Status
Not open for further replies.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Can I freeze eliquids containing flavoring?(store bought premixed glass or plastic bottles containing pg/ vg/ flavor and nic)
I dont see why not. freezing isnt really the right word the the chemicals in vape juice do not freeze at 0 degrees the temp of most people freezer more like cold storage seems like a more accurate description

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
It has been stated by several flavoring suppliers that flavoring concentrates should not be frozen. I'm not sure how this applies to ready to vape liquids but I store my ready to vape liquids in a cool dark closet and have done so for years without issue.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Can I freeze eliquids containing flavoring?(store bought premixed glass or plastic bottles containing pg/ vg/ flavor and nic)
I'm not sure if there's any science behind it, but flavors and finished liquids are generally recommended not to be frozen. Some people keep them in the fridge. Unflavored nic base is kept in the freezer, and PG/VG are fine at room temperature as far as I know.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I'm not sure if there's any science behind it, but flavors and finished liquids are generally recommended not to be frozen. Some people keep them in the fridge. Unflavored nic base is kept in the freezer, and PG/VG are fine at room temperature as far as I know.
Thanks for letting me know. I think I'll stick to the fridge. We don't fight over that as much.

Reactions: kas122461

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Coolness. Thanks a lot. Now to convince hubs to give up freezer space.
LOL -- I had that battle with my wife. We continue to cohabitate happily since I got a small (2.1 cubic feet) freezer dedicated to my nic.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Afaik, no, thoughbyou can refrigerate them. The problem is the flavorings often have water or volitiles in them that react badly to freezing. My first nderstanding is it is very flavor dependent, but enough of them suffer flavor change that I would call it inadvisable in general. They will last a long time in the fridge though

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I'm taking over both drawers in the fridge. I have a lot of mixed eliquid. I'm ummm well heck, I'm addicted to buying eliquid. There I said it. And I have a friend who mixes their own and sends me some which is good cause its free. I still have samples that I'm tucking in among the luncheon meat. Maybe hubs won't notice. Thanks for all y'alls wisdom. I'm sure hubs thanks you too. At least until he makes a sandwich.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
...I also have some control samples that have been kept at room temperature the entire time. Huge difference.
I acknowledge your superior knowledge of the subject. But, I'm just finishing up on a supply of base nicotine I bought at around six years ago. Purchased at 100mg and diluted to 43mg for further dilution and use. This has never been treated to freezing temperatures, just low light in tinted glass, at room temperature.
Is it your opinion that there is less nicotine due to my 'poor' storage technique? Have I been mislead by my belief that nicotine is a very stable molecule? In spite of my admittedly casual storage, the end product has remained satisfactory so far as I can determine.

Perhaps I have unknowingly been decreasing my nicotine consumption? I'm doubtful, but always willing to learn.

Thanks.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I recognize your superior knowledge of the subject. But, I'm just finishing up on a supply of base nicotine I bought at around six years ago. Purchased at 100mg and diluted to 43mg for further dilution and use. This has never been treated to freezing temperatures, just low light in tinted glass, at room temperature.
Is it your opinion that there is less nicotine due to my 'poor' storage technique? Have I been mislead by my belief that nicotine is a very stable molecule? In spite of my admittedly casual storage, the end product has remained satisfactory so far as I can determine.

Thanks.
@Coastal Cowboy doesn't freeze his either. IIRC doesn't refrigerate either and a has no issues.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I recognize your superior knowledge of the subject. But, I'm just finishing up on a supply of base nicotine I bought at around six years ago. Purchased at 100mg and diluted to 43mg for further dilution and use. This has never been treated to freezing temperatures, just low light in tinted glass, at room temperature.
I've not done any strength testing. My guess is that any reduction in strength is minor. However, every bottle of 100mg nic I've left at room temperature for any extended period has darkened, which is an indication of some oxidation. Now some people actually like the taste of oxidized nic, but I am not one of them; I like my nic as "fresh" and un-oxidized as possible.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I've not done any strength testing. My guess is that any reduction in strength is minor. However, every bottle of 100mg nic I've left at room temperature for any extended period has darkened, which is an indication of some oxidation. Now some people actually like the taste of oxidized nic, but I am not one of them; I like my nic as "fresh" and un-oxidized as possible.
Thank you for the speedy reply. And informative that you haven't done any "strength" testing. Oxidation/discoloring is another topic entirely. I'm pleased to say that, in my case at least, discoloration after six years at room temperature is minimal.

I feel there is entirely too much concern with base nicotine storage, from my personal experience. Storing in the freezer can't hurt. But, seriously, I question its worth.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I have always heard that oxidized nic is still nic but is a harsher, more peppery taste and more throat hit. I can't say I know from experience. Up until now I always ordered small amounts and used it quickly.
I don't know that I'd describe it as "peppery" exactly. I just know that I don't care for it much. Back when I ran the "blind test" in the Nicotine Comparison thread (just about 3 years ago, I think), I had about 150 ml total base left, and I made the unfortunate choice of leaving it in cupboard for a few months, in four separate 120 ml bottles, each with ~80 ml of head space. Every one of them got pretty dark, and I really didn't care for the stuff even after I mixed down to vaping strength (15 mg for me at the time). That was an eye-opening experience for me because I knew exactly what each of those nics tasted like when they were fresh 3 or 4 months earlier. I ended up vaping it all anyway. It took a while, but waste not, want not, right? I was happy when it was gone and I could make a new batch from nic that had been properly stored in the freezer.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I neither freeze nor refrigerate my nic base. I can't tell the difference flavor-wise between fresh nic base and the stuff I've had in CoolDarkPlace storage since October 2013. There is a color difference--the older stuff is darker, of course.

I keep about 50-60ml of unflavored nic around for those times a recipe ages and is clearly over flavored. I'll use my unflavored stash to try rescuing some of that recipe (with occasional success). I just added 20ml to that stash today, using the 2013 stuff and there was no harshness and no peppery flavor to the new addition. Both the 30ml-ish I had and today's 20ml taste almost exactly the same to me.

I don't mix juice above 12mg anymore. I'm at 3mg but I have mixed some 6mg and 12mg for some friends and they love the stuff. It's entirely possible that folks who mix stronger concentrations
(12+) can taste a difference in the base. That makes sense--if there's more nic in the juice, any flavor difference will be more noticeable.

The only times that I've gotten a peppery or harsh flavor was when the concentration of the nic was wrong. Either I used the wrong base concentration (that's happened to me) or I was working with a base that was mis-labeled (that's happened, too).

I see the freeze/no freeze decision as a judgment call. If you mix lower strength juice for yourself and a few friends, you'll probably be fine just keeping your stuff up in the cabinet like I have been for 4-1/2 years. If you mix stronger juice and you're selling it or giving it away far and wide, you might want to at least refrigerate. Totally up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread