Chalice - MarkBugs Bottom Feeder Atomiser - Official thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HgA1C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2009
Michigan
So I just received two of these today from Mountain Oak. Built one of them and am really enjoying it. Honestly, the overall experience crushes the RM2 and Cyclone for me. It is early, but I think I am done looking for a better atomizer.

However, one of them has a vertical scratch right down the capital C in Chalice that runs the length of the mid-section. Has anyone else had this problem?

HgA1C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2009
Michigan
Not sure if I am being overly critical. So, here is the best picture of the scratch I could get.

IMG_20150612_215917191.jpg

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Don't have mine yet, but in preparation I was wondering about Kanthal A1 gauge recommendations?
Watched a SuperX video were he said 28g was a bit too big for post holes, and 29g was his favorite. I believe it was an older model or version then the latest version 3, and from what I understand the screws have changed, not sure about the post holes. As of now all I have is 28g, that I use to make micro coils for my Egrip OLED rba, 10 wraps, 28g, end up at approx 1.2-1.5 ohms.

The Chalice 3, will be for a new Reo Mini 14500, so I don't know what builds are recommended for this mod? To cover myself, I just ordered some 27g, and some 29g from Tempco. Problem is I may be stuck for awhile with just the 28g, as the two other gauges I ordered are backorderd for 4-5 weeks, guess those are popular these days. All tips and user recommendations are welcome, thanks!

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
on a 14500 you want to minimise power consumption so I'd say try to stay with the lighter gauge wires, 29 would be good, 28 will do fine too for now. the C3 doesn't have post holes, you wrap the wire around a post and tighten a nut to clamp it. watch out for the cut end facing outwards towards the caps threads. clearance there is minimal and the cut wire end could short to the cap when you screw it down, try to have your cut ends face inboard

Evil Speakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
lawrence, KS
Don't have mine yet, but in preparation I was wondering about Kanthal A1 gauge recommendations?
Watched a SuperX video were he said 28g was a bit too big for post holes, and 29g was his favorite. I believe it was an older model or version then the latest version 3, and from what I understand the screws have changed, not sure about the post holes. As of now all I have is 28g, that I use to make micro coils for my Egrip OLED RBA, 10 wraps, 28g, end up at approx 1.2-1.5 ohms.

The Chalice 3, will be for a new Reo Mini 14500, so I don't know what builds are recommended for this mod? To cover myself, I just ordered some 27g, and some 29g from Tempco. Problem is I may be stuck for awhile with just the 28g, as the two other gauges I ordered are backorderd for 4-5 weeks, guess those are popular these days. All tips and user recommendations are welcome, thanks!

Version 3 doesn't have post holes. You wrap the wire around each post, not through a hole. You'll have no problem with 28g. I use 28g with mine and it's awesome. Just a simple spaced 7-8 wrap coil is all I use.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Version 3 doesn't have post holes. You wrap the wire around each post, not through a hole. You'll have no problem with 28g. I use 28g with mine and it's awesome. Just a simple spaced 7-8 wrap coil is all I use.

I may try spaced coils as well instead of contact micro coils, as I recently read that spaced coils might be better for sweet juices that gunk up my micro coils so quickly. The micros in my Egrip RBA vape well, but the black gunk buildup seems to cake on the coils rapidly. Not sure if this is correct or not.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I also remember reading something about lining up the inner air holes somehow to the coil, and on some you were able to use the engraved letters on the exterior as a guide, is this still true with this model 3? Thanks!
I haven't had any of the previous models, but on the Chalice 3, the inner air hole lines up correctly with the coil every time. Just snug the cap down and it's spot on. The thing that could benefit from a reference mark is the airflow adjustment. On any particular example you could use the written logo as a reference, but its placement relative to to the AFC is not consistent from one atty to the next.

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
I may try spaced coils as well instead of contact micro coils, as I recently read that spaced coils might be better for sweet juices that gunk up my micro coils so quickly. The micros in my Egrip RBA vape well, but the black gunk buildup seems to cake on the coils rapidly. Not sure if this is correct or not.

Spaced coils will help reduce how fast gunk builds up and does give a slightly cooler, more dense vapor. For flavor chasers, a spaced coil will help.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
To minimize gurgling it's also helpful to have airhole up when firing.

Good to know!

I just watched a SuperX video on the new 510 adjustable pin on all the latest Reo Mods, he was showing how to line up an RBA that had external side air flow slots. Does this apply to the Chalice III, as it has the single air hole internally that lines up with the coil? Does it matter where that internal air hole lines up on the mod itself, in terms of leaking, gurgling, etc?

Thanks folks, I'm saving all your comments in a document for reference, hopefully in a week or so I'll have my Reo 14500, and Chalice III.

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
Thanks! Without an "adjustable" 510 pin, I assume one must rely on luck that the air hole lines up once screwed on. Glad the new Reo's have that ability.
With the non-adjustable 510 you can just use different thickness o-rings under the atty to reach the same goal. The flexibility of an o-ring gives you surprising leeway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread