COLD water atty clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peace Pig

Feb 22, 2011
USA
I've read one of the main problems with attys is simply carbon build-up.
Carbon can easily be lifted using cold water (think of printer toner).
This is just experimental, but I ran filtered cold water (cold is important, as warm/hot water will actually cause carbon to bond to fabric, at least with printer toner) on my two "dead" attys. As I was running them under the cold water, hunks and hunks of black gunk came out of each. This seems like a good sign.

Now, I let these two "dead" ones dry, and tried to use them again. No success. I'm going to try again with even colder water, but I feel I may have truly killed them from other cleaning attempts and some "dry-burn" attempts.

So, if anyone out there has several dead attys lying around and they're willing to experiment on a couple, I'm just throwing this idea out there. And I'd say it's worth a shot.

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
thx. i have some old atties that i'll give this a try on. it makes sense, because hot water just softens the gunk, but doesn't take it off. maybe a boil or super hot treatment > cool down enough to not pop the coil > then followed by an ice water bath? interesting!

you may not have killed yours. the may just need a good blowing out both ends.

Rykk

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Florida
How about trying this: Just put them into the freezer for a day, let them thaw naturally, and then flush them with a syringe or something? If the cold actually does something, the "carbon" should freeze into crystals and come right off either by scraping it off or washing it off before it gets a chance to re-solidify. I'm somewhat skeptical but it sounds interesting enough to give it a shot, I reckon...
C-ya,
Rick

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I've read one of the main problems with attys is simply carbon build-up.
Carbon can easily be lifted using cold water (think of printer toner).
This is just experimental, but I ran filtered cold water (cold is important, as warm/hot water will actually cause carbon to bond to fabric, at least with printer toner) on my two "dead" attys. As I was running them under the cold water, hunks and hunks of black gunk came out of each. This seems like a good sign.

Now, I let these two "dead" ones dry, and tried to use them again. No success. I'm going to try again with even colder water, but I feel I may have truly killed them from other cleaning attempts and some "dry-burn" attempts.

So, if anyone out there has several dead attys lying around and they're willing to experiment on a couple, I'm just throwing this idea out there. And I'd say it's worth a shot.

I'm pretty certain that carbon is not a component of atty death and buildup.

More likely, it's the sugars in the flavorings (And I'm referring to chemical sugars not just sucrose). The flavorings used in the e-juice all have different temperatures at which they vaporize. So the ones with the highest vaporization temperature stay behind as residue. Like when a really dark juice or high flavoring content juice fouls up your atomizer.

Over time these bake, and perhaps go through something akin to the Maillard reaction or caramelization. Layers build up, and then the residue leaves a multi-layer coating on the nicrome wire. Eventually it can get thick enough so that vapor production fails- since the coated nicrome wire cannot get hot enough.

Dry burns can *sometimes* crack enough of this coating off to revitalize a fouled atty. But it's not a sure thing.

Periodic soaking (once a week?) in either distilled water, or isopropyl/pure grain alcohol/liquor can remove some of the flavor/PG/VG gunk before it gets baked.

Ultrasonic cleaning, holds the most promise for those atties that aren't totally dead because it can crack both dried residue, and wash away residue that is still viscous.

But carbon? No... Carbon is a component on a molecular level. But in order for there to be a carbon buildup there would have to be combustion. And there's no combustion in an e-cig.

For instance... PG doesn't burn.. it decomposes before ignition. It does have an autoignition level of 378 celsius (700F). The highest temp an e-cig reaches, as measured in a test done at some point in the past is 180 celsius (356F).

So carbon... shouldn't be an issue.

However, cold water will wash away PG/VG if it's still viscous. So you may be achieving results with a cold water rinse- but for different reasons.

Last edited:

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
i tried the baking soda/ white vinegar fizz fix, and it worked quite well....these weren't "dead" attys... actually a dead atty will not come back... a "dud" can; often times.

i usually just put an atty aside when it loses some performance; like after about 30ml of vaping... (guesstimate) for cleaning... the above method is very easy and quick... but so is the dry burn... at least you don't have to dry burn.

any (scientific) comments on the baking soda / white vinegar method?

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
I really wish people would stop recommending isopropyl alcohol. Would you ingest rubbing alcohol? I hope not. Methyl alcohol is toxic to humans. There is no reason to keep recommending isopropyl alcohol to people when you can run to the store and buy a pint of Everclear, which is ethyl alcohol, which is not toxic to humans. In 11 states 190 proof is illegal, and 150 proof Everclear is sold in those locations.

Will cleaning your attys in isopropyl alcohol kill you? No, but when everyone is so concerned about what's in their juice, what's in their atty refresher, etc, it just doesn't make sense that we're recommending something that we know is not fit for consumption as an atty cleaner when there is a non-harmful alternative available everywhere. Not to mention that methyl alcohol tastes horrible. </rant>

I really wish people would stop recommending isopropyl alcohol. Would you ingest rubbing alcohol? I hope not. Methyl alcohol is toxic to humans. There is no reason to keep recommending isopropyl alcohol to people when you can run to the store and buy a pint of Everclear, which is ethyl alcohol, which is not toxic to humans. In 11 states 190 proof is illegal, and 150 proof Everclear is sold in those locations.

Will cleaning your attys in isopropyl alcohol kill you? No, but when everyone is so concerned about what's in their juice, what's in their atty refresher, etc, it just doesn't make sense that we're recommending something that we know is not fit for consumption as an atty cleaner when there is a non-harmful alternative available everywhere. Not to mention that methyl alcohol tastes horrible. </rant>
Here in Canada, with the exception of Alberta and Quebec, you can only get Everclear (Alchool here) with a prescription, oh yeah it costs over $60+ for a 40 ounces. Why? Canada has asinine liquor laws... It sure would be nice to get a beer at the corner store. Isopropyl 99% is quite safe if you let the atty dry, methyl alcohol evaporates very quickly. Do no use Isopropyl with additives, like Aloe etc. I purchase Vodka to clean my atty, unfortunately the bottle is always empty when I need it.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
Here in Canada, with the exception of Alberta and Quebec, you can only get Everclear (Alchool here) with a prescription, oh yeah it costs over $60+ for a 40 ounces. Why? Canada has asinine liquor laws... It sure would be nice to get a beer at the corner store. Isopropyl 99% is quite safe if you let the atty dry, methyl alcohol evaporates very quickly. Do no use Isopropyl with additives, like Aloe etc. I purchase Vodka to clean my atty, unfortunately the bottle is always empty when I need it.

How high a proof do they sell there? I would just get the highest you can and use that, but that is a reason I hadn't thought of.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL

I understand the concern Vap...

But really... Isopropyl evaporates cleanly... leaving nothing behind.

That being said....

Considering it's vaporization point be so low, and it's evaporation rate being so high (even at room temperature) the chances of getting a dose that would harm you.... Well you'd have to load up an atty and vape the stuff on purpose- repeatedly.

Honestly, you might want to point your ire at denture cleaner. That stuff stays on the atty and does not evaporate.

Crest Pro Health contains: cetylpyridinum chloride

"Cetylpyridinium chloride has the molecular formula C21H38NCl and at its pure form is in a solid state at room temperature. It has a melting point of 77 °C when anhydrous or 80–83 °C in its monohydrate form. It is insoluble in acetone, acetic acid, or ethanol. It has a pyridine-like odor. It is combustible. Concentrated solutions are destructive to mucous membranes. It is toxic when swallowed and very toxic when inhaled."

And it's doesn't evaporate cleanly. In fact people are vaping the flavor of the mouthwash off after a cleaning session.

So while I appreciate that people are concerned for the health of their lungs, and want to think critically about the cleaning methods they use, I think demonizing isopropyl alcohol is a disservice.

It works exceptionally well, and as long as you are not vaping it it's just fine. It's cheap. You can get it 24 hours. You can carry it open in a car.

It evaporates *cleanly*

Anyhow.. that's my take on it.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
This is exactly why I recommend the atty cleaners from Vape the Rockies and want2vape. They are made with PGA, PG and ingredients commonly used in the manufacture of E Liquid. They're pretty effective, and there is nothing in them you aren't already vaping in one or another of your juices.

Vap,

Thanks for the pointer.

I'd love to test those. When I have the funds, I do a review on them.

I'm not closed minded- but just as critical as you are :)

MASTER0FDAMPF

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Philly

Not availiable in all locations!!!! Alot of places have banned the sale of everclear for a myriad of reasons. There is also the religious aspect (not in my case, but still a valid point) that comes into play when using drinkable alcohol. I do agree that isopropyl or methyl/ethyl alcohol is not a good idea.

Rottwyler

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2011
San Jose, CA
Not availiable in all locations!!!! Alot of places have banned the sale of everclear for a myriad of reasons. There is also the religious aspect (not in my case, but still a valid point) that comes into play when using drinkable alcohol. I do agree that isopropyl or methyl/ethyl alcohol is not a good idea.

So I live in California...I can't get everclear as it is illegal..what other options do I have? Just get a bottle of Smirnoff Vodka and use it? Bacardi 151? I've heard so many different arguments here that it's hard to decipher "What actually works".

Is it worth the time to deal with this or just buy new atty's and toss the ones that get funky or die out? Any good workable ideas are welcomed??

Thanks in advance for the help...

T

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
I don't know. My experience tells me that once an atty goes south it never comes back. I get a week out of an LR atty, and people ask me what I'm doing wrong. Nothing, I just don't like vaping on an atty that isn't all there.I use atty refresher to restore some of the old luster to clogged attys, but they just go in my travel case as backups.

The atty is the Achilles heel of our hardware. I am really looking forward to someone rolling up their sleeves and making a better one in the next year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread