Status
Not open for further replies.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Just started reading "Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2" and I have a ? concerning thinning the tails. I've seen it referred to as "thinning" but also as "clipping". When thinning out the tails with Rayon do I rake out excess fibers like I do with cotton or do I cut a portion of the tail to reduce the excess?
Either will do. I usually clip as it's faster and easier.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
With cotton bacon, I don't notice a real big difference on break in. Tastes pretty good right away. But for me, day 2 (after about 2-3 ml) is usually the best it's gonna be. How long of a break-in did you notice with rayon?
Very short for me. 8-10 puffs and the taste is gone for me. It varies by the person, though. Some never taste it at all, and some think it never goes away.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Either will do. I usually clip as it's faster and easier.
as I continued reading I saw some great pics that showed how it should look after being thinned out. Guess I should have kept on reading. Thanks!

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Not tight enough with cotton way my biggest mistake when learning - especially with spaced coils. Some pretty powerful popping went on for a coil or two until I learned to make it as tight as I could without distorting the coil. I know I'll have to work on my twisting technique to get it right on rayon.
Wish it'd show up! USPS always shows delivery several days before something is actually delivered- Sunday this time. I guess they count it delivered when they give it to your mailma...mailperson. And they put it in my box whenever suits them.:grr:
Then you might not notice a big difference in the amount used with rayon....I think most who use cotton under wick the amounts, so when moving to rayon, they feel they are using way more....I too use to use alot of cotton thru coil , so when I switched to rayon, I didn't feel there was much of a difference. ...what has changed is the tail amounts...back when I was using cotton, my biggest coil was maybe 2mm, at this diameter I didn't feel the tails needed trimming, but once I moved to rayon, my coils went to 2.5 to 2.8 mm. At those diameters, both cotton and rayon tails need trimming in certain rtas if you have added the correct amounts thru coil. Imo, both cotton and rayon are wicked similarly , at least in my rtas. I just think tails in general need trimming, whether it cotton or rayon, because in alot of these rtas, the juice wells are just tiny....in have one rta, the byka v6 and it's not picky at all...in have wicked it with rayon both ways many times and it doesn't require any tail trimming at all. I tried it with no trimming and trimming and it simply doesn't matter because the juice wells are huge. So imo tail trimming doesn't seem to be something that is rayon exclusive or something rayon needs, it's simply done when juice wells are small, so it doesn't impede juice flow, which should be the same as cotton......I do however prefer rayon for flavor and don't use cotton all that much
Some just cut tails at an angle or an arrow shape instead of thinning.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Finally got the Rayon today, and rewicked. It does take more time, of course, than cotton - there's the extra steps of twisting, thinning, re-trimming after thinning. After reading about it shrinking/settling, etc. - I really twisted and put a lot in there. Actually deformed the last wrap of coil, and had to insert a knife to re-separate (spaced coil). Probably don't need to be that aggressive with how much rayon I use. I was kind of surprised at first- strong throat hit, very little vapor. Very similar to cotton break-in taste, though. After a dozen or so hits, it really settled in nicely. I think the throat hit is really still strong (maybe a chance to reduce nic if it keeps up), flavor good, no wick taste at all. Vapor production after break-in was normal. I'll see how it goes over the next day or so, with the different moods of my mouth & throat. But right now, I'm liking it. Not a massive difference from my usual cotton bacon, but different.

I still think with the higher combustion point and more efficient wicking, that it ought to last longer than cotton. With cotton, I do see buildup on the coils after a while, of course - but since I started considering rayon, I noticed that when I remove a cotton wick, it always looks a little charred under the coils. So maybe with better wicking and higher temp, it should taste better longer. We'll see.

Gotta go watch the Falcons beat the Saints now!

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Glad you posted this. Been getting a lot of crackling with my dual build in rda and didn't know why. Spaces are pretty wide. Will wrap another pair and test your theory. Hope you are rigjt. No spitting but the noise is irritating.

I had the same problem with Rayon popping and spitting. The last thing I tried was closer coil winds than I had done previously. I used to pull the coil to stretch it while on the mandrel and let it relax. That put some pretty wide spaces between coils.

Lately, I've been stretching my SS316L coils very lightly and then pushing them down to the point where they touch. Then, I allow them to expand where they want to. That's usually micro spacing that looks compressed, but there's enough space to show design resistance and work fine with TC mode. I get much less popping and sputtering that way. The coil is going to expand with heat anyway, so you get the resistance you expected.

I'm winding 28ga SS316L with a 2.5mm coil diameter.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Just quit spacing them and lowered my dw percentage. So spitting or crackling.

My mixes are PG/VG, flavoring, and nic. I haven't tried distilled water, although I always have a gallon around the house for other things.

My mixes are 50/50 and 60pg/40vg, so they are thin enough for me. Would DW provide any benefit at those mix levels?

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
My mixes are PG/VG, flavoring, and nic. I haven't tried distilled water, although I always have a gallon around the house for other things.

What's the benefit in DW? I haven't researched it.
I read it helps with the heavy lung feeling so when I started diy I gave it a shot. It does help but too muck makes your juice crackle. First I quit spacing coils and that helped some so I dropped dw to 4% as well. It worked. I only add pg if my flavor percentages are below 10%.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well one benefit of it is a little bit goes a long way in thinning a vape. The main benefit for me (I can't use much PG at all, the amounts I use for flavoring are minute) are that I can take my max VG to 90%VG 10% DW. That smoothed out my vape considerably, and VG has a pretty low boiling point as compared to PG (I think) so for me, temps in my tank fell considerably.... That was a big benefit, they were heating up noticeably. Wicking was easier (not that I had terrible troubles in my MTL tanks, which was a bit surprising but I didn't have to worry about "pulling" more vape into my wick via inhaling for a few seconds after pressing the fire button.

I have less gunking now and my coils last longer (I'm guessing less gunk and lower temps) and it's a lot easier to handle my (DIY) liquids....

The taste actually improved noticeably too (I was not expecting it and a "reluctant" adder of DW, I did it mainly due to recommendations made on the TC thread, and that surprised me. I still don't really know why it improved flavor other than wicking improved considerably or something.

Some folks, even using PG like a drop or two in their tanks to thin the vape at times. I just straight up use it in DIY and usually steep my flavors with the cap on, so it doesn't evaporate.

Hope some of this is useful, although I think if you aren't PG sensitive, then well, you may not need it, but it might be worth trying to see if you like a bit of DW in your vape....

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread