ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Pic of video - 3 sec
1 video - 5 sec
5 video - 15 sec
gif - 7 sec

Now my computer is a bit old, and running XP. I am sure there are ways I could disable vids, or even pics. But I am not one of those complaining. I remember (1995) waiting minutes for a single nude image. And if I wanted a video, I might as well start it the day before, and hope nothing crashed.

Maybe an option in preferences to disable .gifs and vids, for those that choose.

I do agree with a post several pages back. Someone said something about pages refreshing each time you hit "Back". Changing that alone could eliminate 5-10% of page refreshes.

We can get nude images on a computer?:confused:

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY
Strange, I don't have as much trouble with pictures loading as I do with videos. Pics sizes are a lot smaller than a video size in terms of megabytes and gigabytes. If all I had was dial-up, I would not be on this forum. I don't have that kind of patience.

Does your browser have a flashblock option? In Ff, if I disable flashblock, load times increase. With it enabled, load times are really fast, all I see is a placeholder image w/ the flashblock 'play' arrow.

Just tossin' that out there...

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
And previews are not tiny thumbnails.

Aren't they pretty darn small though? The screen capture I did of a embedded youtube video is only 29KB, so that alone shouldn't make things noticably slower unless there's a bunch of videos on the same page (>5?) and even then I doubt it's noticable unless there's other underlying issues.

In HangDudes case, 1 video took 5 seconds and 5 videos took 15 second (NOT the 25 seconds you'd think if everything was refetched). My guess is that the embedded player is actually only fetched once, and so the only increase in download time from 1 video to 20 is the extra time it takes to fetch all the previews/thumbnails (right or wrong, youtube calls them "thumbnails" but I agree that the term "thumbnails" used correctly describes an image of reduced size used in place of the full resolution image).

From what I'm hearing, the REAL slow down for people are the ones who have "Autostart" set to "true" which is downloading the full video stream for each and every video. If they set it to "false" then the problem goes away and their speed (for pages with videos) would be VASTLY improved.

Other improvements can be made on the user end like the refetching of "back" info you mentioned could be turned off. Personally I don't want to see threads split just because it MIGHT help a handful of people UNLESS everything else is tried first to remedy the issue (i.e. if videos are autostarting for a few people, they need to turn that off PRIOR to ECF making drastic changes to the forum that effect ALL members).

And of course, ECF needs to replace the bad server and maybe expand it, but making fairly impactful software changes based solely on the "hope" that it MIGHT help a few people seems a little backwards to me. I'd MUCH rather see members ask for and receive help in ways to increase their speed if they're experiencing slowdowns than to have ECF make changes with little positive impact and determental consequences (in SOME cases). That should be a last resort.

Heck, there's forums with threads that have over 1,000,000 posts in them and they run fine. Is it because they have less members? Better hardware? Better software? I don't know, but I hope someone is finding out!

wolcen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Boston, MA
www.wolcen.com
Does your browser have a flashblock option? In Ff, if I disable flashblock, load times increase. With it enabled, load times are really fast, all I see is a placeholder image w/ the flashblock 'play' arrow.

Just tossin' that out there...

Yeah - as a proponent of using JUST a web-browser for accessing the web (i.e. NO dang plugins should be necessary! Go HTML5/canvas/music/video!) FlashControl for Chrome/Chromium is an always present plug-in with the same basic effect that works well. There are other plugins that can e.g. control auto-play and flash pre-buffering, etc. of course.

Flash has improved a bit, is STILL a should-never-be-necessary resource hog IMO.

I doubt it would effect many if any embedded videos, but you can also try changing your YouTube preference to HTML5 only (i.e. no Flash) if you have a supported browser. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Cisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2011
Arizona
I'm in the category that suffered slow-page loading when the social buttons were added. Changing my settings didn't make a difference. I've been on ECF following along for about an hour and somehow, in the last 10 minutes my pages are suddenly loading lightning fast. I don't know what button was pushed but I'm happy. :)

thehangdude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Sigh, I thought it was too good to last :(. A 'certain' thread (which I would PAY to never see again)with 58'229 posts is active again and popped to the TOP of my 'My Posts' .
WHY??????

If you don't post in a thread for a month (give or take), it disappears from "My Posts". At least it does for me. When I see the thread in "New Posts" or where ever, it still shows as a thread I've posted in. It just eventially quits showing in "My Posts".

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
If you don't post in a thread for a month (give or take), it disappears from "My Posts". At least it does for me. When I see the thread in "New Posts" or where ever, it still shows as a thread I've posted in. It just eventially quits showing in "My Posts".
I haven't posted there or about 6 months.

tybin

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
WA
Bringing these quotes over here so suppliers and members can find the info:

Roly, I see that some of the other Suppliers reopened their original threads... I see that I have that ability as well, but I feel it would be disrespectful to do so without asking first...

What's your feeling on this... am I clear to reopen my thread?

Yes Zen, by all means. Please do whatever is necessary, and if it it doesn't work out for you, ask a Mod to fix the problem if they can.

I'm sorry about this whole thing but we had to test it.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
IF your having to download the whole video (without clicking "play") than it sounds like a setting somewhere that could be fixed since this is NOT how most people see youtube (or other) videos embedded. Sure it has to pull/download the video thumbnail image but I'm not sure that's much more bandwidth intensive than an equally sized picture.

Here's a test, roughly time how long this page with photo takes to load: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/sandbox/293611-test-photo-load-time.html#post6002095

compared to this page with the same image but this time as a video thumbnail: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/sandbox/293613-test-video-load-time.html#post6002111

For ME they the photo loads in 2-3 seconds, while the video page takes 3-4 (I know, not scientifically accurate but an embedded video DOES take me a second or so longer to load since it has to also load the embedded video player, and maybe youtube is just slow sometimes?).

First off I don't recall saying anything about downloading a video. I said something "it takes videos a long time to load". Maybe a poor choice of words. What I see is what YOU see in your 2 tests. A youtube video that you click on to start it playing. When a video is the first unread post when I click on a subscription, I can't scroll past it until the pic of the video is complete. I don't know if I'm making any sense here but it's like a 2 mgb pic trying to load on a pc with very little memory. While the image of the youtube vid is loading I can't go anywhere until it is done. I don't know how else to explain this. I might add that if the video is at the bottom of the page it's had plenty of time to load before I get to it so I don't have to wait for it but I still think that if a thread has 100's of these vids in it they make the whole thread slower to load.

I got 2 seconds on your first test and 5 secs on your 2nd test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread