Cannabis Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I am not sure it would. I priced a Solar system a few years back, and the amount of energy it would produce over the lifespan of the system divided by the total cost of the system (including replacing the batteries every few years as necessary) was roughly equal to the cost of buying electricity from the power company over the same number of years. So in essence there wasn't any real savings, it was just paying for all your electricity upfront (or via payments to the solar company for the cost of the system).

Now it is possible that systems have gotten cheaper since then or more efficient so this may not be how it is now.

So why do people bother having solar panels on their roof then ?.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I don't know how they manage to do it in Amsterdam but a quarter kilo of reasonably good weed used to cost me £500 there. But that was 15 years ago. An ounce sold at £180 (bulk price) or £280 (per gramme) on the street in the UK. So a total profit of £2020 per quarter kilo. I have absolutely no idea how much it would cost to grow in the UK either. Basic price for weed here has been £10 a gramme. Been that way for decades. The most expensive resin is the same price.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
So why do people bother having solar panels on their roof then ?.

First, as Tabac man said, a lot do it "They believe they're saving the planet". It may also be that a lot of people are duped into thinking they are saving more than they really are.

Also there are a lot of factors that can change the cost ratios. How much you pay for electricity from your electric company, how much sun your particular area gets, your actual energy needs, and the life expectancy and efficiency of the system.

In my particular case about 7 years ago there was very little cost savings over about 20 years. The cost of the system financed over 20 years plus the replacement batteries and required service agreement vs what I was paying for electricity would have been about a $4000 savings over that 20 years (or about $16/month). Oh and the panels only had a 20 year life expectancy so then they would need to be replaced.

Now if you were in an area where electricity costs were quite a bit higher than mine, you had more annual sun exposure, and could get a cheaper, more efficient system the saving could theoretically be a good bit higher. Either way there may be some level of savings, I just think that even under optimal conditions there isn't going to be this HUGE amount of savings. Maybe $30-$50/month max. Of course YMMV.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Oh a couple more bits for the sake of completeness. At the time I was paying about 10.8 cents per KWh. Now I am only paying about 9.5 cents per KWh which means had I invested in that system 7 years ago based on a fear of rising electric rates, I would actually be losing money right now.

Now there could be another reason for just supplementing (not fully replacing) your electric company with solar. That would be access to at least some electricity even when the grid is down. If you live in an area with lots of storms or a weak grid that goes down frequently you could use a solar/battery system to keep a few things running even when that happens. So keeping freezers and refrigerators going for instance could save a bundle by not allowing food to go bad. Maybe run a small AC or heating unit to keep cool/warm, etc.

Last edited:

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
    Illegal drugs are fundamentally harmful.

..and what will you say when vape flavors, and nicotine itself, are branded 'illegal' ?
    I've seen people go thru financial ruin over their nicotine vapes.
    It's even a meme, VAS. Vape Acquisition Syndrome. The need to buy more and more mods/atomizers.
    Not to mention, most companies sell 30ml of juice for over $20. I vape 30ml in two days.
    Thankfully, I'm not paying retail price.
    I'm not paying retail price for cannabis, either. So your call 'i mean cannabis in a store, not a cart' has little bearing on reality. I can buy carts in a store. That's wh nicere they 1st appeared.
    Do you vape nicotine ? Is that not a drug (which is illegal in Finland beginning in 2020) ?
    I caution you to avoid calling the kettle black, Mr. Pot.

Woofer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 8, 2014
    PA, SK, CA
    Illegal drugs are fundamentally harmful. When people who are familiar with these drugs refer to Cannabis as being harmless it's usually because they are comparing it to all those other illegal drugs. When Cannabis is descibed in this way it may seem like a pretty good choice.

It would be if it were free !.

One can not say "illegal drugs are fundamentally harmful", one could say all drugs are potentially harmful.
    Some illegal drugs, .... for example are fundamentally harmful. Many illegal drugs are not fundamentally harmful. Ayahuasca (Iowaska) which contains DMT is one example. They are more I could suggest that are not fundamentally harmful and potentially very beneficial for some individuals.

For around 100 years now science has been trying to prove how dangerous cannabis is.
    What have they found? Little to nothing.

Further reading some will enjoy - Emperor « JackHerer.com

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 25, 2014
    NY
    Massachusetts bans e-cigarettes, vaping devices

From the article: "...Massachusetts is the first to include marijuana vaping products, as well as mint and menthol flavored e-cigarette cartridges"

I assume that the THC carts are thus being temporarily banned along with e-cigs. The irony in this is that since the issue appears to be illicit, black market THC cartridges (at least primarily so), temporarily banning the licensed THC cartridges from dispensaries could be very counter-productive.

This whole vaping thing is getting way out of control. The conversation is focused on demonizing "vaping" as a whole, but as I see it, the conversation should be centered around our drug policy and the unintended consequences of prohibition. Also, this should be sparking a conversation about how to appropriately price and tax legalized marijuana, because the legal states are taxing it so much that the black market hasn't gone away. And I don't mean to imply that we could ever make it go away 100%, but I think that when the tax is 20% (total) like it is in MA, that's too high (pun intended).

Just my :2c:. Thoughts?

ETA however, it does appear that some licensed cannabis companies have been using oil in their carts (none confirmed in MA). So IMO an investigation is warranted into these carts for sure to verify their contents, and it would make sense to regulate them in such a way as to prohibit the use of these dangerous additives - or at the very least provide warnings on the packaging.

Source for the above ETA: Vape Pen Lung Disease: Here’s What You Need to Know

Specifically:
    "Two brands—Mr. Extractor of Oregon and Constance Therapeutics of California—told Leafly they’ve been selling forms of vitamin E oil into the vape cart market. Mr Extractor’s Drew Jones told Leafly he believes up to 40 companies sold a copycat oil, and the oil is in 60% of carts in the US. Lab tests have found the oil in multiple thickener products, including Peak Terpenes’ Thicc Stretch."

Last edited:

Egzoset

Sep 19, 2014
    Canada
    Salutations Sloth Tonight,

...the issue appears to be illicit, black market THC cartridges...

Sorry but i already disagreed before, explained my reasons why and even offered an avenue of solution (*). By the way this image below should suffice to schematize my proposal at the glimpse of an eye:

Egzoset's LAVA Bi-Energy Capsule (2017-May-26) [400x400] .PNG

In fact that's nothing new, this is an alternative to e-Cig atomizers where conduction mode can be eliminated or strictly controlled, while "Packetizing" a temporarily-stored "Heat Charge" that is meant to mainly transform into a convective vector combined with some radiative component. The 90 degrees change of stream direction should deal with hot spotting in the bowl, with adjustment of Fresh Air PinHole injection allowing (analog if butane, digital if IH-driven) precision "Micro-Dosing" and in absence of any temperature sensor necessary to close some thermostatic control loop (which makes little practical sense at all in pulse mode anyway!)... Auxiliary TC0 boiler/evaporator sections would provide support for a "Potentializing" agent, e.g. e-Liquid or even just simple distilled water if desired (...), which should meet reasonable social acceptability: IMO Inlet Water (or else) combined to an effort to match a Heat Charge to its associated WorkLoad implies enhanced user inclusion on top of controlled cloud dosing that doesn't require skilled athlete lungs.

:thumbs:

Right now monster clouds hurt e-Cigs reputation greatly and i believe it's quite about time something is done to address this aspect that strikes your enemy's imagination visually, besides their easily offensed noses.

In addition, one counter-productive aspect of prohibitionism could be that it removes a major feature like Aroma/Taste appreciation which i find necessary to allow the acquisition of proper operator skills that still feel SATISFYING, eventually. In other words i suppose 3rd-party misguided interference may help to promote the unconcious quest for monster clouds (in absence of substancial feedback/retroactive hints) which mass media & friend$ love to hate.

Good day, have fun!!
    cool.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-25_14-24-25.gif
      upload_2019-9-25_14-24-25.gif
      43 bytes · Views: 9
      43 bytes · Views: 9
      43 bytes · Views: 8
    Last edited:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 25, 2014
    NY
    Salutations Sloth Tonight,

Sorry but i already disagreed before, explained my reasons why and even offered an avenue of solution (*). By the way this image below should suffice to schematize my proposal at the glimpse of an eye:

In fact that's nothing new, this is an alternative to e-Cig atomizers where conduction mode can be eliminated or strictly controlled, while "Packetizing" a temporarily-stored "Heat Charge" that is meant to mainly transform into a convective vector combined with some radiative component. The 90 degrees change of stream direction should deal with hot spotting in the bowl, with adjustment of Fresh Air PinHole injection allowing (analog if butane, digital if IH-driven) precision "Micro-Dosing" and in absence of any temperature sensor necessary to close some thermostatic control loop (which makes little practical sense at all in pulse mode anyway!)... Auxiliary TC0 boiler/evaporator sections would provide support for a "Potentializing" agent, e.g. e-Liquid or even just simple distilled water if desired (...), which should meet reasonable social acceptability: IMO Inlet Water (or else) combined to an effort to match a Heat Charge to its associated WorkLoad implies enhanced user inclusion on top of controlled cloud dosing that doesn't require skilled athlete lungs.

Right now monster clouds hurt e-Cigs reputation greatly and i believe it's quite about time something is done to address this aspect that strikes your enemy's imagination at the glimpse of an eye, literally (besides their noses).

In addition, one counter-productive aspect of prohibitionism could be that it removes a major feature like Aroma/Taste appreciation which i find necessary to allow the acquisition of proper operator skills that still feel SATISFYING, eventually. In other words i suppose 3rd-party misguided interference may help to promote the unconcious quest for monster clouds (in absence of substancial hints) which mass media & friend$ love to hate.

Good day, have fun!!
    cool.png
    To be perfectly honest, you're speaking over my head a bit. I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with me on, exactly. That adulterated cartridges/THC cut with harmful additives are causing many if not all of the current lung issues?

^That's all I meant by the section of my post that you quoted. I'm not going to lie, your posts are very detailed with specificity that I just don't fully grasp (and I love reading them). So I apologize, but I'm not totally clear on what you're saying. From what I do understand of it, I agree with you.

You don't have to elaborate further on my behalf, but I just wanted to acknowledge that I'm not fully understanding what you mean. Apologies friend :blush:

Egzoset

Sep 19, 2014
    Canada
    Hi again Sloth Tonight,

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with me on, exactly.

Exactly what was specifically selected in this previous quote, and i do appreciate that you've expressed concerns as this is a fine opportunity to dialog:

ST> ...the issue appears to be illicit, black market THC cartridges...

...adulterated cartridges/THC cut...

It seems to me those two descriptions describe separate aspects of the real world. At the very least that's just NOT reciprocally synonymous anyway, and it's only about 1 of multiple other likely factors i got in mind.

...I'm not totally clear on what you're saying. From what I do understand of it, I agree...

Please rest assured there's no motive for negative expectations as i'm actually very pleased being able to exchange 1-on-1, of top of receiveing all the kind words.

:thumb:

You don't have to elaborate further on my behalf...

In all honestly i must thank you, on the contrary! Because i could perform proof-reading all i want and still miss the spot. My reply only confirms your response is proving most essential!

There's something like 4 main factors i'd wish to see investigated using true science, which won't happen until some long while after the next federal elections i'm afraid... It may require further clarification but i'm not finished with my reflexion relatively the vaping incidents, so i'll try to choose my wording carefully:

• cheating over "secret" substances
    • consumption method + ritual
    • industrial processing

And i feel i might happen to think of more items later.

;)

As far as i'm concerned "legal" products fail to win my trust on the sole basis that these are found at the SQdC, especially if dealing with long term use, possibly even chronic for "medical" patients.

This reminds me of this old article:

It resonated like an elephant in the room when the chief op. officer of a cannabis testing firm shared some of his perspectives on the problem of "pesticides" - although i must concur that such classification done by H.-C. already invites criticism all by itself (too bad they want to play "spe¢iali$ts"/"expert$" and won't invite actualization from competitors). Yet there's no data (at least i can genuinely believe it!), and it's getting worse if we're ready to accept the idea that there still are approved "additives" concentrations, including in Trudeau's Zyklon "kosher" mari-caca... For me it's no different than cartridge adulteration or else because there are no statistics on non-detection soups vs how "harmful" it can become, which means it may have "passed" inspection then may or maynot be followed by some "recall", eventually!

:?:

What i do know is that the complete list on "additives" just doesn't show up on any bottle from the SQdC so far and i would envy provinces where it does; but i don't seriously think it even exists anywhere in this country. Briefly put i came to conclude this "Légaleezation" was driven by a constant vilification effort which could be expected to also cast some shadow on the "illicit black market" as well, e.g. if it does then we can bet the average customer won't stick with a same dealer long after fear+suspicion have been evoked. While the SQdC deals with captive clients who get constantly shamed by mass media and TV... The logic being to cause the individuals themselves to progressively stay away, starting with lost kids on planet Itnoc: In The Name Of Children.

Remember:

About INCIDENTAL Légaleezation - From 2015 Liberal electoral platform [480x360] .PNG

More precisely Justin Trudeau didn't go as far as to promise safe chronic use in a way i can trust, quite on the contrary and NOT in both official languages in any case: lets keep in mind that "recreational" mari-caca was just meant to be INCIDENTAL, since even before he got elected with a majority of seats... So, that's one reason why i appreciated the valuable contribution of Dana Larsen when he started to fill such total void via an open drug testing offer:

[ https:// bc.ctvnews.ca/drug-activist-wants-users-to-mail-him-samples-for-testing-1.4404407 ]
    CTV: Drug activist wants users to mail him samples for testing (2019-May-1)

My question now is why can't Health-Canada promise this much! And i'll bet it's because everyone knows there won't be 100 % reliable/certified "bio" until many more years have passed, while contaminated statistics continue to get worse. Etc., etc...

In conclusion i'd say we probably share in common more views than we have irreconciliable differences. At least it was fairplay to ask, thank you.

Good day, have fun!! :cool:

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: Sloth Tonight

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    To be perfectly honest, you're speaking over my head a bit. ...

I think this May be a case where you have to Heavily Use the product for the Explanation of what it is to Make Sense.

I'm not really a THC user. But I have No Doubt that if I was Completely Baked, it would All seem reasonable.

;)

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: Rob B.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 25, 2014
    NY
    :lol: that's funny.

I happened to read the last post by @Egzoset shortly after partaking last night and just before bed. I think I understood it :thumbs:

In all seriousness I do grasp much of what you're saying, my friend, and will respond more later (probably tonight) because that post deserves a proper response which I don't have the time to construct quite yet. I really appreciate your reply. Thank you for taking the time to talk with me and clarify your thoughts, and I hope you have a great day :toast:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread