Clash Of The Titans: Zmax or ProVari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmartyr72

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2011
IN
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I have weighed everything carefully and compared just about every aspect between the two devices (not to mention sitting for hours upon hours reading and going through reviews, driving my gf nuts, etc haha) and I made my decision last night - I decided to go with the Zmax for now, and here's why.

I wasn't really sure where I could find the best deal on a Zmax as I was torn between a few sites. Once I seen that Madvapes had just started carrying the stainless steel version Smoktech Zmax Variable Volt APV with added vent holes for $129.99 (SS device with 2 18650 batteries and a charger came to $153), it made my decision a little easier. Just know, I gave serious thought about the ProVari, but once I went back and made a list of the essentials I would need to go along with it, I was looking at around $225+ (I seen that in order to use the bigger batteries I would need to also purchase the extension cap for an additional $20 which I thought was a little crazy). All in all, It just kept getting further and further out of my price range. I think the biggest deciding factors for me on the Zmax was the raw power and VW (and price). Will VW be the game changer for me? Don't know... but I can't wait to find out! I should have it somewhere around Tues or Wed.

So when it's all said and done, I end up with a BMW and not a Mercedes. I'm pretty good with that. Will my Zmax tear up in a month or two? Not sure. Will it perform just as well if not better than a ProVari? Maybe. Will alien's invade Earth tomorrow? Got me. Just like with anything else we buy, there are chances we take. Who know's, maybe in a year from now I'll still be reading through these forums sucking away on my Zmax, or maybe in a few months I'll be reading through the I-told-ya-so's lol! The ProVari will always be within arms length for me - just not right now. ;-)

Last edited:

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I still don't understand why there is even a thought of a comparison when the new unit has only been available for a month now!!!! The reviews seem to be getting worse by the day.... I think ST should've done a little more research and development on their products, but it seems their customer base doesn't mind spending $100 bucks a crack every 4-6 months for something new.... I wouldn't be surprised if a V2 or Rev2, 3, or 4 hits the market in the next month or so.... To each their own....

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I still don't understand why there is even a thought of a comparison when the new unit has only been available for a month now!!!! The reviews seem to be getting worse by the day.... I think ST should've done a little more research and development on their products, but it seems their customer base doesn't mind spending $100 bucks a crack every 4-6 months for something new.... I wouldn't be surprised if a V2 or Rev2, 3, or 4 hits the market in the next month or so.... To each their own....

The way I see it, he's new and hasn't been burned or disappointed yet by the APV's in that intermediate price range. Hasn't seen the newer competition blast on the scene and then fade away until the next powerhouse is offered up. Until that happens, perhaps one can't appreciate what has been consistantly proven over time. And some people never get past that initial financial breaking point.

He said the final analysis was raw power and vw (and likely mostly the price). The z-max may very well be exactly what he is looking for. I hope he enjoys his new mod. Whatever keeps him off the stinkies is the bottom line.

A17kawboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2012
Northern BC, Canada
Guys,dont throw a tantrum because he went for the Vmax :laugh:

Its half the price after all and it doesnt mean he wont go for a provari one day,you knw,the day that Provape will update their software?

He decided on the Zmax.

Good luck with that. Hope it works out well for you.

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Better this way,you`d realize that for less than a 18650 Provari,you can get Nivel chip 18650 APV kit (basically the same thing except VV and VW) from our Russian friends :laugh:

Ah wth...spy pics included:

From left to right: Nivel chiped Svoemesto 2.0+Tank Kayfun IIIES--Provari+Tank Kayfun IIIES--Nivel chiped Svoemesto 3.0 prototype in stainless+Tank Kayfun IIIES

Last edited:

VapDrak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2012
Ecuador
Better this way,you`d realize that for less than a 18650 Provari,you can get Nivel chip 18650 APV kit (basically the same thing except VV and VW) from our Russian friends :laugh:

Ah wth...spy pics included:

From left to right: Nivel chiped Svoemesto 2.0+Tank Kayfun IIIES--Provari+Tank Kayfun IIIES--Nivel chiped Svoemesto 3.0 prototype in stainless+Tank Kayfun IIIES

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Ok now that we are all seriously jealous, why don't you give us a quick Svoemesto/Provari showdown???

madmartyr72

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2011
IN
Wow, I had no idea that ProVari owners were so...fanatical. If I would have known, I probably wouldn't have even started this thread. I apologize. :(

I have been vaping now for a year and a half, and in that time I have tried MANY different PV's. Like most of us, some have worked, some not so well, but I endured and kept on. Right now I have so many different batteries lying around my house I could generate my very own electromagnetic force field lol! My gf has never smoked - even though exceptionally understanding and proud of me, thinks I am quite silly for having to have so many different devices. Up until now, the prices on my PV's have been very minimal, so when I discussed spending $200+ on just ONE device, she thought I had lost my damn mind! I knew that no amount of trying to explain the differences in craftsmanship, or electronics, or proven reliability, or anything for that matter, would or could justify the cost in her eyes because it is all greek to her. Hell, I even had to pull out all the tricks in my bag (wine n dine, puppy dog eyes, early xmas present, etc) just to keep her from having a stroke when I spent the $130 for the Zmax, and to be honest, even I felt a little apprehensive about spending that much on a PV for the first time.

Up until now, the only VV device I own is the eGo Twist and I have loved it. Even though I love the Twist, there are people on these forums that are quick to tell other's they suck and then proceed to break out the spec charts to explain why. The same goes for everything. Believe it or not; and I know this may be completely unfathomable to some, but there are people on these forums that don't like the *gasp* ProVari for whatever reasons. Before I narrowed it down to either the Zmax or ProVari (mind you, before I even posted this thread asking for opinions between the two, I had already knew that the ProVari was going to probably be out of my price range for now, but I still wanted to read other's thoughts on the matter), I had also looked into other devices (the LT, a kicked SB, the Omega, the iTaste, etc etc) and even though a whole slew of VV devices were more in my price range, I ultimately decided to splurge a little more and get something I felt would give me what I have missed and wanted since the day I bought my first tobacco store POS ecig.

Have I made a mistake? Maybe. If I did make a mistake in buying the Zmax, will I learn from it? Absolutely! The greatest lessons in life are taught through mistakes and I can't help but wonder just how many other's that will read this post had made some mistakes when they first started out in the world of mods before they finally found their 'holy grail'? Only time will tell I guess and I really hope that my purchase will be a good one for me. If not, I'm sure it won't be the last time I make a mistake...

Last edited:

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
heh,no worries...

Your best justifying bit should be money that would have been spent on analogs vs money spent on whatever you lust for,never fails :)

The Zmax can always be sold!

Bottom line is we could all have a great vape with a Twist...we just devolve and forget what is the purpose...then we get attracted to shiney stuff with buttons and displays...hard to get apparels that make us feel special when we finally get one and flash it all over the net :laugh:

Trying to impose our personnal choices to others is part of that devolving too,but what can we do,this is the intertubes!

Your next step: better atties.

That is where the fun begins.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Wow, I had no idea that ProVari owners were so...fanatical. If I would have known, I probably wouldn't have even started this thread. I apologize. :(

I have been vaping now for a year and a half, and in that time I have tried MANY different PV's. Like most of us, some have worked, some not so well, but I endured and kept on. Right now I have so many different batteries lying around my house I could generate my very own electromagnetic force field lol! My gf has never smoked - even though exceptionally understanding and proud of me, thinks I am quite silly for having to have so many different devices. Up until now, the prices on my PV's have been very minimal, so when I discussed spending $200+ on just ONE device, she thought I had lost my damn mind! I knew that no amount of trying to explain the differences in craftsmanship, or electronics, or proven reliability, or anything for that matter, would or could justify the cost in her eyes because it is all greek to her. Hell, I even had to pull out all the tricks in my bag (wine n dine, puppy dog eyes, early xmas present, etc) just to keep her from having a stroke when I spent the $130 for the Zmax, and to be honest, even I felt a little apprehensive about spending that much on a PV for the first time.

Up until now, the only VV device I own is the eGo Twist and I have loved it. Even though I love the Twist, there are people on these forums that are quick to tell other's they suck and then proceed to break out the spec charts to explain why. The same goes for everything. Believe it or not; and I know this may be completely unfathomable to some, but there are people on these forums that don't like the *gasp* ProVari for whatever reasons. Before I narrowed it down to either the Zmax or ProVari (mind you, before I even posted this thread asking for opinions between the two, I had already knew that the ProVari was going to probably be out of my price range for now, but I still wanted to read other's thoughts on the matter), I had also looked into other devices (the LT, a kicked SB, the Omega, the iTaste, etc etc) and even though a whole slew of VV devices were more in my price range, I ultimately decided to splurge a little more and get something I felt would give me what I have missed and wanted since the day I bought my first tobacco store POS ecig.

Have I made a mistake? Maybe. If I did make a mistake in buying the Zmax, will I learn from it? Absolutely! The greatest lessons in life are taught through mistakes and I can't help but wonder just how many other's that will read this post had made some mistakes when they first started out in the world of mods before they finally found their 'holy grail'? Only time will tell I guess and I really hope that my purchase will be a good one for me. If not, I'm sure it won't be the last time I make a mistake...

This is one of the reasons I tend to not post as much as I used to.

This point cannot be made strongly enough: When I started vaping it was about getting things that didn't work, to work. These days it's about getting things that work fine, and bragging that the one you have is best. Back then you could buy one of everything and hold a valid opinion, without being a millionaire. Today... maybe a person could own 10% of what is available and formulate an opinion based on use.

It's certainly appropriate to have conversations about the pros and cons of certain devices. But by and large this stuff all works.

gimmieshelter31

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Baltimore,MD
madmartyr72,

Yes some ProVari owners are a bit fanatical . Some are emphatic in their assumption that they have found the Holy Grail and there could be no other device that could allow a satisfying vaping experience . Others are just happy with their purchase and want to share their experience with others who ask for opinions. Having said that , as a ProVari owner ,I am EXTREMELY satisfied with it and do think every vaper should try to obtain one for their arsenal eventually.Yes, they are pricey, that cannot be denied. A ProVari is also a quality device that has proven itself over time.

I would like to congratulate you on your ZMax purchase and not in anyway try to take away any excitement you may be feeling as you await delivery. It is fun to upgrade and I feel that you have done just that. I do ask that after owning your new fog machine for a time, perhaps you can return to this thread and offer periodic updates on your satisfaction level with it so that others on a budget can also make an informed decision . After all helping others get a heightened vaping experience is what this forum should be about.

(Rant)Don't ever feel you have to justify your buying decisions to anyone here. Though, to be fair , you did ask. I just think once you have made that decision, any comments that could be perceived as being as condescending should cease. (End Rant)

Again , congratulations and happy vaping.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
No tantrums or fanboyism happening here. I for one am glad you, (madmartyr72), found something you liked and wish you a very good vaping experience....

I was just pointing out that it was a little too early, (in my opinion), to even think of making a comparison between the ZMax and the Provari.... The same comparison type thread started when the VMax first came out and everyone thought it was the next best thing on the market.... If they would have waited say, (3-4 months), in making such a comparison they would have gotten some better feedback on the device and a lot of people could have made a better educated decision as to which device to go with. At that point a lot of people would have know about all the failures that were happening with the VMax and instead of wasting the money to buy 2 different versions and 3 or 4 revisions, they would have just saved their money and went with a tried and true quality device!!! I do think it was a very good marketing move by ST though. Put out a low priced sub par quality unit and the public will flock to it mainly because of price...... Excellent marketing move..... At least everyone is finding out sooner with the ZMax it is not all that was advertised to be.....

digunderground

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2012
Vaparadise
I have a zMax, it works great and has since day one... I have a ProVari, it works great and has since day one... I have a GGTS and it... you get the point...

Look, my zMax isn't built as well as my ProVari but its close(provari has a thicker tube, button is military grade, better battery cap threads, etc etc), but my zMax functions just as well and has VW to boot.

Ill completely agree that every arsenal is better with a provari, but I can also tell you for sure my ProVari rarely sees the light of day. It's a funny thought process... the provari is built better etc etc.. but yet I dont want to scratch, dent, lose, or break my $200 mod.. but I'm not the least bit concerned taking my zMax anywhere.. I beat my zMax like it owes me money, it keeps on working great. I'm not saying my provari wouldn't take it, it would probably take even more abuse, but I simply don't want to risk any damage to my nicer mods. (same with my GGTS, I have a Cube I take out, ggts stays in my house always)

To say the zMax doesn't live up to the expectation is donkey poo, its a great PV for a great price that performs extremely well. I have found a lot of the pro reviews must have been with an early model, my zmax holds my settings when I switch batteries, the button is very well fit and doesnt rattle, battery life is excellent. IMHO, great decision to get the zmax, if you end up loving larger vv / vw PVs you can always add a provari to the collection.. just my 2C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread