Status
Not open for further replies.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Þornbjörg;665372 said:
Too bad he's using an asp based system. If it were php, I could whip up a wonderful site.

Updated my avie to include the English spelling of my nick, btw.

LOL - sorry buddy. We (being www.WebOperations.net, not CASAA) are a Micro$oft shop. I'm not a big fan of Gates' Empire, but .NET and SQL do a solid job, it's the licensing costs and lack of open source that makes PHP/MySQL so attractive.

I'm an MCSE+I and MCSD, so the licenses are free. I'll agree PHP does some massively incredible stuff but open source allows too much room for free association on behalf of the programmer. I've spent too many years trying to fix code and figure out what the original PHP programmer was thinking when he named his code variables after Thundercats and former girlfriends. :p

Gimme boring old .NET/SQL any day for infrastructure. I'll use FotoChop and Flash if I want to get creative. :)

Last edited:

Þornbjörg

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Tampa, FL
Personally, I'm a fan of php and mysql. I've never seen, in large projects, variables named after characters or people. When you get into the 'single developer tiny project's then you find that. I could argue the same for various projects one can build designed for the Visual series.

The thing that irks me most, web related where Microsoft is concerned, is they refuse to accept W3C's standards. CSS 2.0 went 'live' a long long time ago (if you consider how fast the internet evolves), and yet Microsoft only recently began accepting it. Don't even get me started on CSS 3.0. I was told by one developer that IE will never adhere to CSS 3.0. It may pick up 'parts' but never the whole definition. Add to this Microsoft's own creation of CSS stylings that do not work on any other browser, regardless of system, and... well... I'll stop ranting now.

We each have our own reasons for what we do. You obviously use the operating system monopoly to further your sales. I prefer keeping costs down and use methods that anyone can access. I'm sure you make more than I do on each individual job. ;)

Ah well, to each their own.

If there wasn't Microsoft with their refusal of standards, then I wouldn't be able to get as many jobs as I have, since they are the ones who shoveled PC's into everyone's homes. I just wish they would begin following standards and practices.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Þornbjörg;665500 said:
Personally, I'm a fan of php and mysql. I've never seen, in large projects, variables named after characters or people. When you get into the 'single developer tiny project's then you find that. I could argue the same for various projects one can build designed for the Visual series.

ROFL! I knew you'd see where I was going with that one. We are as one. :cool: Trust me - I'm no Gate's Clone. I'm really going to enjoy working with you on the IT side of CASAA. Regardless where the vote goes, there are several of us on CASAA's IT comittee needed to work out the architecture and topology. I have three collos and can run any machines or OS's we can afford - to start out I can't imagine setting up anything other than Linux.

You in?
Hope you'll accept the invite to join from someone "on the dark side" :evil:

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Þornbjörg;665780 said:
Well, I do web design and computer repair for a living. I don't have my own company, I do temp work for half a dozen to help with overflow. Pays well enough, and saves me having to market. What cut they get I figure as savings since I don't have to advertise.

Oh, and decided to whip up my own dynamic sig. ;)

Like?

Snazzy!

How about a few banners and goodies we can provide for DL from the CASAA site?

Everybody likes cool toyz...

Þornbjörg

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Tampa, FL
Well, here was my thought... I'll write the code tomorrow.

Have the 'generator' take their start date, cost per cigarette, cost per equivalent in ecigarettes, and startup price and generate a link such as:
domain.tld/signature/MTI1NDYyMTYwMC0wLjI3NS0wLjAwMjUtNjU=.png

Now, take mod_rewrite and rewrite that url to:
domain.tld/signature/generate.php?v=MTI1NDYyMTYwMC0wLjI3NS0wLjAwMjUtNjU=

Once you have that, if you can't tell, it's a base64_encoded string.. decoding it should give you the string 1254621600-0.275-0.0025-65

Now, match against it to set your variables up, and generate the image.

This would save needing to make a bunch of png files (which are really just php files with a custom file handler) to generate the signatures.

Make sense?

Like I said, I'll write something tomorrow, complete with graphics.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Þornbjörg;665964 said:
Well, here was my thought... I'll write the code tomorrow.

Have the 'generator' take their start date, cost per cigarette, cost per equivalent in ecigarettes, and startup price and generate a link such as:
domain.tld/signature/MTI1NDYyMTYwMC0wLjI3NS0wLjAwMjUtNjU=.png

Now, take mod_rewrite and rewrite that url to:
domain.tld/signature/generate.php?v=MTI1NDYyMTYwMC0wLjI3NS0wLjAwMjUtNjU=

Once you have that, if you can't tell, it's a base64_encoded string.. decoding it should give you the string 1254621600-0.275-0.0025-65

Now, match against it to set your variables up, and generate the image.

This would save needing to make a bunch of png files (which are really just php files with a custom file handler) to generate the signatures.

Make sense?

Like I said, I'll write something tomorrow, complete with graphics.

Sure! IT sounds like you can obviously write the code and front end so the algorithm shouldn't hard to come up with. Do you have somewhere to host it? As long as it generates cut and paste code for the end user (maybe with the CASAA logo?) I think it's a great idea!

People LOVE things that give stickiness to a site. Wallpaper, screensavers, apps and widgets are staples of a a site's online campaign.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
lol.. I knew I was running the risk of just sounding like a jibbering idiot.

good lord, the patience I had as a teenager with a VIC-20

I'm going to go sit in the dark and play pong for awhile...

...your lamp is growing weaker...

...your lamp is out...

...you are about to be eaten by a grue...

DAMN YOU ZORK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread