CE2 cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
if you get a good batch of e2 r4's, my first suggestion is to wash em out , then do a quick dry burn, this will ensure you start off with great taste. so far they have lasted for many weeks , i have had a few premature deaths but rarely. most have lasted for week and multiples dozen refills. i can see it being easy to use 4 a month and with care just 2 a month with no issues.

10 bucks for a pack plus 20 for juice which can last you more then a month is much cheaper then 2 packs of smokes. the savings is huge.

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
I posted this on the main r4 thread:

I've been using Vodka w/ good results but after hearing this distilled white vinegar talk I tried it. Left one soaking overnight and dry burned it. While it worked I'm not seeing the advantage over Vodka/PGA. Also, the wicks weren't as clean looking as when I use Vodka.

My verdict- I'll stick w/ Vodka. It evaporates quickly and doesn't stink or attract fruit flies...lol

The vinegar is working well for me. I'm not tempted to drink it rather then clean cartos with it either.

kwcharlie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Houston
acrigs.com
Have you done a cost/time/taste analysis on the batch, compared to new ones. (I'm not trying to be funny,) as I am a light vapor compared to most I can't rationalize putting that much effort into keeping them going, rather than - say - buying in bulk?

Of course that would assuming one could afford the initial outlay. Analogs here in Oz are $17.50 for a 25 pack now, so anything has got to be better than that.

It may not work out much different.

I'm with you 99%; instead of pitching them I'm trying this. the ones i left in acid/vinegar a few days did vape good, maybe better than new on the ones that got 90% of the gunk etched off. rather than going to lower ph I'm working with extending time but if it doesn't work I'll just pitch, not going to a bunch of dry burning that is a PITA. so far if i can get 90% of the gunk off the coil i think it will be worth it. using a ultrasonic (cheap one) too but don't think that helps much

st0nedpenguin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2010
WA
I've just been sticking a 3ml needle in through the hole in the battery end of the carto, then using it to draw water through the carto into the needle, then pumping it back out through the carto again. Since it actually jets the water across the coil it seems to work great for cleaning off any gunk. A few pumps of this followed by a quick shake and dry burn has me up and running again in minutes.

I should try doing the same with vodka/vinegar though one of these days I guess.

arjay55

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2010
- ɹəpun uʍop -
I've just been sticking a 3ml needle in through the hole in the battery end of the carto, then using it to draw water through the carto into the needle, then pumping it back out through the carto again. Since it actually jets the water across the coil it seems to work great for cleaning off any gunk. A few pumps of this followed by a quick shake and dry burn has me up and running again in minutes.

I should try doing the same with vodka/vinegar though one of these days I guess.

Good idea! That way it wouldn't affect the wicks so much, but clean the part that needs it most - the coil. I find the wicks have a self destruct mode after they have been used for a while. If you touch them or rough them up in any way they come apart in strings and clumps - eeech.

Something new every day on ECF :)

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA

For a short period I was doing sort of the same thing. I used a turkey baster. I cut the end off of a carto condom and slid it over the end of the baster tube and then slid the baster/condom onto the end of the carto.

For me boiling and then soaking in vinegar does a better job. Bear in mind I think whatever juice a particular person is using has a big bearing on the cleaning methods required.

I'm still using 7 of the 8 E2 r3's I started with at the beginning of September. I murdered the 8th in a moment of reckless abandon.

Last edited:

Tim the Enchanter

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
Kettering, OH (Dayton suburb)
OK. If you get the 5 pads in the box (I got some new ones last week from Vapor Junction), what are you to do with them? If they are filler, why didn't they put them in the cartos before they shipped them? I'm assuming there are none in there already, i.e. in the juice tank below the fill-hole stopper, but I haven't looked.

The first pack I got from COV didn't have the filler pads and were an earlier production date.

I'm starting to think we all need to get together and write an instruction manual. LOL

Thx!

Tim

P.S. Has anyone thought of White Wine Vinegar in a jewler's sonic cleaner device?

Last edited:

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
The polyfill pads can be used or not. I think those came about because they were reading that a lot of us were using PTB with good success, and they wanted to do "something" to enable people to mod their own out of the box. You can cut that poly into smaller squares and place it in-between the cup slots and outer wall to help with wicking and reduce leaking if you take the filler ring out, but it doesn't work as well as PTB.

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
OK. If you get the 5 pads in the box (I got some new ones last week from Vapor Junction), what are you to do with them? If they are filler, why didn't they put them in the cartos before they shipped them? I'm assuming there are none in there already, i.e. in the juice tank below the fill-hole stopper, but I haven't looked.
Tim, the original R4's had one of these pads in the bottom of the reservoir. Everyone screamed bloody murder about it being there and began calling it an R3.75 bastomizer. So the factory began leaving them out, but included them in the box so we could use them as an option.

They were tested with the pad at the factory and claims were that they worked better. I have tested them that way too, and they are right. That is, they work better when the wicks are too short. I also found that a good R4 with longer wicks out performs the bastomizer. The pads probably costs them as much as a wee bit more wicking material, so I think they are a silly fix.

Tim the Enchanter

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
Kettering, OH (Dayton suburb)
Thx BanjoMan & br5495.

hijacked.gif

Do you think you could stuff one (maybe 2 or 3) of those pads into a cartridge for an atomizer? :confused:

The reason I ask is that I got a Low Res 808 atty from COV (a Cisco) and, apparently, they don't come with filler. Since I am a n00b
n00b.gif
, I didn't know that and I didn't order any cartridges. :facepalm:

The empty cartridge is sitting here and has never been used so far. I got lucky and did happen to order a drip tip, so I have used the atty. In fact, I've been sucking on this drip tip about a week now, solid. I never thought I would be a dripper (at my age, I don't even like that sound of that
gasp.gif
), but I'm retired so I'm home most of the time. Works out that it is easy to use, and gives a lot of flavor and fog.

Thx,

Tim

/me Googles "vaping for dummies"

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
Thx BanjoMan & br5495.

hijacked.gif

Do you think you could stuff one (maybe 2 or 3) of those pads into a cartridge for an atomizer? :confused:

The reason I ask is that I got a Low Res 808 atty from COV (a Cisco) and, apparently, they don't come with filler. Since I am a n00b
n00b.gif
, I didn't know that and I didn't order any cartridges. :facepalm:

The empty cartridge is sitting here and has never been used so far. I got lucky and did happen to order a drip tip, so I have used the atty. In fact, I've been sucking on this drip tip about a week now, solid. I never thought I would be a dripper (at my age, I don't even like that sound of that
gasp.gif
), but I'm retired so I'm home most of the time. Works out that it is easy to use, and gives a lot of flavor and fog.

Thx,

Tim

/me Googles "vaping for dummies"

Some of my 801 cartridges have the same type of material. It doesn't work all that well for me. But then I haven't had a cartridge of any kind for any atty that I was satisfied with and always wound up dripping (at my age I don't do it very much).

So why ask us? You got the stuff. Try it and find out. It ain't gonna blow up on you or anything like that, heheh. Just don't pack it in there too tight. Put in just enough to hold your juice in suspension.

icemanx3

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Silicon Valley, CA
THE MAIN PROBLEM PEOPLE ARE EXPERIENCING IS BECAUSE OF THE OHMS, YOU COULD HAVE A GOOD WORKING R2 R3 OR R4 BUT IF THE OHMS ARE AT 2.5 AND YOUR USING IT AT 3.3 OR 3.7 YOUR GONNA DRY THE WICK AND GET THE BAD TASTE.

so it doesnt matter if you got the real r4, if its not in the ohm range of 2.9 and above your going to get thats taste eventually unless you mod it with ptb.

(( unless you have a varaible device))

Well that solves that...I am using my E2 R4 Cartos on a 3.7v mod. 2 of them so far ended up with the burnt taste. Guess I'll leave the other 3 sealed and use them if I ever get something below 3.7v. Although, the box says they expire on September 15th, 2012 so I'd better hurry :p

Thanks for the info Badkolo, I wont waste any time trying to clean these, etc.

ice

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
Well that solves that...I am using my E2 R4 Cartos on a 3.7v mod. 2 of them so far ended up with the burnt taste. Guess I'll leave the other 3 sealed and use them if I ever get something below 3.7v. Although, the box says they expire on September 15th, 2012 so I'd better hurry :p

Thanks for the info Badkolo, I wont waste any time trying to clean these, etc.

ice

If your juice is thick, a thinner one may wick better at 3.7 volts.

The expiration date is for the juice if they were ordered pre-filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread