The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Can't taste any flavor from DL vaping

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by zoryox, Jun 13, 2019 at 12:27 AM.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. zoryox

zoryox New Member

Thursday
    So I've been vaping for the better time of 2 years by now, always loved my e-juice and enjoyed the flavor and vapor to the fullest, about 4 months ago I got into pods and salt nic.
    Later on I bought the Salt RTA and over time became only vaping 50 nic e-juice and its amazing.
    Although about 2 months ago, I cut down on DL and been vaping Salt Nic about 99% of the time.
    To my surprise I can't taste any DL e-juice anymore, tried changing juices, cotton, coils, even using other devices both sub oem and rebuildables but nothing changed.
    I'm seriously in agony over this and it's been like this for over 2 weeks now.
    What should I do?
    Also I've read about vapor's tounge and I don't think that's it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. HigherStateD

HigherStateD Senior Member

Mar 11, 2019
    There is subtle notes in the flavors that you'll get in a restricted draw device that you just can't get in an airy direct lung setup. Even turning down the wattage and restricting the airflow on my dead rabbit brings out characteristics of flavors that otherwise seem bland or flat.

Sent from my XT1765 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. zoryox

zoryox New Member

Thursday
    So what should I do? Stop vaping Salt Nic for a while to get the normal dl flavor back?

• Like Like x 1
  4. HigherStateD

Mar 11, 2019
    I don't think the nic type has anything to do with the flavor... But off the shelf pod-level nic strength juice is usually 50/50 PG/vg, and much more flavor than the high VG cloud bro juices. The higher PG carries the flavor more, and the higher percentage of flavor is due to less juice being used. I personally can't stand most off the shelf juices, as they are usually too flavorful for me. You could try different brands, as some are, imo, syrupy with flavor. The worst (or best, depending) that I've had was vape wild. I can smell an open bottle from across the room. Higher PG might help too, but with a high wattage device, it might be too harsh.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Frenchfry1942

Frenchfry1942 Chillin' Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2014
    Queen Anne River
    Restricted draw does much better flavor. All I draw is enough to fill my mouth. That is where the tastebuds are. Slow fill across the tastebuds and slow out the nose so I then smell it.

I DIY to lower flavor levels. Simple, cheaper, relaxing.

• Like Like x 3
  6. dennism

dennism Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 18, 2015
    Maryland
    I have the freemax fireluke mesh and the mesh pro. I get lots of flavor from them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. vapdivrr

vapdivrr Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    The salt ruined your taste buds, too salty

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Your sense of smell is at least 75% responsible for your sense of taste.

Your taste buds can only distinguish sweet, sour, bitter, and salt.

[​IMG]

Your brain needs the added input of smell to differentiate specific flavors. A good example is when you have a bad head cold or are otherwise nasally congested, and you can't taste your food or drink.

How does smell affect your taste?

The Surprising Impact of Taste and Smell

• Like Like x 3
  9. MyMagicMist

MyMagicMist Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 28, 2014
    WV, USA
    And having 0% sense of smell makes juices ... interesting to taste.

There's a fifth taste umami, I believe it's called. It is basically an earthy and savory taste from monosodium glutamate. Despite its description for me it comes over as a bit sweet, everybody's mileage with it varies. I don't mix stuff to get that flavor in vaping though, just aware of it being there at times.

For me the vaping if not about tasting the sweet or menthol, mint is about the texture of the vapor. I've tried a few different juices made by this one or that one, here or there. Found one mix that vaped like silk. It was weird. Not sure I like silk vaping. There's no fun when the vapor wells up and slips away so frictionless.

I do agree though, smell plays a large part to taste.

• Like Like x 4
  10. DeloresRose

DeloresRose Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I see all the usual comments, restricting air, mtl, pg carrying flavor better, etc. are said by some to be better for flavor. As a long time DIYer and mtl vaper turned dl, that’s the opposite of my experience.

There are only a couple of devices that are mtl that I still use, and not all that often, and only a couple of my mixes that work well with them.

I don’t care about big clouds and I’m certainly not some cloudz bro lol, but for me, there’s more flavor in higher vg mixes in dl atties.

But we’re all different. Different things are going to work for different people.
    I think you may have found one type of gear gives you more satisfaction than another. Sometimes that happens, that you try something new and your old favorites aren’t the favorites anymore.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. HigherStateD

Mar 11, 2019
    I'm curious, do you find different flavor profiles carry better in VG, and those are the ones you prefer now, or all profiles?

• Like Like x 1
  12. DeloresRose

DeloresRose Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I don’t think any carry differently. By that I mean - and I mix at several ratios- that 5% flavor is 5% flavor regardless. I can taste the same amount whether 50/50 or max vg is the base.

But pg tastes different than vg. Vg is smooth. Pg is dry. And dry doesn’t always add anything positive to a mix. I prefer closer to 50/50 for a few things, like coffee and toasted almond, but it makes a bakery or fruit too dry where vg makes it closer to the feel and taste of the real thing.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    A few years ago I purchased my favorite flavor in both 50/50 pg/vg and 100% vg to determine any difference in flavor/taste. I found out that I could not determine any difference in taste/flavor, but the 100% vg juice made more vapor. Your mileage may vary.

In my opinion, its a myth that pg is required in a mix because it is the "flavor carrier". Vg is just as good of a flavor carrier.

Pg can be useful for the bit of throat hit it provides, and helps dilute e-liquid if you use an atomizer which can't tolerate thicker e-liquids.

• Like Like x 2