Cleaning atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcr

ECF Veteran
Clarification: While I appreciate anyone's tips about cleaning, please don't use this thread to advertise for other vendors--you are in a vendor's forum right now and it is bad form to tout another's products here. Thanks, Kate

I apologize that I cannot remember who said they did this, so I can't ask them--so I will ask generally:)

When atomizers start giving less vapor (or stop completely) I have always--since I started vaping--dropped them to soak in mouthwash for a day or two, blown the mouthwash through the battery end a few times, then rinsed in hot water and blown them out again before leaving to dry for a day or two. I think I got this from a Vapor Guys (may they RIP) video or tips page, and it has (almost) worked unfailingly. In fact, most "dead" atomizers I have had have been resurrected at least once using this method.

The drawback is that the coating shrivels up and peels off, leaving a sad, naked stainless steel atomizer that gets pretty darned hot.

I go through atomizers pretty fast, apparently. Maybe because I tend to load the liquid up with glycerine? Not sure.

Anyway, I was wondering if/how others cleaned their atomizers (and if their methods also stripped off the color coating)? Any tips and tricks to extend atomizer life is also appreciated.

I am right now vaping on the first ss atomizer I tried. I love it dearly and want to keep it around for a while, even though I think I have a comfortable stash of them secreted in a safe place:laugh:

Last edited:

uba egar320

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
WV
Atomizers have always been so tough and go for me. I just blow mine out when performance lags. If they give me more trouble I toss them. I know I could have probably saved some of them, but when I want a vape I want it right now! Every once on a while I get an atty that last for over a month or so, and hits like it's brand new. I try and baby these because the next one will probably suck lol. My favorite atty's as of now come from Puresmoker, and esmokey treats. But like I said, it's touch and go. Some of theirs have been just as bad as crappy ones I've gotten elsewhere.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
Sorry I don't recognize your name, uba, but I agree with you (have you tried MV's attys?). I've tried everything to clean them including mouthwash and I'm just not sure I've noticed a difference or at least one that lasted. So I keep them going by blowing them out now and then and then replacing them to get that fresh easy drag. Even if I replace one a month, I figure I'm still saving a lot of money compared to analogs.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
I use alcohol only to clean. several minutes blow out and dry and vape. I never use water any longer as it has slowly killed every atty anytime I have introduced water into my atty for such cleanings.

Alcohol dries fast and allows for vaping within minutes of a cleaning with it.

If that doesnt cut it I toss them. I use to have a lot of atty problems until I switched to an un named type and brand of atty. Now life is total bliss again...

elyn

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Washington
I use to have a lot of atty problems until I switched to an un named type and brand of atty. Now life is total bliss again...

Hi doots, do you mind saying which "un named" attys you've had success with and where you buy them?
I use an eGo and lately have had to ditch a couple of almost new attys and I'm faced with buying more, just not sure where now. tia

dale1962

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Charlotte,NC
i use alcohol only to clean. Several minutes blow out and dry and vape. I never use water any longer as it has slowly killed every atty anytime i have introduced water into my atty for such cleanings.

Alcohol dries fast and allows for vaping within minutes of a cleaning with it.

If that doesnt cut it i toss them. I use to have a lot of atty problems until i switched to an un named type and brand of atty. Now life is total bliss again...
what type of alcohol?

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
what type of alcohol?

I use 90% rubbing. dries quickly. I take the atty off the PV. pour a little intot he atty onto the bridge area 4 or 5 times and fill up the atty. after about 5 fills I blow it out to dry. blow through the atty end, not the connector battery end. I have also used 70% alco and that works fine also.. Blow for a minue or two to dry out.. Drip about 4-5 drops onto the atty bridge and vape. Blow out first few hits and youre ready to go..

dale1962

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Charlotte,NC
I use 90% rubbing. dries quickly. I take the atty off the PV. pour a little intot he atty onto the bridge area 4 or 5 times and fill up the atty. after about 5 fills I blow it out to dry. blow through the atty end, not the connector battery end. I have also used 70% alco and that works fine also.. Blow for a minue or two to dry out.. Drip about 4-5 drops onto the atty bridge and vape. Blow out first few hits and youre ready to go..
Yeah that's what I thought just didn't know if mattered if 90%or 70% I have 70% so I will try this...so your saying you fill up atty to the top 5 times or it takes about 5 pours to get to the top then blow out?TIA

Okay, I have never cleaned an atty with Isopropyl, because I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that we shouldn't do that then vape it.

It is safe after it evaporates off?

I will be quite happy to clean with Isopropyl if it is safe, since I have buckets of that, and it is much cheaper than mouthwash:)

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
I have great luck with 190 proof Everclear. I have some in a small canning jar and when an atty needs a little cleaning I blow out any excess juice from the atty end then just toss it in there and give a couple swirls then let it sit for about 5-10 minutes then pull them out lick them clean.. ummm..errr... I mean dry the outside with a paper towel then blow through the atty end into a paper towel. Close your eyes when you do this cause dat stuff hurts like hell. lol Then a couple more hard blows onto the back of my hand so that I can feel when all the alcohol is gone. drip a few drops on it and take a few primer puffs (don't inhale) and load up and you're good to go!
Actually I do this sometimes just to switch over to a new flavor but I don't wait 5-10 minutes, I just swirl it a few times and finish out the above steps.

BTW.... The reason your paint peeled off is because you let them set in that stuff too long. Everclear WILL do the same thing if you let them set in there over night. If you look, you will see that the paint actually starts to "lift" or bubble. If that happens and you're careful you can carefully pull them out and just set them down on a towel to dry. the paint will "shrink" right back into place and you'd never know it was wrinkled.

BTW.... The reason your paint peeled off is because you let them set in that stuff too long. Everclear WILL do the same thing if you let them set in there over night. If you look, you will see that the paint actually starts to "lift" or bubble. If that happens and you're careful you can carefully pull them out and just set them down on a towel to dry. the paint will "shrink" right back into place and you'd never know it was wrinkled.

My attys thank you for this tip--they are ashamed.

I did try the Isopropyl, and vaping on one atty now and it works very well and I did not croak on the first inhale.

I put some in a small plastic container and have soaked a variety of attys, and it now looks as if someone left a specimen:blink: Yuck! But that makes me really sure it de-gunked them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread