Cannabis Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
You bring up a good point and one that I have been curious about for a while. It is well documented that burning tobacco leaves releases tar, carbon monoxide and other carcinogens. It is also known that combusting/burning nearly anything from toast to steak can also release carcinogens. So how is it that MJ seems to defy this pattern of combustion creating tar, carbon monoxide, and other carcinogens just like everything else?

I ask both out of curiosity and also because as I get older my knees, and now my hands, have been getting more painful every year. I am not there yet, but I may end up needing something like this somewhere down the line and I want to be fully aware for when I do.

"They" tried for a long time to make safe smoke. There's all sorts of metals and stuff they added to tobacco, even.

Bottom line is they can make it safER but any cellulose that burns creates problems. Including in green stuff.

But green is used differently. Plus, cured differently. And it may suppress tumors a bit. And it's hard to separate it from smoking since many, but not all, green users also smoke tobacco.

But it's nowhere near SAFE in my opinion. Combustion, no matter what, creates problems.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Well, I can tell you this: I won't be so much as touching those cartridges until it is well-established whether or not they are harmful. I'm inclined to think that a majority of these cases are caused by cut products on the black market. I am aware of at least one case in Oregon though where vitamin e was found in a licensed supplier's carts. Until this is sorted out, I'll stick to flower. Not worth the potential harm whatsoever IMO.

This is why (once it becomes legal in my area) I would prefer to find a pure source of concentrate to use DIY like I do with Nic. I have no issues vaping my nic liquid b/c I know exactly what's in it because I made it. I don't think I ever want to "smoke" anything again. So if I can't DIY a vape then I'd probably go the tincture or edible route.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
This is why (once it becomes legal in my area) I would prefer to find a pure source of concentrate to use DIY like I do with Nic. I have no issues vaping my nic liquid b/c I know exactly what's in it because I made it. I don't think I ever want to "smoke" anything again. So if I can't DIY a vape then I'd probably go the tincture or edible route.
Yeah, that makes sense. I love edibles. I make my own sometimes, and when I'm out west I purchase them from a dispensary (the dispensary near me has overpriced edibles--prefer to just buy flower there). I think tinctures would be a safe and effective way to go, especially for medical use. In general I think edibles (and likely tinctures) are superior for medical use anyway. The way in which the body processes them is different. Effects last longer, and in my understanding they tend to offer better pain relief.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I've always wondered if the reason there's less of an issue with tar is more along the lines of people don't smoke a pack a day of it, the total amount of tar being inhaled, vs. any particular inherent goodness somehow decreasing the impact of tar.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I've always wondered if the reason there's less of an issue with tar is more along the lines of people don't smoke a pack a day of it, the total amount of tar being inhaled, vs. any particular inherent goodness somehow decreasing the impact of tar.

I almost mentioned the same thing, but you know there are some pot heads out there that do smoke all day every day. Then again a lot of consistent users also use water pipes instead of paper rolls which may filter out a lot of that too.

Rob B.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2019
goodbye

Here you go. There are a ton of YouTube tutorials on how to DIY....:thumb:

Last edited:

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
Depends on what you’re doing with it. In a fire situation they filter a lot. In a vaporizing situation they filter a little. The point of a water tool is to 1) cool the smoke or vapor 2) humidify the smoke or vapor and 3) catch any large pieces of material that make it through the screen/stem. It isn’t really about “more deeper.” It’s about “smoother cooler.”

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Depends on what you’re doing with it. In a fire situation they filter a lot. In a vaporizing situation they filter a little. The point of a water tool is to 1) cool the smoke or vapor 2) humidify the smoke or vapor and 3) catch any large pieces of material that make it through the screen/stem. It isn’t really about “more deeper.” It’s about “smoother cooler.”
1) smoother/cooler is what allows more/deeper.
2) it doesn't filter the critical stuff. The surface area of a bubble is nothing compared to it's volume, regardless.
3) Was talking about combustibles.

There's studies. Google "hookah worse than smoking" or something.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you are worried @ScottP you need regular flower and a dry herb vaporizer like Da Buddah.

It works, it is genuinely vape, and you are not heating the cannabis enough (the heating element won't combust it) to burn it. You are left with a residue that if you try to then smoke it, it does not get you high, particularly (I have tested it.)

It's kind of my preferred method (not that I am using MMJ now, but I have, for my teeth implants plus also for fun I mean fun is GOOD.)

It is indeed true, however, that MJ defies the laws of physics and also actually reality which how just smoking it indeed protects one from all sorts of cancers and also why, as a teen it is SO endlessly entertaining, you can function well enough to simultaneously know and not know whether the grownups around you think you are high, or think you are not high.

My favorite teen MJ moment of all time was when a friend of mine who had a very hippie dad who was adorable, actually (he died of jaw cancer, but not for a long time and after he got sober it was pretty cool) came down, looked at his daughter with me beside him and said, "Becca, what the f:censored: do you think you are doing?" She was like "Rolling a joint." And he said, "Oh no you are NOT, that is the most badly rolled joint I have ever SEEN, get out of my way..." and kind of shoved her aside and said, "THAT's a joint" and wandered off. :lol::lol::lol:

It is also how cannabis defies the laws of reality by being legal and totally illegal at the exact same time.

Really, if you have decent dispensaries in your state if you want to vape oils, you should be fine. Potheads (the type that start dispensaries) are like FANATICAL about their products, you aren't going to fi nd them cutting anything with vitamin E and you won't find ANYTHING in the dispensary that the owner (and most of the employees) haven't FANATICALLY "tested" themselves and they will tell you about it in GRAVE detail.

You will be fine. AFTER that first attempt where you realize you have never had such potent bud until it's FAR too late and you have this bout of PARANOIA that is unrivaled in its extent and if you are me (and you are lucky) you will have your child to drive you home, feed you chocolate bars, laugh at you REALLY A TON and sit with you until you are chill enough to pass into unconsciousness.

Have a minder; I can't emphasize this enough.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Nearly knocked meself out. Needed a fat one afterwards to calm down.

Oh I should note, I have walked into more than one plate glass window perfectly sober. With varying results. They're true hazards.

I also know I have settled into a "new" home when I stop walking into walls and stuff while waking up trying to get from the bedroom to the bathroom, or the bathroom to the coffee. It's a good time.

However, I usually have at least one bruise at all times, sometimes several.

Life. You just gots to take it. Good thing I'm STURDY.

My LEAST favorite plate glass experience was wandering by one and seeing this GIGANTICALLY pregnant lady like HUGE and all tipped backward to the weight of her stomach, hand on her back. I was like, "OH GOD, that poor THING."

Then I realized it was me, and that I was indeed ALL stomach and that thing was coming out of me somehow like REALLY soon, and none of the available options were at ALL cool and I really would have preferred walking INTO it, my stomach would have meant I just BOUNCED.

The birth was pretty much worse than my worst imaginings, yeah. The thing I remember most clearly was thinking every contraction "I wish I had a gun, I would so shoot myself right now."|

Anna

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Original Post:

stg091619dAPR20190915094530.jpg

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
Oh I should note, I have walked into more than one plate glass window perfectly sober. With varying results. They're true hazards.

I also know I have settled into a "new" home when I stop walking into walls and stuff while waking up trying to get from the bedroom to the bathroom, or the bathroom to the coffee. It's a good time.

However, I usually have at least one bruise at all times, sometimes several.

Life. You just gots to take it. Good thing I'm STURDY.

My LEAST favorite plate glass experience was wandering by one and seeing this GIGANTICALLY pregnant lady like HUGE and all tipped backward to the weight of her stomach, hand on her back. I was like, "OH GOD, that poor THING."

Then I realized it was me, and that I was indeed ALL stomach and that thing was coming out of me somehow like REALLY soon, and none of the available options were at ALL cool and I really would have preferred walking INTO it, my stomach would have meant I just BOUNCED.

The birth was pretty much worse than my worst imaginings, yeah. The thing I remember most clearly was thinking every contraction "I wish I had a gun, I would so shoot myself right now."|

Anna

I was walking into a store once and there was this thing draped across the doorway. It looked sorta like a Christmas decoration. So I bent my head to duck underneath it as I walked in, and bang, straight into the glass door. Dunno how I never went through it. It was one of those....take a few secs just to asses if yer still alive moments, then breath.

I looked at that thing across the door and realised it was probably there so people could see the glass. And not walk into it. Like wot I did.

Reactions: markfm

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
Many decades ago I discovered real hash in Tibet, India and Morocco. Used to be able to get it in EU too. Nothing that I have seen since compares. It's either fake soap or some homepressed garbage here now.

@stols001 @Sloth Tonight - I also find "modern" street hybridised bud far too harsh in terms of the high, I prefer to be very lifted, not poleaxed and glued to the chair! I used to grow outdoors, many decades ago, some of those old CBD - THC balanced strains are still around but tend to be produced for personal use only now. The majority of street bud in UK is grown in hidden ( ... usually badly) places, rented houses, underground under farm barns, old factory premises, it's usually tended by young Vietnamese illegal immigrants who are basically slaves, locked in & fed noodles. They are imprisoned or deported when raided rather than the owners of the crop. The crop is grown hydroponically using vast amounts of chemical fertiliser and other additives, yuk.

So I don't buy street bud here. I rely on a couple of friends who are experts and grow small amounts ... I envy those who have access to "legal or semi-legal" controlled products!

What a mess it is in the UK and EU, rubbish everywhere.. Must go the East again soon, or even to the West 8)

Sorry, I'm rambling about my reminiscences here!

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
I'm inclined to think that a majority of these cases are caused by cut products on the black market. I am aware of at least one case in Oregon though where vitamin e was found in a licensed supplier's carts. Until this is sorted out, I'll stick to flower. Not worth the potential harm whatsoever IMO.

Can you source this?

ETA: Black market cannabis flower is dangerous particularly these days. It is often laced with various products and/or grown with harmful pesticides. I strongly urge everyone to avoid the black market flower at all costs. Several people in my area have gotten sick lately, and the MJ was found to be laced. If one must resort to the black market and won't cease use until legalization, try to find someone who grows it themselves and is willing to share. I can't stress enough how dangerous the current underground market is.

Well, to be a little more calm about it...

There was lots of hysteria about “laced” weed back in the 80s, but it was nonsense. No one is “lacing” weed with other drugs. There’s no point to it.

The thing to be aware of in the realm of flower is pesticides and herbicides, as you point out. But most people who buy on the black market have a one or two degree connection to their grower and growers don’t want to kill their customers.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Can you source this?
Oregon Cannabis Retailers Are Pulling Vape Carts Off Store Shelves

From the article: "...a death in Oregon in July is the only one that public health authorities have linked to a purchase at a legal cannabis retailer. Authorities have not released further details about that case."

^^Whether true or not, I don't know. That's not the original thing I read, which I recall specifically saying vitamin e was found in said cart - I'll look more later for it. Will admit, could be remembering wrong. Tons of new information being hurled at us. But I'm fairly sure that's what it said.

I hear you on what you're saying - the case in NY was confirmed though. I agree I was a bit intense in the way I said all that, in retrospect.

Edit: I can't find anything about vitamin e being found in that OR cart. I guess it's just implied.

Last edited:

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
Can you source this?

Well, to be a little more calm about it...

There was lots of hysteria about “laced” weed back in the 80s, but it was nonsense. No one is “lacing” weed with other drugs. There’s no point to it.

The thing to be aware of in the realm of flower is pesticides and herbicides, as you point out. But most people who buy on the black market have a one or two degree connection to their grower and growers don’t want to kill their customers.

lol yes, there's so much money to be made in growing street weed and so much demand, what's the point in lacing it with anything? Fake news

I used to grow, many decades ago. Hemp family has virtually zero pests so pesticide is very very rarely used.

Herbicide also very rare, most street crop ( and Swiss grown CBD flower) is indoor grown so there's no need. Hemp for CBD extract/fibre production grows fast and covers the ground quickly and is so tall weeds do not grow. Unless it's certificated organic anything is possible however.

Fake news for the above points is everywhere. However, poorly ventilated indoor illegal crops are prone to fungus so fungicide can be used. Nasty.. but they are grown with so much chemical fertileser and additives that it's nasty anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread