Status
Not open for further replies.

Fazzazerin

Sep 3, 2009
I too am feeling a slight discomfort in my lungs with symptoms like temporary shorted breath, lasts about 4 to 5 minutes after vaping for about 5 minutes. Slight weezing what feels to me like Im breathing through insulation and again only lasts about 4 to 5 minutes. During those durations my lungs feel warmer as well.

I am very new to vaping so it could just be the new transition from analogs to a PV. I dont want it to come across as complaining either because I am very much enjoying the experience.

This will be my 4th day using my device and it seems the symptoms are dying out as the days pass, I assume this could also be from breaking in a new atty that i could of very well be inhaling the primer which cannot be good. The flavors also have come more alive and taste a little bit different from the first day.

I was vaping 24mg nic liquid now im down to 11mg so much better!

P4C0

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2009
Panama
Hello, I'm also having chest pains... the first one was on the center and left size of my chest , of course I freaked out right away and stopped vaping for a week (back to analogs), the pain was gone.

Then I tried it again, now the pain is on the right part of my chest, just below my nipple (or around it), if I stay for long without moving and then I move the pain gets a bit worst but just for a couple of seconds. I can breath deep without any variation of the pain, but when I try to exhale a lot it hurts a bit more (but just a bit). Also the pain seems to be right under my chest (I supposed that's a bit far away from my lung)

According to wikipedia (pleurisy): "The inflamed pleural layers rub against each other every time the lungs expand to breathe in air. This can cause sharp pain with breathing"

This is not my case, I have like a more or less constant pain and gets a bit worst (just a bit) when I move my torso from size to size or raise my hands (the right one).

I have only vaped PG, does anyone vaping VG has noticed chest pain? may this be related to PG allergy? (maybe a mild allergy or just the body getting used to)...

I have also noticed that with time the pain seems to fade away (or maybe I'm just getting used to it)....

I think it's not something directly related to the lungs, but with the surrounding (pleural cavity). Pleurisy seems like a good candidate for me... Anyways I'm not that worried about it at the moment, I can breath ok, deep and long, hold it, exhale, no problem. My blood pressure is ok, and it's not on the center or left part of my chest so my heart should be ok... (I hope)

Anyways, I'm not a doctor and this is pure speculation, the best thing to do is to see a doctor.

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
Anyways, I'm not a doctor and this is pure speculation, the best thing to do is to see a doctor.

Neither are most of us. If it concerns you or hurts enough to bother you, go see a doctor. There are probably hundreds of things it "might" be (vaping related or not). When I started vaping I kept having a deep pain in my jaw. Turns out it wasn't jaw cancer but instead muscular pain from the long deep draws I was taking.

A doctor once told me: "If you hear hooves in New York city, it's probably not a zebra."

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
Lets put our facts together... we know that PG is an irritant, and it also leaves a film. For those of us, me included, who vape like a steam train, im sure we do have a film that we must let our lungs filter out before we build more. As the old saying goes, moderation is key. If we want to vape constantly, maybe we should consider the consequences and just learn to put it down for a few, lol...easier said than done. Im not experiencing any chest pain, but the muscle tension is CERTAINLY a problem for me.. That said, lets all take a moment of "silence" and lay our PVs down for a few...We didnt smoke 24/7, right? ;)

On the other hand, PG is also in analogs, but not so much of it-just enough to keep the tobacco moist. Im sure if we smoked like we vape---we would have the same issues...just food for thought.:)

EDIT: Another idea is to time our vaping to 5-7min, the length of time an analog would normally last....rest it for at least 30-45min, then re-vape. If we treat our vaping as we did smoking, I wonder if we'd all feel alot better? Im going to start timing it now....gonna be hard tho, must admit,lol!

I don't think its the nicotine, people who use nicotine in other forms do not have this problem. I think its the liquid build up in the lungs.

Last edited:

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
I had pleuracy a few years back...if you had it...you'd have seen a dr by now. probably the most painful chest pain other than when I broke all 12 ribs on my right side. Everyone is different tho, just saying...

I wish everyone the best and hope its all non-related, minor issues at hand.

Hello, I'm also having chest pains... the first one was on the center and left size of my chest , of course I freaked out right away and stopped vaping for a week (back to analogs), the pain was gone.

Then I tried it again, now the pain is on the right part of my chest, just below my nipple (or around it), if I stay for long without moving and then I move the pain gets a bit worst but just for a couple of seconds. I can breath deep without any variation of the pain, but when I try to exhale a lot it hurts a bit more (but just a bit). Also the pain seems to be right under my chest (I supposed that's a bit far away from my lung)

According to wikipedia (pleurisy): "The inflamed pleural layers rub against each other every time the lungs expand to breathe in air. This can cause sharp pain with breathing"

This is not my case, I have like a more or less constant pain and gets a bit worst (just a bit) when I move my torso from size to size or raise my hands (the right one).

I have only vaped PG, does anyone vaping VG has noticed chest pain? may this be related to PG allergy? (maybe a mild allergy or just the body getting used to)...

I have also noticed that with time the pain seems to fade away (or maybe I'm just getting used to it)....

I think it's not something directly related to the lungs, but with the surrounding (pleural cavity). Pleurisy seems like a good candidate for me... Anyways I'm not that worried about it at the moment, I can breath ok, deep and long, hold it, exhale, no problem. My blood pressure is ok, and it's not on the center or left part of my chest so my heart should be ok... (I hope)

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
Lets put our facts together... we know that PG is an irritant, and it also leaves a film. For those of us, me included, who vape like a steam train, im sure we do have a film that we must let our lungs filter out before we build more. As the old saying goes, moderation is key. If we want to vape constantly, maybe we should consider the consequences and just learn to put it down for a few, lol...easier said than done. Im not experiencing any chest pain, but the muscle tension is CERTAINLY a problem for me.. That said, lets all take a moment of "silence" and lay our PVs down for a few...We didnt smoke 24/7, right? ;)
It's been established through studies that PG is not bio-cumlative.

On the other hand, PG is also in analogs, but not so much of it-just enough to keep the tobacco moist. Im sure if we smoked like we vape---we would have the same issues...just food for thought.:)
PG is in tobacco to keep it moist but more often DEG is used.

Luv2CUSmile

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NC
Been scanning over on this board because I am new to this- My e-cig just came in today and after being a pack or more a day smoker for the last 20 years- I am so psyched about turning to vaping- My intention is to decrease nicotine intake gradually til I am off and w/ the familiar delievery method (which I believe is my main habit more so than nicotine, but that's me)
Anyway, first experience today w/ it- It came w/ med & High liquid- I tried medium and I am not sure if it is because I was being tentative due to not knowing what to expect or what- But I got tightness in my chest- not a HURT but not comfortable at all-
I was wondering, the strength of nicotine? the flavor? (DK-TAB) It is better than I thought it would be but not something I could vape all the time. or the PG in the liquid?
or again, just chalk it up to nervousness...
My husband who has had a heart attack, has a stent, takes constant meds and has been in the hospital on numerous occassions was fine- He is so excited about vaping-
I just wanted to post my experience here- I will be asking the doctor about it, I also have some non PG liquid coming in much lower strengths as well as 0 mg strength so I can check it out and see if any of those factors had anything to do with it-
This thing is a pretty good unit though- vape, flavor production, etc- I will be doing a review soon- just getting them fully charged now so I can experiement-
Oh! after a couple times dragging (not in succession) the pressure did lessen- I, of course, was then a little worried/unsure at that point though- so being a little careful right now until I get some answers-
Anyone else who experienced this their first time ever vaping and has seen a difference since? This post has been great though, helping me to figure what it could be versus a heart problem-
Oh! I was also diagnosed with pleuracy when I was young, It took me out of track and basketball- I was so mad- But yeah- worse chest pain ever (since I have never had a heart attack to compare, but I bet it is right up there with it)-

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I know a lot of users have complained about acid reflux. There is a side effect of acid reflux called GERD. I have experienced GERD attacks both before and after taking up e-cigs. It is a very disturbing condition as it has the same symptoms as a heart blockage. Believe me I know as I have had both. You shouldn't attempt to diagnose this condition yourself. Only a doctor can make this diagnoses. Nicotine juice has been known to make acid reflux worse. Sometimes GERD attacks begin with the person not having acid reflux symptoms. I have had this happen to me. Sometimes I have had acid reflux with a gastric ulcer and didn't know I had it. Some people have no symptoms until the full blown GERD hits them.

In my case, e-cigs are not the primary cause of acid reflux. The e-cig is acting as a catalyst that enhances the effects of the disease. Again you should see a doctor for a proper diagnosis.

Kevin

Luv2CUSmile

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NC
Thx Kevin,

I hadn't thought about that but will also keep that in mind when I see the doctor- Just to make him aware of what I am doing and no matter what he feels about it, I can get my health monitored not just by myself but w/ him doing a constant checkin up on me w/ different symptoms or whatever- My husband is doing the same- At least then we don't turn into hypochondriacs- Every time I get sick or feel bad I will first throw it off on e-cigs... that won't be good- I am also keeping a journal right now- again more to track our ability to decrease our nicotine as well as keeping track of flavors we like, rate of vaping versus analogs, etc- I really appreciate the heads up on GERD though!

afihigh019

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
San Francisco
I've been vaping about a week now, loving it, coughing up plenty of good ol' nastiness in the mornings. I do keep it close by/in my hand pretty much all hours of the waking day. I vape constantly, but it's different than when I smoked analogs; I will take one or two good vapes from my 510, and will be satisfied for 10-30 min or so, and continue this ritual pretty much all day long. Compared to a cigarette, (which we all know), I puff and puff and puff until the entire death stick has passed through my poor lungs.

Just today I started noticing a slight discomfort in my chest as well. I only notice it when I take a deep breath in and pay close attention, a sort of tightness towards the front of my chest.

This is my first real attempt at quitting analogs, been a 1PPD smoker for about 4 years. Do any of you more experienced vapers/quitters know this just to be a side effect of quitting the tobacco? Sure hope so

Philip

Katin

Moved On
Aug 29, 2009
Boston
  • Deleted by PTJD
  • Reason: Disruptive posts.

TheUltimateG

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Colorado
Stop vaping NOW!

I am recovering from one week of the most intense chest pains of my life. I have called all of the friends I recommended e-cigs to and warned them to stop vaping immediately. This vaping is extremely dangerous and people here should discontinue all use of these products.............
I don't see any information in your post regarding a visit to your doctor. Why is that? For more than a week you suffered these symptoms yet never sought out the advice of a physician? 3 Days of this and i would have been on my way to to the hospital for an evaluation.

Luv2CUSmile

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NC
Katin,
I admit, this method of nicotine is not for everyone- But there are many here that have vaped much longer than 10 days at your age, older and, yes, also younger- and they are still vaping w/ success-
As G mentioned, have you gone to a doctor or did you just talk to your chemist friend? I have posted many concerns on these boards and spoke over them with my husband and Mom, BUT, I will let a doctor give me the diagnosis- My husband, mom, & I can suppose for days and it will do no good... I can read millions of posts mentioning same symptoms w/ just as many people having different reactions... A doctor can only tell you what is really going on! Get a visit to your physician and hope there is a way you can still vape.. I am assuming you went back to analogs...? Hopefully not, but don't you think that if you are getting chest pains now, after 10 days of vaping (BTW, when you first picked up an analog cig, did it not make your throat and/or chest hurt?) I remember it di me- I can't believe I kept at it to get past that "gag" so I could finally smoke w/o feeling so bad! We have all made bad decisions in our lives- I don't think this is one of them for me. Wish you the best of luck!

Katin

Moved On
Aug 29, 2009
Boston
  • Deleted by PTJD

Katin

Moved On
Aug 29, 2009
Boston
  • Deleted by PTJD

Jules22871

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2009
Wow, thank you. I have always had low blood pressure and since starting the vaping I get periods almost every day that feel as if my blood pressure is really dropping. Do you think vaping could possibly lower the blood pressure too? Is that what you're saying? If so, I can't now because DH and I are going away soon, but if you think this is a possibility and it continues with me, maybe I should check on it. I get REALLY shaky and have to make a run to the chips (salt) seems to help.

Anyone taking high blood pressure meds should see their doctor esp if they are feeling odd, I know a close friend of mines blood pressure dropped significatly when she stopped smoking, and went to vaping.

I am the friend that had the blood pressure drop. Before I started vaping my BP was 230/110 and my heart rate was 130 while resting, and I was on some pretty strong medication for it. I have since had the dosage reduced and my BP and heart rate are all in the normal range now. If you have low BP, keep an eye on it as you may see it drop some more since you are not getting all the toxins that analogs have in them.

I know a lot of users have complained about acid reflux. There is a side effect of acid reflux called GERD. I have experienced GERD attacks both before and after taking up e-cigs. It is a very disturbing condition as it has the same symptoms as a heart blockage. Believe me I know as I have had both. You shouldn't attempt to diagnose this condition yourself. Only a doctor can make this diagnoses. Nicotine juice has been known to make acid reflux worse. Sometimes GERD attacks begin with the person not having acid reflux symptoms. I have had this happen to me. Sometimes I have had acid reflux with a gastric ulcer and didn't know I had it. Some people have no symptoms until the full blown GERD hits them.

In my case, e-cigs are not the primary cause of acid reflux. The e-cig is acting as a catalyst that enhances the effects of the disease. Again you should see a doctor for a proper diagnosis.

Kevin

GERDS is a definite possibility. Something else I have not seen mentioned is a hiatal hernia. That is a tear where your esophagus meets your stomach. It can cause gas to be released into your chest cavity and cause terrible and very scary chest pain. I have had one for years and have learned the difference in pain from the hernia and pain from my heart. I did notice when I first started vaping that I had an increase in the hernia type chest pain. I figured out that I was taking in more air when I vaped then I did when I smoked. I changed the way I vape and the problem is gone now. Anyone that has thrown up violently or had a horrific cough can have a hiatal hernia and not even know it. The pain can be just about anywhere, right side, left side, front of the chest, in your back. It can really make you think you are having a heart attack. If you think this might be it, open a fresh can of Coke, take a big drink and make yourself burp. If you feel relief, then you'll know it wasn't the ecig.

YoMike

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2009
Maui HI
Katin your Join Date is 08-29-2009
Your first post ever was today 10-9-2009
42 days elapsed before your first post that states,

"I am 51 years old and have been smoking for a long time."
Usually a real smoker states amount and total years, 1-2 packs for 20 years.

"I was vaping for only about 10 days before the first symptoms began to occur."
10 days vaping add a week for recovery = 17 days Been a member for 42 days?

You really spent a lot of time putting that post together with certain words emphasis, was that to be more convincing, I mean if it was true why worry about convincing anyone.

If I was admin of this board I'd run your ip address find out your provider and see your real location and maybe even view your house from google maps.
Maybe nothing but one never knows this is the internet I've seen some crazy stuff.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
It's a shame that Katin's posts were deleted. It would have been nice to seen their content and properly debunk them.

Keep in mind folks, if you were a long-time smoker, a lot of side effects will occur as your lungs heal from the years of exposure to toxic tobacco smoke. It's easy to confuse classic symptoms of smoking cessation with the PVs. Remember that you are quitting smoking as well as starting vaping.

Here is a link to common symptoms of smoking cessation: Common Withdrawal Symptoms After You Quit Smoking - QuitSmokingSupport.com

They include:
Constipation, gas, stomach pain
Constipation is caused by intestinal movement decreases for a brief period. It will normally last for several weeks.
Drink plenty of liquids (6-8 glasses of water daily); add roughage to diet (fruits, vegetables, whole grain cereals, bran); go for walks.

Cough, dry throat/mouth, nasal drip
This is caused from your body getting rid of mucous which has blocked airways and restricted breathing. Drink plenty of fluids; drink cold water, fruit juice, tea; use cough drops, gum or hard candy.

Dizziness
Your body is getting extra oxygen like it hasn't seen for a long time. Get fresh air, go for a walk, change positions slowly. It will last several days and will go away.

Headaches
Take a warm bath or shower. Try relaxation or meditation techniques. Do more physical activities. Cut down on coffee and cola drinks.

Tightness in the chest
It is probably due to tension created by the body’s need for nicotine; may be caused by sore muscles from coughing. Part of the recovery process may be the lung’s attempt to remove mucus and tar. The normal mucus transport system will start to reactivate itself, which can initially cause coughing. It will last a few days. Deep breathing and relaxation techniques. Be patient; wait it out! Your body wants to return to normal.

June

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2009
California
Just my 2 cents...

I went to the emergency room about a month prior to vaping with chest and stomach pains. Because of the chest pain I thought it was a heart problem. After checking my heart and it was fine, they gave ma a GI cocktail, lidocaine and some other medication in a drink. Felt better pretty quickly. The pain was caused by acid reflux. I had been told previously that I had some mild acid reflux, but never gave it too too much thought. Now that it has gotten worse, I give it some thought.

All chest pain should be checked out, but if you are seen by a Dr. and everything checks out ok, heart and lungs, try the stomach medications. If the chest pain subsides after taking the medication acid reflux could be the cause.

Acid reflux is another good reason to give up smoking. Smoking worsens acid reflux.

I also have had some tightness in my chest and stomach issues since I started vaping, and it does seem to be related to the higher nicotine liquids, 24 mg, but I do feel better after taking some acid reducing stomach medication.

Nicotina

Oct 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I vape the same way I smoke hookah--I take a big mouthful of vapor then slowly exhale it through my nose instead of drawing it into my lungs. The nicotine is absorbed through my mucous membranes pretty quickly, and the flavor is amazing. I've only been vaping for about 2 weeks, but I haven't experienced any chest pains so far, so maybe some of you might want to try this method and see if it makes a difference.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I experienced some lung discomfort when vaping PG juices, similar to smoking too many analogs. Now I am using VG as much as possible, and the problem is gone, as are the other little symptoms I had, such as sniffles and headache. Of course those could have been analog withdrawal too.

Seems we had a troll in our midst. Seemed to be the typical pattern:

Wait a long time before posting.
Claim some unlikely but severe reaction to vaping.
Become adversarial.
Watch the fireworks.
Vanish.

Ta ta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread