Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
That would help explain why 4 wraps is getting you higher ohms than my 4 wraps of 32 gauge. It's been a mystery. Ha. Rob (redeyedancer) told me he uses 28 gauge. Wonder how many wraps he uses...? Anyway, my 4 wraps of 32 gauge Kanthal A gives me 1.4-1.5 ohms consistently. If you PM me, I'll send you a little 32 gauge to try...

I noticed on ebay there's a lot of Kanthal A wire out there nowadays (they were running low....it was getting hard to find there for a little while) in all gauges. I'm thinking of getting some 28 gauge and some 30 gauge so I can get a few more wraps (hence more surface area) and still have low resistence.

I prefer the 30 gauge on my Chalice ... although I use the 28 ga on my Genesis atomizers.
I do 5 wraps of 30 gauge A1 but honestly I don't think i've ever checked the resistance ..... VVs make me lazy :)
As long is its somewhere between 1.0 and 2.3 I can get a crackin vape.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I prefer the 30 gauge on my Chalice ... although I use the 28 ga on my Genesis atomizers.
I do 5 wraps of 30 gauge A1 but honestly I don't think i've ever checked the resistance ..... VVs make me lazy :)
As long is its somewhere between 1.0 and 2.3 I can get a crackin vape.

Ha. Yeh, VVs do make ya lazy. Me, too. But I only have one VV...and I'm using 4 RBAs, so three of them are on something not VV. So....I check the ohms now and then to see what to use what on. The VV is very forgiving, and if I get a coil over 1.6 or so (by accident....I usually can't do exactly what I want) I know I need to save it for the VV and move one of my others to a 3.7 device. I like about 1.3-1.5 ohms on the Grand, the 18490, and one of my Mini Woodvils that will take the A7 or the Chalice. I just wish all the RBAs fit all the REOs....would make my life easier. The Chalice and the A7 will fit most everything except the metal Minis. The ERAs won't fit anything but the VV Grand and the regular Grand. Guess I'm just getting too many RBAs. ha.

Think I'll pick up some 30 gauge so I can stay at the ohms I like and still get a couple more wraps. Even when I have the absolute perfect vape, I find myself on the never-ending quest for something even more perfect. I just hope this rba wave of perfection doesn't break my bank. I love the vape from these things....don't know why I'm even considering changing a thing (gauge) because what I have now is the best I've ever had. Funny that I stayed with the same brand of cigarettes for at least 20 years at a time.... LOL

DrMagick

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2011
Australia
Got my Cutlass II and my Chalice I in the post today :)
Lucky for me the seller was nice enough to build a coil/wick in there for me to see how its done. Though to be honest now that I have a VV mod I'm not to fussed on getting a low resistance.

Just a question on rebuilding the atomiser, should the coil wraps be close to each other? Or evenly spaced out? I was trying to wrap them close together which may be why all my coils sucked lol. The coil in this chalice is evenly spaced apart.

I was trying to build my coil wraps as close as possible without touching which may be the reason i was getting so many dry hits!

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
When I build mine, they are spaced evenly....and about 4 little wraps are spread far enough apart to span the whole space between poles. They are about 1/16th of an inch apart. I guess I'm saying a little spread out. They need to not be touching each other, and they need to not be touching either post. I'm using 32 gauge Kanthal, and get a coil of about 1.4-1.5 ohm. If I were using 30 gauge Kanthal, I would use about 6 wraps to get the same resistence...so they might need to be a little closer together...still not touching. Hope this helps.

Also, don't make the coils too tight around the wick. The wick needs space to expand a little when it's wet. If it's too tight, it will choke your wick and you'll get dry hits. My wicks are loose (I can move them through the coils easily) before they're wet. I'm sure some wicking material swells less that others....I'm using cotton wicks and they swell quite a bit. I can slide them through the coils easily before they're wet....almost to the point of pulling them out if I'm not careful. But once they're wet, they swell up and touch the coils, which is what I'm going for.

Last edited:

DrMagick

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2011
Australia
Well I fired the chalice up with the rebuilt coil they kindly made me. Still tasting burnt. If this ....... didnt cost so much I'd throw it out the window lol.

Does the wick need to be broken in or something? I have dry burned the coils looking for hotspots but they all seem to glow red around the same time.
I dunno, I give up lol

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Well I fired the chalice up with the rebuilt coil they kindly made me. Still tasting burnt. If this ....... didnt cost so much I'd throw it out the window lol.

Does the wick need to be broken in or something? I have dry burned the coils looking for hotspots but they all seem to glow red around the same time.
I dunno, I give up lol

No, no, no...don't give up. Check your feed tube...make sure it's feeding (watch it with the lid off). Once you conquer it (it won't be long, just don't give up) it'll be the best vape you've ever had. Are you using it on a VV? Maybe it's too low resistence....lower your voltage. Totally soak your wick at first....it might need a little breaking in. Then squonk and watch the juice soak the wick.

What wicking material are you using, and what gauge wire are you using?

DrMagick

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2011
Australia
I'm using 2mm silica with 32ga kanthal a1. Mod is vv but i've only got it at 3.7v and the coil reads 1.5ohm.
Juice is 100%vg, should I maybe thin it out with some PG?
I always make sure the wick is wet. I usually apply drops on it to make sure. Should I maybe flood it to start off with?

When you say a new wick needs breaking in, how exactly do you break it in?

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Well, I just mean it takes a few vapes for it to start tasting great. I don't use silica, so not sure about that....but yes, I'd flood it a time or to. The excess juice will just flow back down into your bottle, so flood it a LOT at first. Soak it. The only thing I can think of is that your coil is maybe too tight around the wick, so juice is not getting spread through the whole coil. I don't know. I just know that when you get it right, it'll be the best vape you've ever had.

Sterno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2010
Oklahoma City
www.reosmods.com
Well, I just mean it takes a few vapes for it to start tasting great. I don't use silica, so not sure about that....but yes, I'd flood it a time or to. The excess juice will just flow back down into your bottle, so flood it a LOT at first. Soak it. The only thing I can think of is that your coil is maybe too tight around the wick, so juice is not getting spread through the whole coil. I don't know. I just know that when you get it right, it'll be the best vape you've ever had.

cant wait to see you this saturday Jan :)

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine

I dunno, I give up lol
Take the coil that came with the atomizer off toss it in the trash and build your own coil you will be amazed at the difference

hildicat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal

I dunno, I give up lol

I've found that a burnt taste can often mean there is a short somewhere on the coil. I would take it out and start over. Make damn sure none of the coils are touching other coils or the post or the floor of the atty. This can be difficult if you build the coil/wick together then try to install it. Lately I've been building the coil on a toothpick then installing it in the atty. Without the wick in place you can clearly see all of the coil to make sure its not touching anything else. I then thread my cotton wick between the coil and when it soaks up some juice it swells up into the coil nicely.

I would also add that you should meter your coil by touch the meter leads to each post. Using 32g Kanthal, a 4/5 wrap should get you between 1.5~1.7Ω. If you're not getting that you have a short somewhere.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Sorry your having trouble Dr .... not sure what else to add, I've never had any bad vapes from mine except with the coil that came installed. My first home built coil/wick was vaping up a storm right off the bat.

If you get too frustrated and can't figure it out .... PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
My 30-gauge kanthal came in the mail today, so I gave it a shot - sweeeet! Now I can get 4 wraps around my square-braid #3 cotton wick for about 1.25 ohms. I wonder if my wicks will last a bit longer since the heat is a little more distributed? I guess the only way to find out is to vape - I'm on it ;-)

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
For those that have never tried twisted 32 gauge A1 you owe it to yourself to go for it.

Its only twice the wire but its 5X better for flavor and vapor. I don't know why I waited so long.

I started with 32g Kanthal then switched to 30g and sometimes 28g (but its way stiff).
Twisted 32 atcts a lot like the 28 for plumes of vapor but seems like much better flavor and its not as stiff to work with.

I've heard of twisting it in a drill but my chuck doesn't close tight enough to catch the two wires. So I just took a foot of wire folded it in half, held the loose ends and twisted the U end with a pencil. Only took a couple minutes to do by hand and I have enough for 2 or 3 coils at least.

Just remember when you twist wire it drops the resistance per inch so throw on at least one extra coil maybe more if you don't have a VV device. I gave myself a nic headache last night because I couldn't stop hittin it :D

Have a good one,

Chinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2011
Toronto, Canada
So I got my chalice and have a few things to report!

Pros. This thing is awesome! Very easy to set up. Using folded 3mm ody wick and 32 kanthal. Still working out the best set up for bobas, but first attempt was a 2.3ohm that's pounding out the vapor. Still not quite there flavor wise, but working on it! Draw is perfect, no gurgling and no juice mouth. Also no catch cup mess whatsoever so far.

Second thing I was surprised about, is that these fit and work beautifully on my 14500 reo mini woodvils! I had read that the mini wouldn't work, but maybe the woods are different.

The only real con I can think of so far, is that the chalice engraving and air hole are not facing the front on my reo lol.

Anyone with any suggestions for the best setup with heavy VG, ill be happy to listen!

Chalice is expensive, but total win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread