Status
Not open for further replies.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
It is my understanding that a properly designed and functioning charger has a circuit to prevent overcharge.

Mine too, just as a properly designed and functioning car has brakes to prevent you from running into things. But this "car" ran into something. I'm wondering why.

sema4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
East Coast USA
Ok we've come to the understanding that we have 2 victims that we know of and that we generally agree that we need some sort of regulation on batteries and their usage as applied to e-cigs. So who's going to do this? ASUE. Association for the Safe Usage of E-cigarettes? I say we go hunting with google and find whoever regulated flashlights, those people will know how to solve this. Since well, well all know these are glorified flashlights, albeit they power an external filament, and not an inclosed one (lightbulb).

Slim Batz

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
As you seem to indicate, the poster of the video said that it was a genuine joyetech eGo 650mah battery that exploded.

Interesting, he said that he was charging it on his "USB cable", which leads me to think that he had it plugged into a USB port on his computer. I've heard conflicting thing about doing that, including "the USB puts out 5 amps, which is too high". I just started to type "But wouldn't the battery just draw as many amps as it requires as it's charging", and then thought about my automobile battery chargers that can charge a battery slowly at 2 amps, or more quickly at 10 amps (at 110V I should add).

So - plugging a passthrough into a computer USB port. OK? Bad? Why?

The USB charging dongle has circuitry in it to limit the current drawn by the depleted batteries. As long as the power source is delivering normal USB 5V DC its max current specification should not be an issue ... it should be greater than the spec on the dongle in fact so as to not overtax the power source. The USB 2.0 spec for computer equipment says the port must be able to supply 500ma continuous ... which is not to say that on any given piece of equipment it couldn't be capable of delivering more. Since that is not typically published you do run the risk of causing damage to your computer if you plug something into it which draws more than the spec.

<---cop

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2011
Australia
I know this post will get lost in the sea of this forum but....

MANUFACTURERS SHOULD BE SEALING MODS AND PROVIDING A CHARGING CIRCUIT WITH USB INTERFACE.

I personally love the convenience of swapping batteries, but when you look at the average person who can put any battery in any mod, this has to change before some dies. And they will. And ecigs will be banned. Sealed internal batteries with a USB port is the only way to go to prevent all of this.

This thread will be lost and ignored. Quite a shame :(

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
The USB charging dongle has circuitry in it to limit the current drawn by the depleted batteries. As long as the power source is delivering normal USB 5V DC its max current specification should not be an issue ... it should be greater than the spec on the dongle in fact so as to not overtax the power source. The USB 2.0 spec for computer equipment says the port must be able to supply 500ma continuous ... which is not to say that on any given piece of equipment it couldn't be capable of delivering more. Since that is not typically published you do run the risk of causing damage to your computer if you plug something into it which draws more than the spec.

"The USB charging dongle has circuitry in it to limit the current drawn by the depleted batteries. As long as the power source is delivering normal USB 5V DC its max current specification should not be an issue ... it should be greater than the spec on the dongle in fact so as to not overtax the power source".

Two things; First, was he for sure using a dongle? If it was a passthrough, you can just plug them right into a USB port with a straight USB-USB mini cable. Not sure that you can get a 650mah Joyetech passthrough though ....

Second - as for "As long as the power source is delivering normal USB 5V DC its max current specification should not be an issue ... " - continuing the car anology; as long as the brakes work, there also should not be a problem. Circuits fail, brakes fail. Something failed, I'm still wondering what and why.

sema4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
East Coast USA
In the end I'll say this. Even if 1 out of every 1000 e-cigs blow up killing people, it is better than smoking cigarettes safety wise. Statistically 1 out of 5 people die of smoking. (stat from SMOKING)
Someone somewhere should develop a standard to test and enforce to make them safer.

Done with this topic lol.

ChellyNelly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
Now, here's natural selection at work! Some damn idiot trying to save himself a couple bucks on BATTERIES - THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!!! by going to Radioshack and getting something that he probably thought "looked the same" as the ones on the site. The .......n page for the product he bought says right on it what batteries to use and it's certainly not (Removed symbols) ENERCELL from RADIOSHACK?!?! Come on now! Why didn't he just buy the full kit, you say? He probably couldn't afford the mod to begin with and so he thought he was pulling a fast one on everyone who buys the kit that they recommend you buy with the Prodigy - joke's on him now. Dumbass.

Even if my scenario isn't true, it still clearly states on the website what batteries are to be used and they're available for purchase with the damn mod so he is responsible for being a total dough-head and knowing absolutely nothing about batteries - not even enough to know that if you put the wrong batteries in something that makes it's circuit RIGHT IN YOUR MOUTH, that it could possibly - no, DEFINITELY - be dangerous. I have no sympathy, empathy, or anything. God is thinning the herd, IMO.

And not only am I ...... off about this idiot making all of us look like idiots, but I'm ...... off at the news page that the article is on, and their stupidity. They didn't even open the page they mentioned so many times in the article long enough to see that the (removed symbols) Enercell from Radioshack is NOT RECOMMENDED or mentioned ANYWHERE on the website. Nor did they see what battery is recommended and right there available for purchase?!?! So they're idiots too. Wow, the world sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com

MANUFACTURERS SHOULD BE SEALING MODS AND PROVIDING A CHARGING CIRCUIT WITH USB INTERFACE.

I personally love the convenience of swapping batteries, but when you look at the average person who can put any battery in any mod, this has to change before some dies. And they will. And ecigs will be banned. Sealed internal batteries with a USB port is the only way to go to prevent all of this.

Dont be so cynical.;) I happen to think that is a great idea, with the exception of usb. My vote is for an AC port.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut

I have to disagree. I think that the e-Cig industry is already officially "Too Big To Fail", and that any governmental agency will, despite the paucity of brainpower inside the Washington Beltway, will conclude that accidents will occur when any product is used by millions of people. Flashlights have been using stacked lithium ion batteries for many, many years, and they have not been banned. Let's keep our wits about us people.

"Wow, the world sucks".

You're just finding that out now? :)

sema4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
East Coast USA

Sealed batteries can still explode/malfunction. Spike from computer supply, internal degradation, heat, faulty mod design etc. Lets ban batteries! Although that one step could prevent a percentage of instances. Heck even my girl put her AW in the charger upsidedown for a second lol.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I have to disagree. I think that the e-Cig industry is already officially "Too Big To Fail", and that any governmental agency will, despite the paucity of brainpower inside the Washington Beltway, will conclude that accidents will occur when any product is used by millions of people. Flashlights have been using stacked lithium ion batteries for many, many years, and they have not been banned. Let's keep our wits about us people.

I keep my flashlight out of my mouth.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Where the device is used is irrelevant. Can we say personal massagers?! Bet you wouldn't want your leg or private area victim of a faulty unregulated battery or flashlight, but guess what, its the same thing.

OMG! I never even bothered to be worried about that. Thanks. LMAO...

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest

There are many reasons why we should email our e-cig marketers
with a link to this thread. This thread (although one of the most
popular threads in history) will eventually work its way down the
list and end up on a back page and never seen again.

To assume the marketers are not interested in the information
and suggestions offered in this thread would be a shame.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Sealed batteries can still explode/malfunction. Spike from computer supply, internal degradation, heat, faulty mod design etc. Lets ban batteries! Although that one step could prevent a percentage of instances. Heck even my girl put her AW in the charger upsidedown for a second lol.
Glad it didn't explode.
I have two chargers.
Pos end near light on one neg end near light on other.
I've always wondered what would happen if I messed up.

sema4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
East Coast USA
Glad it didn't explode.
I have two chargers.
Pos end near light on one neg end near light on other.
I've always wondered what would happen if I messed up.

Little risk if caught soon enough actually. AWs are odd in that the (-) terminal is the 3 bumps and the (+) end is flat. Either the charger caught it, or the protection in the battery. Even if they both were unprotected it probably could have sat there for 5-10 minutes before anything terrible happened. After that it would get hot, and eventually short itself out internally and possibly catch fire or vent in a lovely plume of toxic fumes. I remember having an electric R/C car when I was young and I kept triple charging the Ni-Cd battery so the car would go faster. Left one on its third charge (and mind you this was a 15 min quick charger), started smoking and my dad threw it out the front door and yelled at me :)

Nobody start double or triple charging their unprotected batteries so they produce more vapor, I will not be held responsible!

Last edited:

EJH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York, USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread