AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
That's interesting.

OK, I might have to eat a big dish of

upload_2019-10-4_10-41-35.jpeg

But I guess I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. They DID say that THC vapes were highly suspect from the onset or nearly so.

As to the rest of the article, "the public" never ceases to astound me in "what it believes". And that's not a compliment, nor is it arrogance, as I'm probably wrong about 50% of what "I know" just like everyone else. Most of the public just aren't vapers.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That's interesting.

OK, I might have to eat a big dish of

View attachment 842887

But I guess I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. They DID say that THC vapes were highly suspect from the onset or nearly so.

As to the rest of the article, "the public" never ceases to astound me in "what it believes". And that's not a compliment, nor is it arrogance, as I'm probably wrong about 50% of what "I know" just like everyone else. Most of the public just aren't vapers.
Speaking generally, As far as belief of the public goes it’s not exactly a new problem and human brings haven’t much changed over the centuries. An informed rational person can generally make an informed rational decision. The key words are informed and rational though. If they are ill informed or pushed to emotional thinking those decisions can be poor. They are also somewhat predictable. An entity that can manipulate information and/or manipulate emotionality can concoct almost any decision tree they want. This is why slow movement is sometimes good. It allows information to percolate and truth to be separated from fiction. It also allows temporary emotions to dissipate. It’s not ALWAYS good because in an adversarial situation a faster moving adversary has an advantage. Sometimes there are time limits.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
Not related to the vape scare but still speaks to the credibility of the CDC?
CDC officials admit trying to destroy documents

When did this happen?

I think the question is; How credibile, and objective, is this organization? I think that no organization is beyond corruption. It's sad that a vital national asset like the CDC, with all of the background checks, and security clearances required for employment, has experienced this on such a high level, regardless of when it happened. How do they conduct business now?

I doubt that this is an isolated event.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
No sir I have not and anybody who cares enough can easily look back over this thread and see that I have not.

Your refusal to hear a simple point does not translate into my moving the goal posts.
I don't want to argue.
It's a different point.

If you want to continue the discussion about the exact wording of the cdc's statement(s), fine.
If you want to ascribe good or bad reputation to the agency in general, or even discuss their e-cig bias that I agreed with you about, have at it, but that's not my discussion. :)

Reactions: stols001

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
I see a lot more of this happening. People are ...... off and their lives are being destroyed. There's going to be plenty of violence before this issue is settled. Take away a persons ability to provide for their family and it results in impotent rage. A wounded animal is the most dangerous kind, and a human is a very dangerous animal indeed. I don't condone violence, but I can definitely understand it.
Well, they seem to be handling this in a legal, civilized manner. Five business owners met today with their defense lawyer in court to file for an injunction. It's costing them $1000s in losses every week.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
Well, they seem to be handling this in a legal, civilized manner. Five business owners met today with their defense lawyer in court to file for an injunction. It's costing them $1000s in losses every week.
I really hope they (the business owners) get these bans lifted. It would have been bad enough to have 30 days to sell stock and close shop, but no notice? That's just cruel.

gsmit1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2018
I don't want to argue.
It's a different point.

If you want to continue the discussion about the exact wording of the cdc's statement(s), fine.
If you want to ascribe good or bad reputation to the agency in general, or even discuss their e-cig bias that I agreed with you about, have at it, but that's not my discussion. :)
But that is my discussion and to the best of my recollection you are the one who initiated this direct interaction with me. Most of the country has been making an argumentum ad verecundiam based ultimately upon the carefully crafted pronouncements of the CDC.

The politicians and their minions have been drooling for a plausible justification for doing exactly what they're doing right now. The authoritative testimony of the CDC has given them that justification with the jubilant cooperation of an utterly ignorant media.

It's not actually a justification, but most people are buying it and that's all that matters to these blood sucking politicos. That the voting populous believe that they have only the most humanitarian and philanthropic motivations.

Once again. There is no vaping crisis that justifies this blitzkrieg being perpetrated upon commercial vaping and the very smart people at the CDC know that for all the reasons that you and I know that and even more so with the firsthand data they have.

Last edited:

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
There are definitely two fact related problems, at least.

How did the CDC come up with the statistic that 800 percent more kids are using e-cigs (keeping in mind they are underage and shouldn't be)?

While I can find the results of the FDA studies online, I still can't find the research papers behind the results. For all we know they interviewed 10 kids. No paper often means known weasel results.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
But that is my discussion and to the best of my recollection you are the one who initiated this direct interaction with me. Most of the country has been making an argumentum ad verecundiam based ultimately upon the carefully crafted pronouncements of the CDC.

The politicians and their minions have been drooling for a plausible justification for doing exactly what they're doing right now. The authoritative testimony of the CDC has given them that justification with the jubilant cooperation of an utterly ignorant media.

It's not actually a justification, but most people are buying it and that's all that matters to these blood sucking politicos. That the voting populous believe that they have only the most humanitarian and philanthropic motivations.

Once again. There is no vaping crises that justifies this blitzkrieg being perpetrated upon commercial vaping and the very smart people at the CDC know that for all the reasons that you and I know that and even more so with the firsthand data they have.
I agree with this in general.

this blitzkrieg being perpetrated upon commercial vaping and the very smart people at the CDC know that for all the reasons that you and I know that and even more so with the firsthand data they have.

That may or may not be. My point is only, and innocently [I think], that what the CDC "knows" and such is a completely different animal than what they can professionally SAY as epidemiologists.

You I and maybe they are playing the odds. Do I think that some bias may have creeped into their statements? Probably. Humans, eh? But when I read their stuff I read it almost mathematically, analytically, and what I hope is objectively.

Now, is everyone and their brother leveraging these events? Yes. But if you were the CDC, you'd be cautious in your statements too.

To be fair to you and your point, Dr. S did say that he worked in the CDC at the same department, and he would have done this differently. I even posted a "maybe eat crow" post in the ?deeming thread? after reading his article. It gave me pause as to their approach. Yet I have to acknowledge his pro-e-cig bias as much as I have to admit there may be bias on the CDC's part against e-cigs.

So here we are, with the CDC having to release statements, and with various "groups" or factions having to read them and no matter what they do, someone will be ...... off.

I don't blame the CDC for the fact that people are leveraging this health crisis. I do take your point that they might word it more clearly, but let's face it, they don't know what the deal is. What if it was a bad batch of VG and that was mostly distributed to the THC side vendors? What if it is that Honey Cut stuff, but some nic-side vendors used it too? What if it's this year's supply of fungicide that was used on both tobacco and cannabis, but it was accidentally 10x stronger than it should be?

IDK.

I read them neutrally. But I'm not defending their statements as "perfect". I will note that they say "consider" and do warn specifically about avoiding the THC side of things, and in particular from street vendors.

I find it more and more suspicious over time, too. The whole "don't alter it" thing is highly suspicious to me. End users not altering stuff? What's up with that other than to support close-pod systems? I realize they could be saying that "you don't know what flavor could be doing this" but that really doesn't fit the pattern, right? Or alter could mean worried that they'd add other drugs that are contaminated to nic-vapes. IDK.

Communication. It's hard.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The CDC JUST started saying that? "Youth vaping crisis" has been the hysterical cry forever. Tell me that your governor went out and conducted an investigation himself that put those words on his lips and he didn't get it from the CDC. Who is constantly cited in all the news stories as well.

We probably have a "youth drinking crisis", also. No one seems to care about that. If we did, nobody would consider a ban on alcohol. We know how that turned out when our parents were young. It spawned a generation of moonshiners.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
We probably have a "youth drinking crisis", also. No one seems to care about that. If we did, nobody would consider a ban on alcohol. We know how that turned out when our parents were young. It spawned a generation of moonshiners.

Remember MADD? they did help generate enough support to allow the age for purchase to be increased to 21. Obviously that doesn't solve the issue of drunk driving by teens, but that and education about designated driver and all that sorta stuff has had some effect.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Remember MADD? they did help generate enough support to allow the age for purchase to be increased to 21. Obviously that doesn't solve the issue of drunk driving by teens, but that and education about designated driver and all that sorta stuff has had some effect.

Apparently, mail order has allowed a lot of shipments to underage people who have debit/credit cards or Paypal account access. The "I am 21 years of age or older" web site verification is an easy click to get through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread