• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Cloud chasers report here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcellus

Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Lion City
I suggest you use 28 awg because it is thicker and more durable than 30/32 and will make your life a lot easier and obviously gives lower resistance.

Longer coil basically increase the resistance, i suggest you try 8 loops on 2mm screw driver and see how you like the vapor then reduce to 6 or 5 if you feel vapor production is lacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey thanks for the tips, yeah okay that makes sense. I shall get the 28awg then, i have these ribbon wires that come up to 1.2 ohms with 4 coils are these ideal? or even better than the 28awg normal ones? thanks again :)

Outdated

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
SEA
From what i notice ribbon gives better flavor but less vapor. Since you have ribbon, you can try tin man coil, which is similar to microcoil but a little overlap on the edge so it touches each other.

For gauge equivalent between ribbon and normal kanthal.

0.5 = 30awg
0.8 = 28awg
0.9 = 27awg

So in general 28awg normal kanthal will give you lower ohm and more satisfactory vapor. That's IMO coz i always sub ohm.

Marcellus

Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Lion City
1 more thing, since you have ribbon, you can try to twist that with 28awg wire and do 6 loops micro coil on 2mm drillbit. This gives a good flavor and vapor.

i just tried to make a micro coil out of the ribbon wire but the resistance came up to be like 2-3 plus ohm with like 6 wraps around a 3mm pole, i just dropped it to about 4 wraps and it came up to about 1ohm just gonna try this first but i double the vape production will be as efficient as a normal micro coil even though it may cover more surface, the rating compared to <1ohm would probably have less vape, i will try the tin man's coil thanks for the suggestion mate :)

asf146

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2013
yukon, oklahoma
lol I have no desire to run 100 watts.... for 1 I don't want to go through juice THAT quick... and 2, he's doing like.... half second draws on that thing lmfao oh my godddd. which is cool seriously, but man!

just bought me a zenith 2 over the weekend. going to be running it on a hana mod v3 (when it comes in that is)
That will bring me plenty of clouds.....

Rob0506

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2011
Renton, WA
The GI2 doesn't have built in batteries, it takes 2 18650s.

Anybody here use 22 gauge yet? I've got a dual macro coil in 22 with cotton wick running .17 ohms and holy crap is it a beast. I expected a lot of vapor and heat, but I was surprised at the intensity of the flavor. The wicking has no issues keeping up. The flavor is better than any sub ohm micro or nano coil setup I have tried to date.

I assume the reason it wicks so well is because of the larger coil diameter. I may have to try it with 28 or 32 at some point to see what happens.

Sigmazxcs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
The Land of ERP and Pee-A-Pee
I recently tried something new.

I used to run 0.46ohms, 1.4mm internal diameter, dual coils on cotton. Wicked it regularly, vapor production was pretty good.

I recently tried to wick it slightly differently. Using the same coils and position, I wicked it as i normally would and soaked it. Then, I use my screw driver to create a tunnel under each of the coils, packing the cotton very tightly.

The result was amazing. I'd safely say I doubled my vapor production with an increase in vapor temperature too. The cotton doesn't burn out that quickly as I thought it would with so little cotton in contact with the coil; it lasted me a good 4 days of hardcore vaping before carbon built up inside the coil irritated me.
Maybe a video perhaps (I'm bloody lazy).

Rob0506

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2011
Renton, WA
Hey Sigmazxcs,
Did the tunnel got parallel or perpendicular to the coil?
I'd love to see the video. I am beginning to suspect that the cotton cloud under some of these micro coils is hurting more than helping out vapor production. I like your idea of getting some cotton underneath but still having the airflow.

Sigmazxcs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
The Land of ERP and Pee-A-Pee
Hey Sigmazxcs,
Did the tunnel got parallel or perpendicular to the coil?
I'd love to see the video. I am beginning to suspect that the cotton cloud under some of these micro coils is hurting more than helping out vapor production. I like your idea of getting some cotton underneath but still having the airflow.

Perpendicular. The vapor just shoots out of the two tunnels. Literally shoots out! From the looks of it, I'd liken this build to a regular 0.2ohm build. I might be wrong though, so don't quote me on that. But vapor production is definitely increase. A one second hit is as cloudy as a full 2 second hit I use to do on a regular build. Now I can barely do a 7 sec drag even if I do lung hits.

Rob0506

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2011
Renton, WA
Perpendicular. The vapor just shoots out of the two tunnels. Literally shoots out! From the looks of it, I'd liken this build to a regular 0.2ohm build. I might be wrong though, so don't quote me on that. But vapor production is definitely increase. A one second hit is as cloudy as a full 2 second hit I use to do on a regular build. Now I can barely do a 7 sec drag even if I do lung hits.

That is interesting, when I built my first macro coil with 22 gauge I was shocked at the vapor and flavor. Rip Trippers recommended keeping the wick out from under the coils so the air would rush under and it was great. Now I hear your report with what I assume is a slightly different build and wire size but similar results. hmmmm.

I should try to wick mine exactly as you describe and see if I like it better. It does make sense that having some wick under the coil will keep the coil more saturated, so your wicking method may be the perfect balance.

Darkangel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2013
Gotham City
Set up Taifun with ceramic Aw27 6 coil

unu6y8y8.jpg

pa8a3y4e.jpg

Add cotton wick

8yza8ygy.jpg

Achieve 0.7ohm, slight lesser than my prefer 0.8ohm

Last edited: