Cancer Survival Story and or Reality Check!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiNi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Paulden, Arizona
Reality check:
Longevity runs on both sides of my family, 95-100 years of age is common, with no oxygen tank, walker, old people disease, etc., etc.
So one year past the 50 year mark, I decided I wasn't going to chance upping my odds of having a health issue for the next 45-50 years. Just need to figure out what I want to do for the next half of my life!:blink:

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
Congrats!

Yeah my dad lived to like 92....

I figured I should do what I can to stay healthier, hey I haven't had bronchitis in over 4 years!

Me well I put my genes to the test, jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, playing college football, ya' know I am super man..NOT

I am a bit older than you, and when I get up I hear "Snap, Crackle, Pop", and it ain't Rice Krispies LOL!

Reality check:
Longevity runs on both sides of my family, 95-100 years of age is common, with no oxygen tank, walker, old people disease, etc., etc.
So one year past the 50 year mark, I decided I wasn't going to chance upping my odds of having a health issue for the next 45-50 years. Just need to figure out what I want to do for the next half of my life!:blink:

boobez7389

Verified Member
Oct 4, 2013
Minnesota, USA
I received my reality check about 6 years ago when I was on my way into my brief orientation at my oncologist's office (before I was to begin my chemotherapy treatments). I was the person that refused to tell people that I was a smoker or I was a chewing tobacco user, but it had not completely sunk in how serious cancer can be and how important it is to live every day (in the day) because time is a very precious thing. Anyways, I walked into the doctor's office and he looked at me straight in the face and asked me if I was a smoker or had been and I give him the usual run around, but he stopped took a brief sigh and looked at me for a brief moment. He said, "It is very important that you do not smoke from this point on. What you have is very serious and if you don't treat it as such it may be ineffective in the long run." The tone of his voice hit me, just completely shook my perspective of my current situation. It was then that I decided to quit smoking cold turkey. It was successful but I credit the rigorous treatment of cisplatin and etoposide from the chemotherapy like daze I was in for the next three months as the crutch that got me over the hill. But as I underwent two more surgeries following all of this I found that the stress was building up and felt the need to light up again. I went to the drugstore to purchase a pack of camel crush's but instead found a cheap disposable e-cig for the same price as the pack and decided to go with what I felt was a more health contentious choice at the time. After vapeing a few of them I was looking for a cheaper supply online and found that they made refillable ones. Being the savvy shopper I am I decided to buy some juice and a rechargeable pen-style e-cig from an online retailer produced by "The Electronic Cigarette Company". From there on it's all history, I have made many local friends and purchased a few devices over the years and haven't looked back since. Today I work at a logistics company and take my breaks outside on a bench where I am joined by smokers. My friends and I who vape are not as bother by the smoke as non-smokers and have felt no urge to go back to smoking being that we are around the second had smoke of coworkers but rather enjoy conversations with them about our devices and what they have done for us. In these conversations we find that lots of people who are smokers don't necessarily want to be, but rather can't stop and I feel that it is my duty to spread the good word so that others do not have to experience what I had to.

Since I have started at work I've had four people who were smokers try vapeing. Two of those four have switched to vapeing, the third is temporarily vapeing as she is moving towards quitting everything altogether, and the final one will be going with me to a local vape shop towards the end of the week to buy one and begin his journey towards a healthier live by vapeing.

I originally felt like there was not a whole lot of out reach about e-cigs and vapeing directed at smokers. That was until I began joining online communities and making friends in my area who were more experienced vapers. It seems to be a universal feeling among vapers, we enjoy what we are doing by vapeing, we are passionate about it, and we wish to spread what it has done for us to just about anyone who is curious. These online communities are made up of incredible people who care about their health and the health of others and it makes me thankful for the people we have so far, and excited about the people who are joining now and are continuing to join daily.

I just want to close with a thank you to anyone and everyone who had a positive influence in my life directly and indirectly by growing and furthering this community, and those who have gone above and beyond by reaching out to others who have not had the chance to learn about and or try vapeing.

Thanks,
~Kevin

(P.S. sorry for any grammatical or spelling errors within this post, it is a tough and touching subject for me to rehash.)

Newagegirl

Sep 19, 2013
Orlando
Right as I started researching vaping my aunt was diagnosed with lung cancer. She's my 4th aunt diagnosed with a cancer and I figure I may not be able to erase what I've done to myself over the years but I can try to avoid continuing contributing to the chance of getting a cancer by quitting smoking. I don't need to live to be 100 but I would like to be healthy enough to enjoy retirement in 20 years.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
For me, I could careless about the health benifits...don't get me wrong, it's nice to be able to breath again but I didn't start vaping to get away from the thought of cancer because well I may not get lung cancer, cancer runs in my family and I will at some point have cervical cancer once the cells decide to turn cancerous instead of just being abnormal....

I quit smoking for my childrens health...I tried my best not to smoke around them but usually driving home after work and picking up my youngest I had to smoke....
my oldest I have no doubt will never smoke, she is totally against it but my youngest I started noticing she would mimic smoking with her french fries....

with that in mind and the price of cloves ($5 for a pack of 12 cloves) decided to cut costs and try vaping. Granted atm I haven't really saved any money...but for the most part (fingers crossed that nothing else goes wrong with any more pvs or tanks) come about July I will finally break even and start gaining money back from not buying smokes :)

Last edited:

boobez7389

Verified Member
Oct 4, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Amazing, glad to hear that you made a positive choice towards better health. And although no smoker cannot completely erase the fact that they smoked at one point or another, some of the things I have read and found online while doing personal researching about recovering from smoking, I've read that due to the damage that smoking does to the cillia in your lungs it takes on average about 10 years to undo the damage to your lungs (depending on severity). I say this not as something to bring people down, but rather you can undo much of the physical damage to your lungs with time. I noticed that after about 6 years I have what I remember to be what I feel to be my original lung capacity back, so at this point I am looking forward to what I will gain in the next four years as my health continues to return to normal.

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
My story is I got tired of smoking and couldn't quit. I was a die-hard smoker of 33yrs. I was on 3 different inhalers and a nebulizer. I'd do all of the inhalers and the nebulizer just to smoke and get right back on the nebulizer so I could breathe. It was ridiculous. A friend of mine told me about her sister quitting using the ecigs. This sister was and even bigger smoker than myself. I thought if she can stop maybe there's hope for me. I got the information from my friend and ordered the kit. When I got it I had bought a carton of cigs which ended up lasting me 3 weeks, that was a long time for me. Once I finished that carton I was off cigs and on Vape. I have advanced since then and loving every minute of it. My doc is happy with my lungs, I no longer have to use those 3 inhalers or nebulizer to breathe. I know without ecigs/pv's/apv's I'd be well on my way to an oxygen tank. I count my blessing to finding vaping and this forum!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread