Status
Not open for further replies.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Just to jump in here, I respectfully disagree. The zmax does not deliver to expectations based on what I've read. The reason I say this is that I'm not a high wattage vaper, so I could not throw on my LR stuff and vape comfortably in the 5 watt area that I like. My expectations based on specs are that I could...

Yup... That's the *only* dig I have against the new crop of PWM mods:

1. Voltage/wattage display accuracy.

2. Inability to function at low watt levels.

They'll fix it I'm sure at some point.

madmartyr72

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2011
IN
With all due respect madmartyr, you did ask for honest opinions. Not sure why it's a problem when you get them.

Allow me to clarify. Your right, I did ask for honest opinions about the Zmax and the ProVari, and I thank everyone who gave them. What I failed to emphasize in my original post was that I was already leaning more towards the Zmax and only because of the price and VW option. Even though I went with the Zmax this time around, I have no doubt in my mind that I will one day have a ProVari (it's my new #1 on Christmas lists, birthday's, etc lol), so it was still good to get some opinions from people who own and love them. In retrospect, this thread SHOULD have just been to get opinions on the Zmax, but hey - I'm human and I couldn't delete the thread after it was posted. I made a mistake (another?!). :D

madmartyr72,

Yes some ProVari owners are a bit fanatical . Some are emphatic in their assumption that they have found the Holy Grail and there could be no other device that could allow a satisfying vaping experience . Others are just happy with their purchase and want to share their experience with others who ask for opinions. Having said that , as a ProVari owner ,I am EXTREMELY satisfied with it and do think every vaper should try to obtain one for their arsenal eventually.Yes, they are pricey, that cannot be denied. A ProVari is also a quality device that has proven itself over time.

I would like to congratulate you on your ZMax purchase and not in anyway try to take away any excitement you may be feeling as you await delivery. It is fun to upgrade and I feel that you have done just that. I do ask that after owning your new fog machine for a time, perhaps you can return to this thread and offer periodic updates on your satisfaction level with it so that others on a budget can also make an informed decision . After all helping others get a heightened vaping experience is what this forum should be about.

(Rant)Don't ever feel you have to justify your buying decisions to anyone here. Though, to be fair , you did ask. I just think once you have made that decision, any comments that could be perceived as being as condescending should cease. (End Rant)

Again , congratulations and happy vaping.

Thank you. :)

Trust me, after I have had my Zmax for a nice spell, I will sit down and write a nice and honest, non-biased in-depth review of it for everyone (whether I like it or not). I didn't feel like I really needed to justify my purchase, just that I felt like I at least owed an explanation as to why I didn't sail the 'ProVari River', but instead navigated down the 'Straits of Zmax' (or maybe 'The Zmax Rapids', depending on how my experience goes lol). Like my metaphor's? Hmm, hmmmm??? :p

I have a zMax, it works great and has since day one... I have a ProVari, it works great and has since day one... I have a GGTS and it... you get the point...

Look, my zMax isn't built as well as my ProVari but its close(provari has a thicker tube, button is military grade, better battery cap threads, etc etc), but my zMax functions just as well and has VW to boot.

Ill completely agree that every arsenal is better with a provari, but I can also tell you for sure my ProVari rarely sees the light of day. It's a funny thought process... the provari is built better etc etc.. but yet I dont want to scratch, dent, lose, or break my $200 mod.. but I'm not the least bit concerned taking my zMax anywhere.. I beat my zMax like it owes me money, it keeps on working great. I'm not saying my provari wouldn't take it, it would probably take even more abuse, but I simply don't want to risk any damage to my nicer mods. (same with my GGTS, I have a Cube I take out, ggts stays in my house always)

To say the zMax doesn't live up to the expectation is donkey poo, its a great PV for a great price that performs extremely well. I have found a lot of the pro reviews must have been with an early model, my zmax holds my settings when I switch batteries, the button is very well fit and doesnt rattle, battery life is excellent. IMHO, great decision to get the zmax, if you end up loving larger vv / vw PVs you can always add a provari to the collection.. just my 2C

Thanks, and the ProVari is definitely in my future! It was just shipped this morning so I should have it Weds. Can't wait!

madmartyr72

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2011
IN
Ok so, I just got my Zmax in the mail about an hour ago. After fiddling around with it for a bit, I screwed on a 2.4ohms ViVi Nova, set it at 6w and took a hit. And another hit...and another...and another. After just four hits it had felt like I had just chain smoked two real cigs back to back and I kid you not (granted the juice was 24mg)! I actually got a nicotine buzz lol! Been a loooooong time since I have felt that.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my first experience with such a powerful vape (and maybe even make a few of you laugh :laugh:). All I can say right now is 'Wow!' and hopefully I'll be saying that many months from now still. Very happy atm.

Next stop...ProVari-ville! :vapor:

MikeA5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Methuen, MA
Now don't over do it! LOL
Glad your enjoying your new APV. I own a Zmax to and I also enjoy it. It's very versatile. I recently tried a Ego-T (A) atamizer on the Zmax that I had purchased in March of 2011 and had hardly used because it didn't perform well with the Ego battery that came with it. On the Zmax I adjust the power to my taste and now the Ego-T atomizer is marvelous.

VapDrak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2012
Ecuador
Ok so, I just got my Zmax in the mail about an hour ago. After fiddling around with it for a bit, I screwed on a 2.4ohms ViVi Nova, set it at 6w and took a hit. And another hit...and another...and another. After just four hits it had felt like I had just chain smoked two real cigs back to back and I kid you not (granted the juice was 24mg)! I actually got a nicotine buzz lol! Been a loooooong time since I have felt that.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my first experience with such a powerful vape (and maybe even make a few of you laugh :laugh:). All I can say right now is 'Wow!' and hopefully I'll be saying that many months from now still. Very happy atm.

I'm really happy for you!!!
Have fun :vapor:

Also own provaris and now a zmax...bottom line feels strong, great vape and VW is also fun to play with..darwin who??? Zmax has the VW now, at first i felt like i was a trader buying and liking the zmax but it has been my go to daily vape, i still dust off the provaris before i leave for work....zmax 2 weeks in is great, will it last? I hope so!!

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
First, let me state that the ProVari is a wonderful APV. I'm not a fantatical ProVari fanboi (far from it), but I do recognize and appreciate quality when I see/feel/experience it, and the voltage accuracy, build quality, and eternal repairability of the ProVari are all sterling qualities.

That said, I've had a Vmax V2 for months now, purchased in one of the earliest co-op group orders. What I don't like about it are three things: 1. the display voltage miscalibration---it runs so 'hot' that using LR atties/cartos on it is effectively out of the question. 2. the rounded bottom cap---the damned Vmax falls over if you so much as look at it cross-eyed. Bad design. 3. the battery-swap ritual of having to mess with the menu for five minutes to restore all the settings. That's just plain dumb.

What I like about the Zmax (I just ordered one of the new Madvapes red Acrylimax VV/VW clones for $71.99 shipped with the 10% off coupon LOVETOVAPE) is that the power regulation provides an easy workaround for the voltage miscalibration. Just set the wattage lower. Want 10 watts of heat? Set the Zmax to 7.5 watts. Want 8 watts of heat? Just set it to 6 watts. Nice. More adjustable than a Kick, plus it uses any flat-top 18650---IMR or ICR---and I've got a whole bunch of those.

Last edited:

dingo1799

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2012
IL
im a new owner of a 2nd hand provari far from a "fanboy", it just showed up an hour ago, i took the vivi nova tank off my 5 month old apollo v-tube and stuck it on the provari, and it was like a completely different setup. i could TASTE the difference, set at exactly the same settings (whether 3.9v on the v-tube is actually 3.9v who knows, who cares? not me) the provari has 1 button interface, most other vv devices have 3-4-5. if you've never held a provari, you'll get somewhat of an idea as soon as you pick it up. its beefy. like you could use it to knock someone the F out in a fight throwing it at them. that tells me its well built.

if someone wants to test the durability of a provari, put up a kitty for donating to buy me a replacement provari n vivi nova and i'll test mine under the tires of a 40,000 lb bus lol i doubt it'd hurt the provari beside scratch it up, but i'd imagine the vivi nova would be a total loss

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
if someone wants to test the durability of a provari, put up a kitty for donating to buy me a replacement provari n vivi nova and i'll test mine under the tires of a 40,000 lb bus lol i doubt it'd hurt the provari beside scratch it up, but i'd imagine the vivi nova would be a total loss

hehe actually that has already been done :eek: semi mechanic left it sitting on the tire of a tractor and forgot about it,,
tractor took off and drove over it,popped the top cap off and warped the shape a little,but he was able to put it back together and keep vaping !! his carto\tank is a different story though

Billy Baroo

Verified Member
Sep 19, 2012
DC
I got both... I like both.

I don't use the rebuildable atty's - generally just Vivi novas and mini's.

Zmax once you have your wattage set is dummy proof. Anything that is 2.4ohm and above is fantastic.

Provari - I thought the Zmax felt good but the Provari just feels right. Great unit. Would be a perfect unit with VW. I just like finding your sweet spot with wattage and not mucking around whenever you swap out tanks.

I also splurged and got a acrlimax max - works just fine. It is my - if it breaks, so be it PV. I am so used to the extra juice that twists just don't cut it anymore.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
The Zmax V2 now has an 8th menu setting which allows you to use it at accurate voltage settings so at 3volts it's actually 3 volts and so on.

I'd still go with the Provari for reliability sakes but the Zmax v2 is now a really viable option imo.

The V2 Provari increased the amp limit because of customer request, the up grade from V1 is 20$ There is no up grade from the inaccurate to the possibly more accurate Zmax. The Zmax is over priced for its performance. Its gets an A for durability. In all other categories it fails miserably! Bad comparison Id say a Lavatube would be better suited for comparing to.

robtest

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2012
atlanta, ga metro area

Now that you have had it a few weeks, how do you feel about the ZMAX ??? :confused:

patch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
nyc
The Zmax V2 now has an 8th menu setting which allows you to use it at accurate voltage settings so at 3volts it's actually 3 volts and so on.

I'd still go with the Provari for reliability sakes but the Zmax v2 is now a really viable option imo.

they really put another menu setting for accurate voltages? weird!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread