Cold Steel Mod: Bad vaping experience - can’t figure why

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaronHarkonnen

Oct 21, 2019
Israel
Hello and happy new year!

I have a problem with vaping, and it’s getting frustrating. But I can’t figure out where is the problem:
Is it my mod?
Is it my wicking?
Are my vaping preferences simply out of the ordinary?
Other?

can I post a video here showing exactly my problem, and also my built? (It will be easier than explaining in words...)
(Idk if I can attach big files here, maybe link? YouTube or cloud file download link?).

BaronHarkonnen

Oct 21, 2019
Israel
Well, I made video already, but short version :) (even that took me like 15 takes)
I think it’s better if you will hear and see what I’m talking about (mostly hear actualy)
Anyway, Here’s the link

The setup
Mod - ehpro cold steel 100 (don’t buy it btw - build quality is bad after all...)
Mode - TC (specifically to remedy the dry hits problems. Love TC when it works)
Coil - titanium grade 1 (wireoptim from lightning vapes) 3.5mm Dia, comes at about 0.35ohm. Spaced.
Wick - rayon wick (cellucotton) - specifically for the fastest saturation.

wicking technic - well, I attached picture, but I F it up- I forgot to take picture before dripping juice on the wick...(sorry I changed wick 3 times today and generally had exceptionally bad time with everything vape related..Today is not my day)...well anyway- I followed the recommended technic for rayon - put as much as you can through the coil, cut more than half on each end, the rest put through juice hole.
And I tried variations of that as well, pancake technic as well...less rayon, more rayon...I tried a lot of things...different coil diameter as well...

Finally “the problem”:
Basically - when I press the fire button I want to hear the sound like in the video of juice boiling sizzling gurgling...(well you see It’s rather hard to describe with words...). But a lot of time it does not happen. All I get is “Psssssssss” with barely any vape. And the mod can’t even reach the set temperature. It just stalls.

one of the things I do to remedy it are:
- Setting temp higher - even to maximum 315° c. But - it’s unpleasant, and the device still stalls at some point.
- Wicking similar to pancake technic (basically barely covering the juice holes with as little cotton as possible). Problem with that that tank leaks like crazy. And it only delays the problem.

so idk
Either there is something wrong with me, or the device, or wicking.

but I don’t think it’s wicking for the simple reason - I sometimes open the tank, and just drip juice on the coil - does not help.

I do lock resistance at room temperature. I tried to change TCR value, for example 410 instead of 366 for titanium, but it burns the wick, so it’s not the right solution.

I hope all of this makes sense ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
i remember something about TC being finnicky with some mods.
in your defense every part of what you'redoing seems tricky.
i had always thought gurgling is a bad thing_ then again i've never dripped.
have you tried going back to VW wire (kanthal, ni80, etc) at least to rule out connections, air, etc?_
there's also the cotton breaking-in issue maybe?
i shouldnt be answering here really_ EXPERTS! shut me up!

Ricky Vapes

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2019
Mabye the type of wire your using isn’t compatible with that mod?

For example using 430 stainless steel when your mod is only able to TC with stainless steel 316. If that’s the case then Mabye see if the mod has a TCR mode.

Or it could be you not having the proper settings for your wire /build or not setting it up when it’s at room temperature.

BigPappa

Ultra Member
Sep 21, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
Basically - when I press the fire button I want to hear the sound like in the video of juice boiling sizzling gurgling...(well you see It’s rather hard to describe with words...). But a lot of time it does not happen. All I get is “Psssssssss” with barely any vape. And the mod can’t even reach the set temperature. It just stalls.
If this was the purpose of the video, your description is better... probably could have done without the video.

I would try it using the wattage setting and see if it works ok that way. If it does work, you can rule out anything with your wicking, wiring, etc.. Then you can focus on if it is an issue with TC working on the mod or an issue with the type of compatible wire.

Also, pet peeve... it's "Technique" ;)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Video unavailable
    Watch this video on YouTube.
    Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner.

Anyway...

It may just be you need to set things differently than with other mods. Not all mods perform the same at the same settings.

Mod - ehpro cold steel 100 (don’t buy it btw - build quality is bad after all...)

That's the first time I've read/heard anyone say that about the Cold Steel mod. In fact it seems Cold Steel owners love it's build quality and performance so much that I think they sleep with it clutched in their hands. lol

SUGGESTION: Change title to:
    Cold Steel Mod: Bad vaping experience - can’t figure why

It should attract Cold Steel users. The more eyes you have on your thread from people who own the same mod, the better chance you have at getting good answers.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    The coil resistance should be read at room temperature, and the TCR value should be as close as possible to the real value of the metal. Titanium is pure metal with very little (if any) alloys, so it’s TCR value should be 0.00366. By changing the TCR value, you are changing the delta resistance the device has calculated which could also equate to a poor performing vape. As you have discovered.

Looking at your picture, it seems the coil is pretty gunked up. Carbon buildup can affect the coils resistance. Just to note, you should not dry burn Ti coils for there is a risk of over heating and forming Ti Dioxide. Discard that coil, make a new one and try again. You can remove your old coil, drop it in some alcohol to see if it will clean off the carbon buildup. If the buildup is not too bad, the alcohol should dissolve it and you could reuse that coil.

Depending on the juice(s) you use, you will have to figure out a regime on when to change/clean your coil.

I do not know what the resistance lock does with the Ehpro – I would turn it off.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    OP said he/she is using TCR and has lcoked it in room temp. unless i'm misuundeerstanding something

Temperature control is about reading the rise in resistance as the coil heats. By locking resistance, you are telling the device to discard any rise in resistance. Not saying this is the problem, will depend on the design of the device, but I believe it should not be locked.

A Ti coil with 0.34 ohm resistance, and TCR value of 0.00366 (or 366), with a goal temperature of 250°C, you are essentially telling the device to not allow the rise in resistance to go beyond ~0.61 ohms. Carbon buildup could very well cause the coil to reach that delta resistance long before you are reaching your goal temperature – the device views this as the coil hitting it’s target and throttles back power in order to maintain that delta resistance.

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019
    Temperature control is about reading the rise in resistance as the coil heats. By locking resistance, you are telling the device to discard any rise in resistance. Not saying this is the problem, will depend on the design of the device, but I believe it should not be locked.

A Ti coil with 0.34 ohm resistance, and TCR value of 0.00366 (or 366), with a goal temperature of 250°C, you are essentially telling the device to not allow the rise in resistance to go beyond ~0.61 ohms. Carbon buildup could very well cause the coil to reach that delta resistance long before you are reaching your goal temperature – the device views this as the coil hitting it’s target and throttles back power in order to maintain that delta resistance.

thanks for the clarification_ i guess i'm confusing TCR and TC as modes. the mod i'm using only has the first and i havenm't used the one with more options yet

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    thanks for the clarification_ i guess i'm confusing TCR and TC as modes. the mod i'm using only has the first and i havenm't used the one with more options yet

TCR = Temperature Coefficient of Resistance. The resistance of metal changes with temperature, but different metals change at different rates. Kanthal has very little change in comparison to Nickel. Each metal will have its own TCR value which dictates what that change in resistance is.

TC = Temperature Control. TC works by using a TCR value to calculate the temperature of a coil by reading its resistance as it rises with heat.

• Agree
    Reactions: Eskie

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    If the build won't vape properly in wattage mod (adequate juice flow and no dry hits) don't even consider trying to get TC working, it will be an exercise in futility. I don't know how well the EH Pro does TC but I would assume it's not DNA quality, so you might need to play with the TCR values.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread