RDA Characteristics of "flavor" attys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Basically what you just described is the new N22 V2 rda... I really like the idea, but it will do what any other bottom air rda does....leaks....
6RPGtnR.png
That's not quite exactly what I had in mind, plus there has got to be a way to cut down on leaks. We all need to come together and think about something that will stop leaks. But I digress. Sketch is in the works.

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
That's not quite exactly what I had in mind, plus there has got to be a way to cut down on leaks. We all need to come together and think about something that will stop leaks. But I digress. Sketch is in the works.
That's the trickiest part of working out a bottom airflow atty - preventing leaks. The airflow holes on the Kennedy are completely ridiculous. At least on attys like the Freakshow (and Mini), if you get leaking it will go down the side of the mod. With the Kennedy, it's right on top of the mod and quite likely into the 510 connection of the mod. Not a huge deal with a mech (though still annoying), but you potentially ruin a regulated device.

Would an airflow system similar to the Hastur but with the airhole under the coil be feasible?

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
That's the trickiest part of working out a bottom airflow atty - preventing leaks. The airflow holes on the Kennedy are completely ridiculous. At least on attys like the Freakshow (and Mini), if you get leaking it will go down the side of the mod. With the Kennedy, it's right on top of the mod and quite likely into the 510 connection of the mod. Not a huge deal with a mech (though still annoying), but you potentially ruin a regulated device.

Would an airflow system similar to the Hastur but with the airhole under the coil be feasible?
Not anymore with the redesigned base. Kennedy Enterprises took the Kennedy 24mm base and applied it across the board to the 22mm version as well. Personally I prefer the way the v1&2 Kennedy's have their afc set up compared to a freakshow or mutation x v4. It's more of a straight shot to the coils with the 2x air tubes on each side of the atty. However, the N22 v2 above is not what I had pictured when I got my brain working again (too many dead cells in the thinking department, had to shake off the rust) - I'm in the works of drawing something out, something that if professionally CAD drawn or 3D printed (for a non-functional prototype), that could possibly change the atty market. I have my ideas, and when I finish thisc am open to all the criticism in the world, as I know that it won't be perfect.
Edit: while this may be a Kennedy 24mm, Kennedy has adopted this base on their 22mm version as well:
image.jpg

Last edited:

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
I posted this in another thread a few days ago but I'll repost

I could be wrong here but I think the vape travel doesn't affect much per se, nor the size of the chamber, the issue is the turbulence it crates along the way condensing the vapor before it reaches the mouth. If you have s long aerodynamic passage that concentrates the whole cloud on one point you will have a really dense flavor, that is where the domed caps come in.

so for me the rda has to have an airflow that passes semi straight through the coil, and then goes up, a domed cap concentrates it a bit (the bottom of the driptip shouldn't stick out into the cap roof or it will create unnecessary turbulence and condense liquid there)*

one clear example of this is the roof of the stillare, a lot of folks where whining that the drip tip 510 socket had an unnecessary lip that restricts the flow, but in reality it helped to give the airflow less friction as it passes
I don't really like the stillare but it shows that point well
Stillare-Clone.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
. . . . vape travel doesn't affect much per se, nor the size of the chamber, the issue is the turbulence . . .

I'm wondering if it's not condensate related (once the interior of the chamber warms up, less and less condensate) but it's the turbulence you mention. If our ideal is nothing but juice expanded into steam with a measure of flash boiled aerosol entering our mouth then the less air employed to carry that steam and cool the coil the better. Every cc of air that enters the atty but does not flow smoothly and directly around the coil to cool it and carry the steam/aerosol is a wasted cc of air diluting the mix. Turbulent flow would (?) increase that "wasted" air.

Reactions: DoubleEwe

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
I'm wondering if it's not condensate related (once the interior of the chamber warms up, less and less condensate) but it's the turbulence you mention. If our ideal is nothing but juice expanded into steam with a measure of flash boiled aerosol entering our mouth then the less air employed to carry that steam and cool the coil the better. Every cc of air that enters the atty but does not flow smoothly and directly around the coil to cool it and carry the steam/aerosol is a wasted cc of air diluting the mix. Turbulent flow would (?) increase that "wasted" air.

yes the turbulent flow "grabs" the flavored aerosol and hits the walls and condensates it inside the chamber. the aerodynamic flow grabs the flavored aerosol and carries into our mouth.

this is another example I can think of but it's not an rda, its an rta.

when I got my orchid I changed my wick every 4 days and they where a but caramelized and dark colored. a few months later I changed the chimney to a KF4 one (much more conical and aerodynamic) I did noticed that my wick lasted much longer and didn't darkened.

the darkening is just the "aerosolized" (is this a word?) juice condensed inside the chamber and then "rains" back into the wicks.

so yes the condensation inside is flavor that doesn't make it into the mouth so it's wasted flavor

Reactions: Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
yes the turbulent flow "grabs" the flavored aerosol and hits the walls and condensates it inside the chamber. the aerodynamic flow grabs the flavored aerosol and carries into our mouth.

this is another example I can think of but it's not an rda, its an rta.

when I got my orchid I changed my wick every 4 days and they where a but caramelized and dark colored. a few months later I changed the chimney to a KF4 one (much more conical and aerodynamic) I did noticed that my wick lasted much longer and didn't darkened.

the darkening is just the "aerosolized" (is this a word?) juice condensed inside the chamber and then "rains" back into the wicks.

so yes the condensation inside is flavor that doesn't make it into the mouth so it's wasted flavor

Interesting. And yes, as far as I'm concerned, aerosolized is a word (if it wasn't it is now lol).

Reactions: vapero

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Not anymore with the redesigned base. Kennedy Enterprises took the Kennedy 24mm base and applied it across the board to the 22mm version as well. Personally I prefer the way the v1&2 Kennedy's have their afc set up compared to a freakshow or mutation x v4. It's more of a straight shot to the coils with the 2x air tubes on each side of the atty. However, the N22 v2 above is not what I had pictured when I got my brain working again (too many dead cells in the thinking department, had to shake off the rust) - I'm in the works of drawing something out, something that if professionally CAD drawn or 3D printed (for a non-functional prototype), that could possibly change the atty market. I have my ideas, and when I finish thisc am open to all the criticism in the world, as I know that it won't be perfect.
Edit: while this may be a Kennedy 24mm, Kennedy has adopted this base on their 22mm version as well: View attachment 481939

That Kennedy in the photo is similar to how I would design an RDA, but the biggest change I would make is the posts. The posts on that (and the freakshow) make coil building awkward as they do not allow for natural alignment of the coils over the air inlets.
Mine would be more similar to the magma, 2 posts (one would have to be press fit due the positive post not being central). Doing it in this manner would also mean that it is easy to modify for bottom feeding.

I have a few other ideas knocking around in my head for other parts of the design.

Are we any closer to finding a machinist to implement our ideas (or go into business with...)?

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
That Kennedy in the photo is similar to how I would design an RDA, but the biggest change I would make is the posts. The posts on that (and the freakshow) make coil building awkward as they do not allow for natural alignment of the coils over the air inlets.
Mine would be more similar to the magma, 2 posts (one would have to be press fit due the positive post not being central). Doing it in this manner would also mean that it is easy to modify for bottom feeding.

I have a few other ideas knocking around in my head for other parts of the design.

Are we any closer to finding a machinist to implement our ideas (or go into business with...)?

I'm not familiar with the magma but the velocity 2 post, 4 hole design seems ideal. Also makes quad coils a snap.

Reactions: DoubleEwe

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I'm not familiar with the magma but the velocity 2 post, 4 hole design seems ideal. Also makes quad coils a snap.

Yeah, that looks to be a good post design. It looks to also use the 'press fit' method for the positive post.
Personally I would prefer the posts to have less distance between them (around 6-7mm hole to hole), but I guess up to 10mm allows use of claptons and other space hungry builds.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Just saw the video of Immortalizer Plus RDA and it seems it should be a good flavor atty: .

Found it here for 45 $: Coval Vapes Immortalizer Plus RDA by Chief Vapors | Coval Vapes

I am sure it's been mentioned already (so forgive me for not having time to get caught up), but the airflow of the Immo+ still uses bottom airflow but it's diverted up the barrel and from the top. So you could use direct-to-coil airflow and have it leak-free as well. The IMMO+ is a not a 2015 design though, so it could be updated to have more airflow whilst still using the the same principles. Also similar to atties (though these are not direct-to-coil) like the Manta and the Aromamaizer.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
@Tom Forde - What's the word on that design you're working up? Pretty interested to see what you come up with.
Sorry bout the delay. I've been busy with work in my studio (music), and issues with a faulty Sapor rda that I just got replaced. I'll have something finished hopefully tomorrow because I have studio work to do today, then work at night in NYC, so I only have tomorrow off really.

jhhollier

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2014
Sorry bout the delay. I've been busy with work in my studio (music), and issues with a faulty Sapor rda that I just got replaced. I'll have something finished hopefully tomorrow because I have studio work to do today, then work at night in NYC, so I only have tomorrow off really.
Oh, no rush just was curious how things were coming along.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Oh, no rush just was curious how things were coming along.
I can't draw to spec, but working with a rough idea and using stencils to make sure the shapes are correct are coming along well. I have ideas for top, side, and bottom airflow so I want to sketch them all out. 2 post design is optimal, similar to the velocity, but only in the sense of the deck's 2 post 4 post hole design.

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
I am sure it's been mentioned already (so forgive me for not having time to get caught up), but the airflow of the Immo+ still uses bottom airflow but it's diverted up the barrel and from the top. So you could use direct-to-coil airflow and have it leak-free as well. The IMMO+ is a not a 2015 design though, so it could be updated to have more airflow whilst still using the the same principles. Also similar to atties (though these are not direct-to-coil) like the Manta and the Aromamaizer.
I don't have it but I used to have 2 immortalizers v1 when they came out, the flavor was amazing and it was leak free but gurgly if you dripped more than 4 drops ...

used to love them

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
For my :2c:, chamber size and airflow have the most to do with flavor enhancement
Your best flavor RDAs are 14 to 17mm diameter, most are single coil (c'ept Reactors & Nuppins)
The Chalice is prolly the most flavorful.

I also have to say, cloud chasing and flavor chasing are mutually exclusive efforts

Reactions: muzichead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread