CARTOMIZERS: Just Don't do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ RyckRak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2013
Somewhere in New England
OK- so I missed a couple of 'steps' in the chain of vaping progression.

I started with an eGo-C kit...you know- the little cartrages you fill and vape, and love.
Then-Found ECF...bigger and more batteries, clearos, tanks and an eVic.
More tanks, DIY and RBA attys. Watch 2000 YouTube videos.

all the while, I thought I 'missed out' on cartomizers.
Neat looking little tubes you fill with juice-compact and stealthy -Boge's and 510s, XL, XXL- Black and Stainless, add a nice 510 tip....the condom method ! (Hey- I can do that !)

So...
In my Vapemail today came my first mechanical mod- The Natural, 2 XL Dripping Atomzers and...
Two five packs of 510 SR Cartomizers !

First up- The Natural with a Vision Clearo...Great vaping unit-looks good too.
Next- The XL dripping atomizers on my eVic....3 drops of my DIY Huckleberry down the tube-put a new drip tip on....
sweet clouds of vapor- aah ! :vapor:

then...
the cartomizers !!!
OMG---You have got to be kidding me----(#*.*#%#)---- Give me a ciggy, no a big stinky cigar !
Juice EVERYWHERE...clean it up...again !!!- Try a vape... (...........cough,cough,cough)- NO VAPE, NO Juice...dry, bad hit !

Drink some water...take a real vape from my Natural...aah- Thinking: 'I must have not let the juice sink in enough'
Let's retry this...
More juice....Juice EVERYWHERE-dripping on workbench, floor, shoe, fingers and shirt...clean it up...again !!!- Try a vape... (...........cough,cough,cough)- 'Little' vapor, Juice in mouth-Spit, choke...bad-bad-BAD hit !

It is not me, my skills, my equiptment- or even my 'technique'... it is Cartomizers.
Cartomizers are awful- Cartomizers are :evil:EVIL :evil:! Cartomizers are short, leaky little tubes that will NEVER compete with ANY other juice delivery system...and
I'm being nice to them.

kbobiles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Carson
I feel your pain as I've never had any luck with Cartomizers, selling my IBtanked just cause I don't use them. I soaked them in eliquid, get a couple of good hits, then BAM, dry hit after dry hit. I think it maybe due to the pressure in the tank. If I leave the top cap open on the tank, it starts to wick, but to the point it floods.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I've been using Smoktech 510 single coil LR XL stainless steel cartos for like 18 months now. Never had a problem with them

Noobs think the condom fill method they see on videos looks pretty good. The fact is a silicon cap doesn't hold the 1.8 ml required to fill a XL carto the first time. Also, condom method wastes a lot of juice by filling the center air passage.

DJ RyckRak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2013
Somewhere in New England
I feel your pain as I've never had any luck with Cartomizers, selling my IBtanked just cause I don't use them. I soaked them in eliquid, get a couple of good hits, then BAM, dry hit after dry hit. I think it maybe due to the pressure in the tank. If I leave the top cap open on the tank, it starts to wick, but to the point it floods.

I can deal with juice all over the place- and my T3s will gurgle....but I do not like 'drinking' my ejuice.
As good as it is to vape- It tastes awful !

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
We all love what we love. If I ever had to mess with filling some of the contraptions people swear by on here, I would never vape another e cig again. If you don't understand cartomizers, then you should stick with the crazy syringes and other methods described on this forum. For me, the cartomizers are the only answer to making vaping user friendly as well as satisfying.

epage

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2012
Eastern North Carolina
That, and it depends on the juice, too - I think the thicker the juice, i.e. the higher the percentage of VG, the less quickly/efficiently it soaks the polyfill of the carto. That could possibly have something to do with it. Me, though, I seem to revert back to my Vivis every time... though it doesn't keep me from trying new things ALL the time! LOL!

subversive

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2011
United States
Just FYI - the one you have "swimming in juice" - if it's the one that gave you a burnt hit, it's ruined now. For standard cartos that aren't going in a tank, I condom fill very, very slowly. I lower it into the juice a fraction at a time over the course of a minute. Then I add more drops to the top for good measure and blow gently to clear the center. I let them sit for another 30 minutes or more before vaping on them.

For XL tank cartos, I drip in the top until it starts to drip out the bottom, add a few more drops for good measure, give it a gentle blow, and then stick it in a tank.

I haven't burned a carto in a long time. In the past, it was almost always because I immediately tried to use a standard carto right after the condom-fill. I also top off non-tank cartos constantly which makes it similar to dripping except for the fact I know I can drive to the store without topping off. I haven't burned any tank cartos. I use 100% PG and one hole punch.

Of course, not everyone likes them. Enjoy your clearos and don't worry about cartos! Clearos, to me, have always been a nice idea that didn't quite work out. Granted, I haven't tried every brand out there, but since I am a fan of cartos and saving money, it seemed silly to try to find one I liked. Perhaps it is simply the opposite for you.

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
I find filling them with a syringe to be the best approach. Too impatient to drip it in there and never feel I properly saturate the filler. Condom method just seems messy.

That said I haven't used one in months. I bought one pack of Boge SR a while back and still have I think 3 unopened. Tried an EMDCC and it was rather disappointing.

I do have an AGR on the way though to give carto-tanks a try, as I believe that is a much better setup than standard cartos. Never know I may be converted (but unlikely, as genny seems to be the only thing I can stand now).

DJ RyckRak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2013
Somewhere in New England
Easiest way to vape on the go is my eGo-c
Most juice and easy enough is the Vision Clearo's and Kanger T3's...for home or not moving about.
Most fluid-Most vapor...a bottom feeding tank....for sitting and vaping.
Best flavor and vape- for at home or not moving about...a dripping atty.

Someone (else) needs to design a small, easy fill- moderate sized, non-leaking- vapor producing atty head unit.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
It is not me, my skills, my equiptment- or even my 'technique'...

Oh, yes it is!!!
mock.gif

Ryan1888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2013
Glasgow
I thought everybody loved cartos or at least liked them - boy was I wrong.
I have never really had any issues with leakage while filling other than pushing a cato straight through a tank filled with juice when I first started. Now that was messy!

Have only ever burnt one carto when I first started vaping as well, attached it to my ego c twist with no juice and pressed the button :oops:
Ah, memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread