Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So are they following up with "I was on the patch and I still got a smoking related illness" sequel. ?

Yeah... And Every Time someone Flips Out on Chantix and Jumps out of a 14th Floor Window, the CDC know about it.

But like Many Things, they just don't choose to Tell Us about it.

;)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
"Or this from the nicoderm site.
Can I smoke while wearing the NicoDerm CQ patch?
For some people, making the switch from cigarettes to NicoDerm CQ happens all at once. For others, it may take a little time before they're ready to completely stop smoking. The important thing is your commitment to quit. The FDA has announced that there are no significant safety concerns associated with using NRT products like NicoDerm CQ at the same time as another nicotine-containing product, like a cigarette. If you slip up and have a cigarette while trying to quit, forgive yourself, throw you're your cigarettes and continue using NicoDerm CQ and keep trying to quit."
What is NicoDerm CQ?

Hypocrites

;)

emypu7yr.jpg

Nicotine Replacement Therapy Labels May Change

The changes that FDA is allowing to these labels reflect the fact that although any nicotine-containing product is potentially addictive, decades of research and use have shown that NRT products sold OTC do not appear to have significant potential for abuse or dependence.

The changes being recommended by FDA include a removal of the warning that consumers should not use an NRT product if they are still smoking, chewing tobacco, using snuff or any other product that contains nicotine—including another NRT.

"The agency heard from several public health groups that the labeling for OTC NRT products may stop consumers who are trying to quit smoking from using them," says FDA Commissioner Margaret A. Hamburg, M.D. "FDA hopes the recommended changes will allow more people to use these products effectively for smoking cessation and that tobacco dependence will decline in this country."

Last edited:

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
California is just One of a Long Line of Dominos.

Ha! I first read that as "California is just One of a Long Line of Dummies". :laugh:

(I realize either applies ;) )

;)

<...>

The changes that FDA is allowing to these labels reflect the fact that although any nicotine-containing product is potentially addictive, decades of research and use have shown that NRT products sold OTC do not appear to have significant potential for abuse or dependence.

The changes being recommended by FDA include a removal of the warning that consumers should not use an NRT product if they are still smoking, chewing tobacco, using snuff or any other product that contains nicotine—including another NRT.

"The agency heard from several public health groups that the labeling for OTC NRT products may stop consumers who are trying to quit smoking from using them," says FDA Commissioner Margaret A. Hamburg, M.D. "FDA hopes the recommended changes will allow more people to use these products effectively for smoking cessation and that tobacco dependence will decline in this country."

Just occurred to me, the timing on that change was rather suspicious... :glare:

(or maybe it occurred to me in the past on another thread on that topic, and it just came to me again?) :)

Bobbilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Canada
Ha! I first read that as "California is just One of a Long Line of Dummies". :laugh:

(or maybe it occurred to me in the past on another thread on that topic, and it just came to me again?) :)

I'll say it again. Total hypocrite talking about dual users of vapourizers

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Come on, Sonic! Don't you see the beauty of it? Our litle axis of evil? The unholy alliance of the FDA, BT and BP, together at last, united in their battle against e-cigarettes? ;)

Good Dr. Hamburg knows perfectly well that the success rate of NRTs is 5-6% after one year. That's actually very similar to the cold turkey data. I've seen one study where the placebo group had a higher quit rate (by 1%) than the group that chewed their nasty gum. :facepalm: So what does she do? She tells poor gum chewers to smoke and chew all they want. Flavors? No problem! No problem, no risk, no addiction. BT is happy, BP is happy, the FDA is happy. What's not to like?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Or this from the nicoderm site.
Or this from the FDA's own website...

-There are no significant safety concerns associated with using more than one OTC NRT at the same time, or using an OTC NRT at the same time as another nicotine-containing product—including a cigarette. If you are using an OTC NRT while trying to quit smoking but slip up and have a cigarette, you should not stop using the NRT. You should keep using the OTC NRT and keep trying to quit.

-NRT users should still pick a day to quit smoking, and begin using the OTC NRT product on their "quit" day, even if they aren't immediately able to stop smoking.

-Users of NRT products should still use the product for the length of time indicated in the label—for example, 8, 10 or 12 weeks. However, if they feel they need to continue using the product for longer in order to quit, it is safe to do so in most cases. Consumers are advised to consult their health care professional if they feel the need to use an OTC NRT for longer than the time period recommended in the label.

EDIT: Katya, you beat me to it.
EDIT: But I did quote a different part, so I'll leave it up.
EDIT: :)

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... So what does she do? She tells poor gum chewers to smoke and chew all they want. Flavors? No problem! No problem, no risk, no addiction. BT is happy, BP is happy, the FDA is happy. What's not to like?

Nothing.

Until something Better comes alone that is Untaxed, Unregulated and the Profits aren't going where they Should.

Everyone should Contact the CDC. But Especially those who Tried the Patch and or Gum. And it Didn't Work for them.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Nothing.

Until something Better comes alone that is Untaxed, Unregulated and the Profits aren't going where they Should.

Everyone should Contact the CDC. But Especially those who Tried the Patch and or Gum. And it Didn't Work for them.

I noted that in my second rant dispute letter to the CDC.

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Nothing.

I tried them all but only for a few weeks each. The worst was Chantix. Horrible side effects. It caused a strange (but thank god, temporary) "unexplained mental impairment" (which is what the ER tending physician listed on the Reason for Hospitalization that I saw on the insurance billing statement. . . (Even though I managed to tell them that I had been on Chantix for a couple weeks, as Prescribed. Chantix was not mentioned anywhere on the paperwork that I could tell. Odd huh?)

I'll send some more emails regarding Chantix and see if I get a different Response this time.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I tried them all but only for a few weeks each. The worst was Chantix. Horrible side effects. It caused a strange (but thank god, temporary) "unexplained mental impairment" (which is what the ER tending physician listed on the Reason for Hospitalization that I saw on the insurance billing statement. . . (Even though I managed to tell them that I had been on Chantix for a couple weeks, as Prescribed. Chantix was not mentioned anywhere on the paperwork that I could tell. Odd huh?)

I'll send some more emails regarding Chantix and see if I get a different Response this time.

I tried the Patch when it First came out. Back then it was by Prescription Only.

It Didn't Work for me all that well. And I had Full HD, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound, John Carter on Mars Dreams. I Always Dream. But these were Intense! In the Beginning, I kinda Looked Forward to going to Sleep. And What Adventure I would have that Night? But after 10 Days, I was a Wreck because I couldn't get a Good Night's Sleep.

Later, when Chantix had been out for a couple of Years, I asked my Doctor what She thought. She looked me Right in the Eye and said...

"NO. I will Not Give You a Prescription for Chantix. I Can't Stop You From Going To Another and Asking for It. But I Will Not Do It For You Under Any Circumstances. I Would Rather You Smoke Then Take Chantix."

That Kinda Freaked me Out. So I did some Reading about the possible "Side Effects" of Chantix.

A Side Effect to me is Itching, Dry Mouth, Mild Headache, Apatite Lose, Yada, Yada, Yada.

Freaking Out and Jumping from a 14th Floor Window is Not a Side Effect. It is a Sign that a Drug Should be Taken Off the Market.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
An honest Doctor. Keep that one.

She is Exactly what I want in a Doctor.

Judgmental about things like Smoking, Drinking, Diet and Exercise to a Degree. But realizes She is Dealing with an Adult. And Not a Child. More Concerned with a patient Getting Well. Than in Promoting a Her or a Monetary System. And Very Willing to just Look you in the Eye and Tell the Truth. She Doesn't Sugar Coat Anything.

A Rarity in Many Ways. And Definitely a Keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread