Chalice people

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMagick

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2011
Australia
I was keen on getting a chalice, but after a couple attempts at my A7, I'm having second thoughts.
All my rebuilds have quite a high resistance, like 2.5-3ohm.
I did manage to rebuild a coil at 1.8 using less wick, but wasn't a fan on how airy the draw was. Also, lower resistance at 1.5 would have been better, as it doesn't compare to my other atties.

Is the draw as loose on the chalice?
Oh, and any tips on building low resistance coils?
I'm not gonna spend big bucks on the chalice if i cannot rebuild a coil on the a7 properly

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I'm using 32ga Kanthal A1 with around 4 or 5 coils.
What do you mean by doubling it up? Lol sorry I'm a complete noob when it comes to rebuildables.
Also, my local shop has 36ga Kanthal, would that be better?

DrMagik, that exactly the stuff I'm using, and I can't seem to wrap one higher than 1/4-1.6 ohm. Maybe you're using more wicking material which would take up more of the wire. I use 32 gauge Kanthal A1 with 4-5 wraps. I'm using cotton wicks, and I use about 4-5 strands of embroidery thread. I even wrap around a fat needle to use a little more wire and still can't get past the 1.5 ohm mark. Maybe you should use a little less wicking material....that's the only variable I can think of that might be different from the ones I'm wrapping.

davelog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2011
Phoenix
www.davelog.com
36ga would be worse - 32g is the thicker of the two, and thicker wire = lower resistance. By doubling it up, I mean if you normally use 4 inches of wire to wrap your coil, cut 10" off your spool and then fold it in half. Then twist it (like if you were trying to twist two wires together) until it's nice and tight. This will give you about 4 inches again, but it'll be twice as thick. Then wrap your coil with that. If you normally got 3.5ohms out of that many wraps, you'll get around 1.7ohms with the doubled-up wire.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
I haven't tried mesh, did a lot of experimenting with various types of cotton (candle wick, cheesecloth, yarn) and ended up back with good ol' silica.

Well for me the 400 SS Mesh is the best vape out there. Its much more suited to a genesis though were its soaked in juice at all times. It worked well in the Chalice but if you just one hit over when you should have squonked the dry hits will knock your socks off. So I found myself squonking every couple hits just to be sure :D Got to be too much work.

I too tried all kinds of cotton and ended up with good ole' Silica as well. Its a darn fine vape.

DrMagick

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2011
Australia
I got a low resistance coil now, but getting dry hits even with the silica soaked. Tastes like smoke :(
Looks dry while i hit it, but it seems to soak up straight away as soon as i stop pressing the button on my Grand.
I will add that i wrapped the doubled coils really tight without using a pin, it kinda looks like its cutting into the wick lol
Is it my 100% vg juice not wicking? Or is it my coils? Too tight? Or do I need to break in the wick/coils first?

DrMagick

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2011
Australia
ok thanks :)
Well doubling the wire worked a treat anyways, I'll have another crack at her when I get home. If I succeed then I will definately be getting a chalice as soon as they go back up for sale ;)

My last coil was reading between 1.2-1.5 ohms. What's the lowest I can go before a short on my Reo Grand (18659 aw imr, also have a aw protected 17670 I can use if it is safer).

I'm contemplating get some extra Reo springs sent to me just in case hehe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

davelog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2011
Phoenix
www.davelog.com
i just bought a chalice lol
another user on another forum was selling one along with a RedSkyMods Cutlass II. I just sent her a deposit so I better learn how to do this shiet lol.

I just tried again using 4 wraps. 2.5 ohm. I'm wondering if maybe my local vendor sent me the wrong ga wire by mistake?

It's possible. Was that 2.5ohms on 4 wraps with the wire doubled and twisted?

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
No it wasn't doubled, just single.

Have also learnt that this vendors wire is 0.16mm which turns out to actually be 34ga someone has told me.

That would help explain why 4 wraps is getting you higher ohms than my 4 wraps of 32 gauge. It's been a mystery. Ha. Rob (redeyedancer) told me he uses 28 gauge. Wonder how many wraps he uses...? Anyway, my 4 wraps of 32 gauge Kanthal A gives me 1.4-1.5 ohms consistently. If you PM me, I'll send you a little 32 gauge to try...

I noticed on ebay there's a lot of Kanthal A wire out there nowadays (they were running low....it was getting hard to find there for a little while) in all gauges. I'm thinking of getting some 28 gauge and some 30 gauge so I can get a few more wraps (hence more surface area) and still have low resistence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread