Cellucotton

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawr

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
I am using rayon for 2 weeks now. Its great for flavor and wicking and is easy to manage, but in aqua and kayfun i get bad taste after 2 or 3 days. Its hard to get appropriate amount into the coil, because it doesnt expand like cotton. Its more like silica wick when saturated... So it can easily move away from the coil athe the sides and that means burnt taste or its too much rayon and in 2 to 3 days you will get bad taste. 5 rebuilds, still not good. Back to organic cotton on rta! Japanese cotton is on the way! :)

In magma and tobh, rayon works great! Delivers delicious taste and you can get clean taste from new aroma right away!

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
It took some tries to learn using it on a kayfun. But in the end it was worth the effort. It's tight inside there and rayon will sag. The balance between having enough in the coil but not taking up too much airspace required some fiddling. My best results used a diagonal trim on the wick with the ends just reaching the platform below the build stage. Density inside the coil also takes some experience. Which is hard to gain with a kfl style tank because you have to dump the tank to rewick. Too loose, it sags and you get hot spots, too tight and it chokes and you get dry hits. Coil about 1.5-2mm above the air hole is usually my sweet spot. I think larger diameter coils were more forgiving and easier to learn how to use it. I also used some hybrid (cotton center, rayon outer) wicks in the beginning. As the rayon would sag the cotton would expand and keep tight on the coil.

After you get it down it's like riding a bike. Any future rebuilds/rewicks go as planned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread