nicotine, he completed some personal tests. I tried to find his thread but has posts to damn much :) 30 pages come up when I search his username and the keyword nicotine.

Try the search, he share's a bunch of good info on nic. And here are a couple links I pilfered from one of his posts

Storing Nicotine
Wizard Labs advice on nicotine storage (LONG POST)
Thanks! I'll check it out

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Just wondering since you shouldn't refreeze thawed food if nicotine was similar.
Food is made up of living, or at least once-living things. Living things are made of cells. Cells contain a lot of water. When water freezes, it forms crystal structures which expand. These expanding crystal structures pierce the cell walls causing the cells to lose their rigidity and become limp once thawed.

Your nicotine solution is made up of refined nicotine and refined glycerol and/or propylene glycol. There are no whole cells, and very little water.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Just don't tell that to the tobacco lobby.
They already know and have repetively attempted to confuse them with poisonous auto antifreezes. They are not poisonous. Many many materials have freezing points well below that of water and any of them can be used for that purpose

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I would imagine it won't be a problem. IIRC @Rossum just let his freeze again after thawing.
Yep, I've got some that has assumed room temperature for more than a week due to the power outage after hurricane Irma here. I also have some control samples that have been kept at room temperature the entire time. Huge difference.

That reminds me, we're coming up on one year for the samples here, which means I need to update the Nic Base Storage: Freezer Experiment thread.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Ecig bases are all usable as antifreeze. They don’t freeze in a regular freezer they just stay cold. You can take them out of the freezer and put them back again as much as you want
You can. But with one caveat: Let it come to room temperature before you open the bottle. You do not want to open a cold bottle; doing so will allow condensation to form inside the bottle, meaning your nic will be somewhat "watered down". Now that isn't really the end of the world, but... I means your mixes won't be exact with respect to nicotine or water content.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I get my nic in 100 ml bottles purged with nitrogen and sealed from nude nicotine. they get dated and go straight to the freezer when I get them then I open the bottles one at a time as I use it I keep the open bottle in the fridge.
Thats just what I do and Ive have nic in upwards of two years old I have a 5 or 6 year supply.So far this has worked great for me.
My first nic purchase was a 100 ml dropper bottle I dont even remember from where i kept it in a cabinet for a month or two and eventually the fridge in about 6 months it turned brown i eventually gave it to someone who was starting to DYI

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
You would have to thaw it out to use it, even if you only used a few ml. Would you then leave the remainder out of the freezer after that, or would you pop it back in the freezer when finished?
Personally, I mix down a whole 120 ml bottle of 100 mg base to vapable strength at one time. Then I re-bottle the vaping-strength base in 120 ml bottles and put all but one of them back in the freezer. This works for me because I vape mostly unflavored, and it avoids a large number of thermal cycles on the 100 mg base.

If I were doing my mixing more conventionally, I would probably split each 120 ml bottle of 100 mg base into four 30 ml bottles as soon as I opened it, and I'd put three of them back in the freezer while keeping the working one out; I'd probably keep that one in the fridge when not using it.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
You can. But with one caveat: Let it come to room temperature before you open the bottle. You do not want to open a cold bottle; doing so will allow condensation to form inside the bottle, meaning your nic will be somewhat "watered down". Now that isn't really the end of the world, but... I means your mixes won't be exact with respect to nicotine or water content.

Do you suggest keeping open bottles that you are currently using to mix with in the refrigerator or just in a cabinet at room temp. If kept in the refrigerator do you still need to let it come to room temp each time?

Reactions: Anise

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Do you suggest keeping open bottles that you are currently using to mix with in the refrigerator or just in a cabinet at room temp. If kept in the refrigerator do you still need to let it come to room temp each time?
Based on what I've seen happening to 100mg nic base at room temperature, I would definitely refrigerate it.

IMO whether refrigerated nic needs to come to room temperature before you open it will depend on ambient conditions. Take it out, wait for 5 minutes. If there's enough humidity in the air to form condensation on the outside of the bottle, I would not open it until whatever condensation formed on the outside had all evaporated again. If no condensation forms on the outside of the bottle in those first 5 minutes, I'd probably not worry about opening it at that point.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Based on what I've seen happening to 100mg nic base at room temperature, I would definitely refrigerate it.

IMO whether refrigerated nic needs to come to room temperature before you open it will depend on ambient conditions. Take it out, wait for 5 minutes. If there's enough humidity in the air to form condensation on the outside of the bottle, I would not open it until whatever condensation formed on the outside had all evaporated again. If no condensation forms on the outside of the bottle in those first 5 minutes, I'd probably not worry about opening it at that point.

Thanks!

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread