CASAA | IT & Technical

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtndude

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Roan Mountain, TN
Windows7 is a great OS - and I'm a long way from being an M$ fanboi. Not only is it faster and smoother than Vista, it has a lot of great features. Will use all the resources your machine has, but doesn't demand much like Vista did. Even runs great on the little netbook. And yes, file copy is fixed.

I'm with you Webby on the upgrade install, but it's well worth a reformat IMO.

Yeah, I guess I need to back up my crap anyway... clean install it is!

Off the top of my head.... eGroupWare, Citadel, Zimbra, Kolab, AccessGrid.... I'll probably list too many.

What are the required and desired features? Document collaboration, IM, email, calendaring, audio/video teleconferencing? Even document collaboration can be expanded to online or print collaboration. Whiteboarding?

Thoughts?

I think we already agreed that board members should have a CASAA email address. Document collaboration would be a "nice to have", but I suspect most documents are going to be done individually so its probably not necessary if there's any added expense, but change management would likely be useful for official documents like Bylaws--a wiki based system for most other documents is probably best for most things since it includes change management and a well known collaboration method. Calendaring? I dunno...It would be cool if the majority of board members had compatible mobile devices, but again probably not a high priority. Audio/video teleconferencing and whiteboarding? Absolutely.

I used to work for Microsoft on the Microsoft Office LiveMeeting Event Support team, so I'm fairly well prepared to help train and support the use of any or all of these tools. Give me the word, and you got my help wherever needed.

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
I think we already agreed that board members should have a CASAA email address. Document collaboration would be a "nice to have", but I suspect most documents are going to be done individually so its probably not necessary if there's any added expense, but change management would likely be useful for official documents like Bylaws--a wiki based system for most other documents is probably best for most things since it includes change management and a well known collaboration method. Calendaring? I dunno...It would be cool if the majority of board members had compatible mobile devices, but again probably not a high priority. Audio/video teleconferencing and whiteboarding? Absolutely.

I used to work for Microsoft on the Microsoft Office LiveMeeting Event Support team, so I'm fairly well prepared to help train and support the use of any or all of these tools. Give me the word, and you got my help wherever needed.

I'll see if I can get some hardware and software support from one or more of the big boys in the business (the conferencing business), I shot out a few emails, but I likely won't hear back until Monday. Webby, I need to shoot you an email about hardware, so don't let me forget about that.

Þornbjörg

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Tampa, FL
Grr, there are not enough hours in a week.

I will get that sig creator done sometime in the next day or two. Had a last minute project dumped on me yesterday that had to be done last night, and just got emailed that the person's web page I'm doing has to have the next milestone done in 2 days... which is going to take rewriting the whole authentication process for new users in Joomla. Sigh. Toss into the mix having the play taxi for a friend's girlfriend (well, don't have to, but they are paying me what they'd pay a taxi to drive four hours one way..)

My input in the Windows 7 bit that happened while I was busy...

Its the first operating system released by Microsoft with LOWER system requirements than the previous operating system.

Here's my comparison chart...
Windows 7 is to Windows Vista like Windows XP is to Windows ME
Windows 7 is to Windows XP like Windows XP is to Windows 98SE

From a techie point of view, it's a LOT harder to get to things to fix stuff than Windows XP. However, it's also that much harder for someone, who doesn't know what they are doing, to break stuff.

Their troubleshooter is actually half decent, and easy enough for the masses to use (for the most part).

On any decent computer, its actually surprisingly fast. In my early days of the Beta and RC I did testing back and forth from 7 to XP on my high end gaming rig, and 7 was consistently the better performer. Please note, I was testing as a gamer would test... I disabled most of the eye candy in Windows 7. I haven't tested it on a minimum specs machine, but I hear it scales itself down well.

Due to gaming speed, less ease at breaking things, lower requirements than Vista, and decent troubleshooter; its the operating system I'm going to recommend to ALL of my repair clients.

There's a lot more little things, these are just the strongest points to me.

newkirk

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
North Carolina
Ditto - I hate an upgrade, but from a clean install it's Micro$ofts best OS yet (ok...ok...I know that's an oxymoron)

Agreed. I've been thinking of it as "Windows Vista Fixed Edition". (I'm a linux guy, BTW - everything is either dual-boot or linux-only, including my cellphone) Runs quite well on an atom-based mini-itx system.

j

ps - (looking earlier in the OT chatter of this thread) Motorola recently had me telnet in and do some peeks and pokes on some wireless networking gear - I hadda stop and laugh for a few minutes.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
I have a spare Dell 2850, 1.34 TB, 4 GB RAM in a collo rack at Level 3 in Atlanta. (love that drac card) We backup to another collo in Chicago every night at midnight. It wouldn't hurt to shoot a second backup to another server for redundancy if someone has some space and is willing to set up an FTP account.

Let me revisit VMware Server, it's FREE and will let us run Redhat Linux along with Windows Server 2003 on the same box. That way I can create A records for whatever sandboxes we want to run some trial versions of different apps and CASAA can buy whatever software seems to best meet our needs.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Þornbjörg;671649 said:
However, it's also that much harder for someone, who doesn't know what they are doing, to break stuff.

That alone is worth the price of admission. Every year, my support staff spend days on tech support calls from people who have received new computers and phones for Christmas, set up their email, pulled it all off the server...and want me to put it back.

Þornbjörg

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Tampa, FL
That alone is worth the price of admission. Every year, my support staff spend days on tech support calls from people who have received new computers and phones for Christmas, set up their email, pulled it all off the server...and want me to put it back.

Your response tells me you're definitely a techie too.

Anyone who's worried about how easy it is for 'normal people' to break stuff is generally a techie. ;)

Oh, and no chance today to whittle on a signature script. Was paid to take my best friend's girlfriend home, since he lost his car (long story, I'll suffice it as bad starter, left overnight, towed in the morning, no way to get it out of towing until cost exceeded value of car).. I live in Tampa, she was visiting in Tampa, I was told I'd have to take her home to Clearwater, which is a about an hour round trip, drive. Uh, yeah, someone was smoking something in that description. I got across the bridge into the next county, thinking I was almost there... no no no... she lives in Fort Meyers, which, with traffic and route I was given, a 7 hour round trip drive (if I was told ahead of time the destination, I could have done it in 5 hours, taking a VERY different route).

Such is life though, right?

I'm going to bed now. Got my relaxation sounds playing, time for a 7 hour nap.

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
I run Win7 exclusively on an older Phenom box. It works great.
I have been running 7's RTM for months now, and the only time I have to reboot is post installed updates.

Although I hit my DEDICATED Slackware box all the time.

7 is WAY better than Windoze vista!!!

My only complaint is the lag factor even on an x4, I liked XP's IMMEDIATE RESPONSE after I up'd the video card from 2000, LOL! Oh and one more... "del'ing a folder" sometimes tells me that files held within are in use when they are not, nor have been in a few hours...

(2000 always showed performace with no lag factor when clicking, typing, or anything[ing]!)

Worth the clean install, just make sure you have the HorsePower to prevent waiting a few seconds while doing ANYTHING CPU intensive, or even barely /proc'ing. heheee...

(...and yes that is an old Watchguard on the rack behind me, using it a a shelf when escrow completes...)

Last edited:

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
...Let me revisit VMware Server, it's FREE and will let us run Redhat Linux along with Windows Server 2003 on the same box. ...

Have you used VirtualBox? It runs GREAT on Slackware and has less overhead than a Windows Server for hosting VMs.

Just wondering about others use of Sun's VirtualBox.

Þornbjörg

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Tampa, FL
the86d, little trick about the 'in use' for you, I've noticed it too, though I usually delete folder contents before folder (old habit from DOS days)... I just force myself as the owner of the file (since the 'in use' files are always owned by system), then delete the file. I really don't like how a lot of files, if you use installers, say they are owned by the system, rather than person who ran the installer.

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
Þornbjörg;674292 said:
the86d, little trick about the 'in use' for you, I've noticed it too, though I usually delete folder contents before folder (old habit from DOS days)... I just force myself as the owner of the file (since the 'in use' files are always owned by system), then delete the file. I really don't like how a lot of files, if you use installers, say they are owned by the system, rather than person who ran the installer.

LOL! I can change NTFS permissions on the files, and still unable... I have noticed if I change "one level up", (the folder itself) it works better. Users should not have to change the permissions of the files (or folders they minutes ago just decompressed) that are actually within their own profile directory just to delete them. Glitch-O-Rama.

("rm -fR /" as root! That work? Or is is it "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M"? hehehee)

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
Most of the lag in Windows 7 (like Vista) when using Aero can be gotten rid of by going to System Properties/Advanced/Performance/settings btn/Visual Effects and UNCHECK "Animate windows when...", "Fade or slide menus...," and "Slide open combo boxes." Adjust to taste ;)

Having to deleted folder contents first is a PITA. Unlocker works great - quick, easy, and free - but so far is only available in 32bit.

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
Most of the lag in Windows 7 (like Vista) when using Aero can be gotten rid of by going to System Properties/Advanced/Performance/settings btn/Visual Effects and UNCHECK "Animate windows when...", "Fade or slide menus...," and "Slide open combo boxes." Adjust to taste ;)

Having to deleted folder contents first is a PITA. Unlocker works great - quick, easy, and free - but so far is only available in 32bit.

Lovely, I run 32 bit (w/ only 2GB RAM), I need the compatibility... I will check 64bit compat. on one of the lappys. The least mods the better, for a uniform Windows usage. This is due to many mods, then having to reinstall back in the day a ton.

I will try "unlocker", I guess it will pull the rug from underneath any /procs smacking me in the face. Then if I make a mistake and unlock a data file that I actually have open I will suffer... LOL!!!

I am actually running AERO for the eye-candy, just like on Slackware I like to run Compiz, when I need a GUI... well at least until Slackware 13, that is. (Links works fine for a lot of things, like driver d/loads.)

I do like the snap and pop, with the faderZ that function. I am not willing to let this go since it is a minimal burden on a quad-CPU machine with even just 2GB of RAM, at this time.

(I know I am a comma and a parentheses abuser, and mi Engo-rish ain't da' best wiff run-onz. I voted phor... The other guy! Faux Show!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread