CDC Finally Saying Stop Vaping THC

Status
Not open for further replies.

casuald00d

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2018
the states of unitedness
I'll second @Sloth Tonight at going for some sort of indigestible version. It's less expensive to start out, and certainly safer than vaping who know's what. The worst that'll happen is you buy gummies that are half the strength they were listed at and it doesn't work. Which does suck, but it's very unlikely to cause you any harm. I can't vouch for style or brand as I've never used it, but I know those who have to experience a good response.

i don't know about brand names but i've bought whatever random gummies they sell at the convenience store near me and i didn't think they did much, if anything, the first time that i tried them. then i tried the extra strength gummies and oh my goodness... i took maybe 3 of them out of the package of 5 and gobbled them up. i was planning on staying up for a while and watching a bit of tv but when they hit... there was no fighting it. i immediately went to the kitchen, gobbled everything up, and then went straight to bed and passed out. as it turns out, they make for an excellent sleep aid lol. only, i'm not a huge fan because i seem to wake up feeling rather groggy. at this point, i only eat them on rare occasions, hardly ever really. but i do keep a package or two on hand in case i need to get to bed early for whatever reason.

as for vaping, haven't bothered. i frankly don't put a lot of trust into the cbd pods i see behind the counter and certainly don't like the effects of cbd enough to be interested in vaping it.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I'd be surprised if it's even legit CBD being sold in convenience stores, honestly. There's a lot of bogus products out there. But if it made you sleepy, it probably did have some amount of CBD in it. The munchies thing though...that part is a little strange IMO, as THC is what aids hunger. Maybe CBD also boosts hunger a bit.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
"They" say that lot of CBD is "contaminated" with at least trace THC...

That's why I said that I think a lot of CBD's "medicinal" qualities come from THC (as that's psychoactive). I guess there's proven benefits for seizure suffers and probably some local application for pain relief (like skin cream). But I'm guessing a lot of it is hype or placebo-effect. I admit no expertise though.

And frankly, I don't care as long as it works for you AND it doesn't kill ya. Note that if you're on any medications that say "avoid grapefruit" you'll want to check with your doc before using CBD because it has the same "impact" as grapefruit on some medicines.

I'm betting >50% of CBD users are blowing their money and missing better options or they're getting small THC hits and don't know it, but if you tried other stuff and it didn't work and CBD did, good for you.

:2c:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
"They" say that lot of CBD is "contaminated" with at least trace THC...

That's why I said that I think a lot of CBD's "medicinal" qualities come from THC (as that's psychoactive). I guess there's proven benefits for seizure suffers and probably some local application for pain relief (like skin cream). But I'm guessing a lot of it is hype or placebo-effect. I admit no expertise though.

And frankly, I don't care as long as it works for you AND it doesn't kill ya. Note that if you're on any medications that say "avoid grapefruit" you'll want to check with your doc before using CBD because it has the same "impact" as grapefruit on some medicines.

I'm betting >50% of CBD users are blowing their money and missing better options or they're getting small THC hits and don't know it, but if you tried other stuff and it didn't work and CBD did, good for you.

:2c:
I think CBD has some true medical applications in and of itself like the ones you pointed out, as well as some others. But even then, I'm betting that there's a synergy between the two chemicals that potentiates each of them for medical relief.

Second-hand info but I've heard from several people that they get better effects with CBD derived from cannabis (only available in the legal cannabis states) than with CBD derived from hemp (legal in every state). IDK, but found it interesting.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Found this interesting. In the FDA Vaping Illness Update issued 10/4 they are emphatically warning consumers not to use vaping products containing THC.

Recommendations for the Public:
    • Do not use vaping products that contain THC.
    • Do not use vaping products—particularly those containing THC—obtained off the street or from other illicit or social sources.
    • Do not modify or add any substances, such as THC or other oils, to vaping products, including those purchased through retail establishments.

There is very very little in this update about nicotine vaping, apart from this:

No youth or pregnant women should be using any vaping product, regardless of the substance. Adults who do not currently use tobacco products should not start using these products. If you are an adult who uses e-cigarettes instead of cigarette smoking, do not return to smoking cigarettes.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

There is very very little in this update about nicotine vaping, apart from this:

No youth or pregnant women should be using any vaping product, regardless of the substance. Adults who do not currently use tobacco products should not start using these products. If you are an adult who uses e-cigarettes instead of cigarette smoking, do not return to smoking cigarettes.

Yeah... I thought of those "we have to Ban e-Cigarettes" Governor's and State Health Department Heads when I read that.

gsmit1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2018
    I agree with this in general.

That may or may not be. My point is only, and innocently [I think], that what the CDC "knows" and such is a completely different animal than what they can professionally SAY as epidemiologists.

You I and maybe they are playing the odds. Do I think that some bias may have creeped into their statements? Probably. Humans, eh? But when I read their stuff I read it almost mathematically, analytically, and what I hope is objectively.

Now, is everyone and their brother leveraging these events? Yes. But if you were the CDC, you'd be cautious in your statements too.

To be fair to you and your point, Dr. S did say that he worked in the CDC at the same department, and he would have done this differently. I even posted a "maybe eat crow" post in the ?deeming thread? after reading his article. It gave me pause as to their approach. Yet I have to acknowledge his pro-e-cig bias as much as I have to admit there may be bias on the CDC's part against e-cigs.

So here we are, with the CDC having to release statements, and with various "groups" or factions having to read them and no matter what they do, someone will be ...... off.

I don't blame the CDC for the fact that people are leveraging this health crisis. I do take your point that they might word it more clearly, but let's face it, they don't know what the deal is. What if it was a bad batch of VG and that was mostly distributed to the THC side vendors? What if it is that Honey Cut stuff, but some nic-side vendors used it too? What if it's this year's supply of fungicide that was used on both tobacco and cannabis, but it was accidentally 10x stronger than it should be?

IDK.

I read them neutrally. But I'm not defending their statements as "perfect". I will note that they say "consider" and do warn specifically about avoiding the THC side of things, and in particular from street vendors.

I find it more and more suspicious over time, too. The whole "don't alter it" thing is highly suspicious to me. End users not altering stuff? What's up with that other than to support close-pod systems? I realize they could be saying that "you don't know what flavor could be doing this" but that really doesn't fit the pattern, right? Or alter could mean worried that they'd add other drugs that are contaminated to nic-vapes. IDK.

Communication. It's hard.
    This is a fair and substantive response, well worthy of one of it's own. It has however been a very long and busy three days for me. When I can I will also give a proper response. :)

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    Note the FDA response above too...specifically warning about THC vapes. Interesting that the two agencies, being different disciplines, can go about issuing statements differently. That's some presumption on my part, but the FDA hasn't exactly earned a fantastic reputation among us open-system vapers with all their deeming stuff.

So I would have expected the bias the other way around, with the FDA being more "hate all e-cigs" than the CDC who should be seeing some positive results after a decade of growing e-cig use by former smokers. Yet, I think the CDC is worried about increased nic addiction among youths, so I suppose it's logical in a way that they'd worry about e-cigs in general. But if so, that's the OTHER issue, not the lung-chemical-burn/lipoid epidemic that they're supposed to be commenting upon.

Besides, the FDA is (IMO) influenced by BT, so BT needs to release vapes too, for their smoke-free future. Less vilification I suppose.

f1vefour

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Emerald Coast
    And why didn't the FDA mention CBD? Is that not a factor?

I don't want to imply that CBD is safe right now either, so it's just a question. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, I don't know.
    CBD eliquid is made from lab extracted isolate, it is then dissolved in PG.

There should be no issue with CBD liquids since they don't rely on thickness as an indicator of potency.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    And now I have blood on my hands. And like I said, I'm sad about that.

Dude, IDK if you can really go back and judge your past choices by an implausibly and unknowable future.

We all have blood on our hands, frankly. We come into this world, liberally plastered in blood and other unpleasant bodily fluids, which is why the nurses whisk us away, clean us up and put a hat on our head to hide the pointy head issue.

Seriously, I can 100% tell if a baby is born via C-section or not, during my newborn follow up visits based on the shape of the kid's head and the looks of horror (or not) on the parent's faces.

But yeah, human kind is just a mess. Start to finish. I guess I embraced it because when the nurses were trying to like, clean him up I kept shrieking, "Give him to me! it's my kid! I need to hold him this second!" I blame delirium contractionitis, that and PURE relief that somewhere in between contractions (at which time I was usually thinking "If I had a gun right now, I would so kill myself") somehow God magically imbued me with pure adoration for the little snot. l was kind of uncertain if I was going to be able to love the creature right until the bitter end, so it was kind of relieving.

But I don't think you are responsible for like. all bad vaping things in the world with um, ONE vote. Really. If I considered myself so important (although I'm not saying you aren't) but like I would never leave the house out of indescribable fear.
    Anna

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Also, to add, you sort of need to consider the reputation of your "THC/CBD experience.'

There is a pharmacy in Douglas (now defunct, probably due to health code violations in DOUGLAS) which has to be seen to be believed. The guy did not like me and I did not like HIM because I came in, slowlllyyyyy spun around (he was the only dude in town with my "brand" of natural thyroid. Oddly, he was "100% sure his suppliers could get me MORE than what I had." I asked him WHY when everyone else was out, and he said, "Good relationships with my suppliers?" I said, "You mean your Mexican Suppliers?" And it became something of a stand off.

Really though, everything was sort of "right" but not like the packaging on EVERYTHING was sort of Matt instead of the glossy American seems to prefer, everything looked off.

He had this really dusty set of CBD gummies at the counter and I thought to myself, "You know, even if this dude was removing a tooth with rusty garage pliers on me RIGHT now you could not pay me enough to eat those."

What you get is to an extent, reflective of the research you do, and the amount you are willing to pay. You get what you pay for.

I highly doubt "much" CBT has "trace" THC in it, because THC is worth a LOT more money and they aren't going to leave it floating about. However, if you do not buy a decent brand of WHATEVER CBD however you ingest it you may have purity problems, either poor manufacture and/or trace impurities of what they use to get the THC OUT.

I sincerely doubt that most "CBD miracle cures are due to unknown amounts of THC." It is a very legitimate treatment for many who for whatever reasons don't want or cannot have for whatever reasons. Some of the "but I think I maybe HALLUCINATED for a second before I passed out in brownie chunks" do sort of smack of the placebo effect. Not that I knock good old placebo usually I mean it has NO side effects (except for some weight gain here and whatever) and I actually do think as a nervous stimulant depressant it could cause fatigue and grogginess in certain individuals.

Just as it is nice to cultivate a pleasant and successful relationship with your eliquid supplier (if you use a store) do the same with a dispensary.

Being labeled "Dispensary" doesn't mean crooks aren't running it. Do not go with your very cheapest option, if testing (independent or otherwise) is done, great. The bottom line though, is if you are using THC medicinally (and this means more frequent than recreational) you are going to want to cultivate a good relationship with a decent Dispensary that has been around, has good reviews, is confidence inspiring, and does not have to be the most expensive one but it should be a DECENT one.

We are not talking about the possible dangers of diluting the bleach you use on your clothes at Family Dollar. The consequences there tend to be a bit less dire.

If you use common sense you should be fine.

Or even better, uncommon sense. This isn't hard and while I am SURE there are dispensaries that would make me feel like the King Tut did about pharmacies, I very simply would take my purchasing elsewhere.

THC is easier than CBD in some ways, as much CBD is sort of um, less regulated.

But still. Research your brands, figure it out. Ask questions if you don't know. Don't buy something if you feel a lack of confidence..

Anna

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
    Sep 11, 2018
    UK & much further East.
    CBD eliquid is made from lab extracted isolate, it is then dissolved in PG.

There should be no issue with CBD liquids since they don't rely on thickness as an indicator of potency.

Not all but most imho.

I buy liquid from a large UK company that produces their own full spectrum products. BTW there is no oil in it, you can produce full spectrum without oil being present in the vape, there's bad info around about that. It's supercritical CO2 extracted ( no nasty solvents) and has full lab reports available that I have checked, I wouldn't use anything else.

CBD liquid, gummies etc that are produced from pure isolate are commonly produced and sold by folks who do not know what a lab report is. Try asking the corner shop! That's certainly the case in the UK.

Always ask for lab reports, then check with the lab.

@stols001 Anna, Full spectrum CBD product does have "trace" THC in it, in EU 0.2% is the limit. EDIT - just remembered that this MAY have changed early this year, limit may be 0.1%. The status of CBD products in UK & most of EU is a mess.

Last edited:

billthetroll

ECF Veteran
    Feb 24, 2016
    Huntington West Virginia
    Also, to add, you sort of need to consider the reputation of your "THC/CBD experience.'

There is a pharmacy in Douglas (now defunct, probably due to health code violations in DOUGLAS) which has to be seen to be believed. The guy did not like me and I did not like HIM because I came in, slowlllyyyyy spun around (he was the only dude in town with my "brand" of natural thyroid. Oddly, he was "100% sure his suppliers could get me MORE than what I had." I asked him WHY when everyone else was out, and he said, "Good relationships with my suppliers?" I said, "You mean your Mexican Suppliers?" And it became something of a stand off.

Really though, everything was sort of "right" but not like the packaging on EVERYTHING was sort of Matt instead of the glossy American seems to prefer, everything looked off.

He had this really dusty set of CBD gummies at the counter and I thought to myself, "You know, even if this dude was removing a tooth with rusty garage pliers on me RIGHT now you could not pay me enough to eat those."

What you get is to an extent, reflective of the research you do, and the amount you are willing to pay. You get what you pay for.

I highly doubt "much" CBT has "trace" THC in it, because THC is worth a LOT more money and they aren't going to leave it floating about. However, if you do not buy a decent brand of WHATEVER CBD however you ingest it you may have purity problems, either poor manufacture and/or trace impurities of what they use to get the THC OUT.

I sincerely doubt that most "CBD miracle cures are due to unknown amounts of THC." It is a very legitimate treatment for many who for whatever reasons don't want or cannot have for whatever reasons. Some of the "but I think I maybe HALLUCINATED for a second before I passed out in brownie chunks" do sort of smack of the placebo effect. Not that I knock good old placebo usually I mean it has NO side effects (except for some weight gain here and whatever) and I actually do think as a nervous stimulant depressant it could cause fatigue and grogginess in certain individuals.

Just as it is nice to cultivate a pleasant and successful relationship with your eliquid supplier (if you use a store) do the same with a dispensary.

Being labeled "Dispensary" doesn't mean crooks aren't running it. Do not go with your very cheapest option, if testing (independent or otherwise) is done, great. The bottom line though, is if you are using THC medicinally (and this means more frequent than recreational) you are going to want to cultivate a good relationship with a decent Dispensary that has been around, has good reviews, is confidence inspiring, and does not have to be the most expensive one but it should be a DECENT one.

We are not talking about the possible dangers of diluting the bleach you use on your clothes at Family Dollar. The consequences there tend to be a bit less dire.

If you use common sense you should be fine.

Or even better, uncommon sense. This isn't hard and while I am SURE there are dispensaries that would make me feel like the King Tut did about pharmacies, I very simply would take my purchasing elsewhere.

THC is easier than CBD in some ways, as much CBD is sort of um, less regulated.

But still. Research your brands, figure it out. Ask questions if you don't know. Don't buy something if you feel a lack of confidence..

Anna
    Haha, the last time we talked.I think it's been about 4 months ago we was on a thread talking about weed/cbd smells and you told me talking about that would get my comments deleted by mods.boy how things have changed stols haha.

f1vefour

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Emerald Coast
    Not all but most imho.

I was generalizing, I know there are other ways just didn't want to confuse people. I wholeheartedly agree to check the lab results the vendor provides and be wary since CBD is in a bit of a 'Wild West' phase.

plumeguy

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2014
    These Here United States
    Getting the report and checking with the lab won't help when a manufacturer (like Kushy Vape) is selling into both the legal and black markets:

California vape maker Kushy Punch caught making illegal products

They were using their own packaging and employees to run the equivalent of two businesses. Mostly clean cannabis vape products were pushed through legal channels. Products soaked in toxic amounts of fungicides, pesticides, and who-knows-what were pushed out through black market channels.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Getting the report and checking with the lab won't help when a manufacturer (like Kushy Vape) is selling into both the legal and black markets:

California vape maker Kushy Punch caught making illegal products

They were using their own packaging and employees to run the equivalent of two businesses. Mostly clean cannabis vape products were pushed through legal channels. Products soaked in toxic amounts of fungicides, pesticides, and who-knows-what were pushed out through black market channels.

It's Funny...

But when I google "Kushy Punch", I get Page after Page of Seller Come-Ons and Reviews. But only 1 News Story about them being Busted.

The Leafly Article posted here.

And that is Unusual. Because if some e-Cigarette User coughs at a Bus Station, or if a Teen's Mom finds an Empty JUUL Cart in the wash, it is National Breaking News.

It's Almost like the News isn't reporting in On Purpose. Guess the Media Isn't done Milking the "e-Cigarettes are the Spawn of Satan" thing yet?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread