Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So I live in California...I can't get everclear as it is illegal..what other options do I have? Just get a bottle of Smirnoff Vodka and use it? Bacardi 151? I've heard so many different arguments here that it's hard to decipher "What actually works".

Is it worth the time to deal with this or just buy new atty's and toss the ones that get funky or die out? Any good workable ideas are welcomed??

Thanks in advance for the help...

T

Actually you can buy Everclear in California. It just isn't the Highest Proof Everclear made. It is 151 Proof. You can get it at BevMo

BevMo! - Wine, Spirits, Liquor, Beer, Microbrews, Gourmet, Champagne, Cabernet, Chardonnay, Bordeaux, Scotch, Vodka, Tequila

If you don't have a Bevmo near you or don't want to pay for shipping, 80 Proof or higher Vodka works about as well.

I think is worth the time to saok an atty.

Rottwyler

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2011
San Jose, CA
BTW - Many People use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol verses Vodka or PGA.

I go the Vodka route because you Can't put Isopropyl Alcohol in Dr. Pepper. ;)

Hey Thanks!!! Oh yeah...I thought I was the only one who liked Vodka/Dr.Peppers....

So one last question on this...how long do I soak them? (I'm running to BoozeRUs - BevMo after work :) )

T

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hey Thanks!!! Oh yeah...I thought I was the only one who liked Vodka/Dr.Peppers....

So one last question on this...how long do I soak them? (I'm running to BoozeRUs - BevMo after work :) )

T

DP & Vodka is a Great drink.

As for soaking, I don't really soak an atty. I just put 6 or 7 drops on the atty bridge and then throw the atty in a shot glass for and hour or so. Then I give it a rinse with the hottest tap water I can handle. Blow it out and puit it on top of a light bulb for about 30 minutes.

Don't forget to prime the atty with a few drops of e-liquid on the bridge after you clean it or dry burn it.

BoozeRus... LOL

Rottwyler

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2011
San Jose, CA
Actually you can buy Everclear in California. It just isn't the Highest Proof Everclear made. It is 151 Proof. You can get it at BevMo

BevMo! - Wine, Spirits, Liquor, Beer, Microbrews, Gourmet, Champagne, Cabernet, Chardonnay, Bordeaux, Scotch, Vodka, Tequila

So a little off topic..well not really. So I cleaned my attys with Everclear last night (cool) and I'm thinking.."Self...you have some everclear.." so I pour some in a glass with ice, mix it with rootbeer and start vaping some GV Rootbeer Float...well, my night is starting to turn out pretty darn good!!!

Thanks again zoiDman (I think ;) )

T

If you don't have a Bevmo near you or don't want to pay for shipping, 80 Proof or higher Vodka works about as well.

I think is worth the time to saok an atty.

Hmm..So a little off topic...but I cleaned the attys last night...and I think "SELF!!! You have a bottle of Everclear..."..so I put some of it over ice, mix a little rootbeer with it...and vape some GV Rootbeer float...MAN!! My night is off to a good start!!

T

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks zoiDman...

Picked up a bottle of Everclear and cleaning as I type :)

Thanks again for the tips

T

Hmm..So a little off topic...but I cleaned the attys last night...and I think "SELF!!! You have a bottle of Everclear..."..so I put some of it over ice, mix a little rootbeer with it...and vape some GV Rootbeer float...MAN!! My night is off to a good start!!

T

Hey. The ECF is a One Stop Shop.

What you were drinking is called and Ever-Beer. And I know from experience that if you drink enough of them, you won't Know or even Care if your atty is Dirty or Not. ;)

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I wish my wicks were fouled w/ pure carbon powder; it would be easier to wash off.
Wicks get fouled w/ a hard high carbon material that is practically impossible to remove short of converting to carbon ash w/ approx 1000F.
I've tried several cleaning methods which help but don't revive wick 100%.

Attachments

• 00 ce2-x.jpg
    00 ce2-x.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I wish my wicks were fouled w/ pure carbon powder; it would be easier to wash off.
Wicks get fouled w/ a hard high carbon material that is practically impossible to remove short of converting to carbon ash w/ approx 1000F.
I've tried several cleaning methods which help but don't revive wick 100%.

Have you tried a Dentek Brush soaked in PGA. Not perfect but it helps.

prometheus

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
Helps to dip the brush in PGA or Vodka. They also work good for cleaning out e-Liquids that can get in the center hole of the battery connector.

That's Brilliant! I always use a pipe cleaner but they are a bit thick so don't work very well. When I get home I got some experimenting to do...!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That's Brilliant! I always use a pipe cleaner but they are a bit thick so don't work very well. When I get home I got some experimenting to do...!

I could never find a Pipe Cleaner thin enough.

Here's another Hot Tip: Smash the heads of some Q-Tips flat with a hammer. Works Great for getting all the way down into a 510 battery for cleaning out e-Liquid build up.

This works well to do it. Also it is nice to Smash the Fingers on people who steal your favorite e-Liquid or your last New Carto.

image_3414.jpg

8 oz. Stubby Ball Pein Hammer

I've tried a dozen different atty cleaning methods with varying success. I've recently made a concious decision not to worry about it and just stick with pre-emptive cleaning by the occasional overnight soak in water. Otherwise I make sure I'm stocked up with new gear ready to go.

Why? The cost/benefit doesnt pay off. In addition, I dont want to add to the unknown health effects. I've smelt some very funny smells coming from my atomisers when dry burning. Probably harmless but I dont want to take that risk.

I justify my ecig purchases by thinking of them as a 'nonsmoking' tax. Even if I had to purchase a $10 atty every week (in reality its about 1 per month) I'd be WAY ahead of what I'm spending on cigarettes. A pack of cigarettes in Australia costs about $15 now. As a (former) pack a day smoker its false economics to spend time and effort reviving attys which will gradually decline in performance no matter what I do. Not to mention the fact that by using sub-par attys I'm more likely to fall back to smoking dirty analogs. I've had two major lapse periods and both were due to being stuck without a decent ecig setup. Never again.

I keep all my used attys just in case some super easy and reliable cleaning method comes around. I understand that for some people a $10 atty is a significant purchase. I also understand that people like to get the most of any product they paid for and I salute those who manage to keep their atty running at 100% by whatever method.

In any case, I urge everyone to please consider the potential cost of not having a top quality, fully functional ecig at all times. For me, the cost of regularly purchasing ecig equipment and trying new juices is INSIGNIFICANT compared to the cost of lapsing back into smoking, both to my health and my wallet.

Interestingly, what has paid off is investing in some higher voltage vaping gear. I'm not too shabby with a soldering iron and made a desktop mod out of a power supply module and some spare parts. Atty starting to wear a bit thin on the ego? No probs, jack the volts up a bit and it will vape at excellent levels for a bit longer. Got a bunch of standard resistance attys sitting around that you've never used because the LR attys are so much better? Apply a few more volts and they'll vape just like a LR, if not better. I also save money on batteries with this mod as they only get used when I leave the house.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread