"continuation threads"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Have you tried disabling your flash plug in? Whatever it is about large posts that's slowing things down for some people make it sound (to me) like it's causing your browser resource issues. Disabling the flash plug in is just one way to test one of your potential resource issues.

It's more the plugin than anything - the actual resources pulled to show the preview aren't much more than pulling a jpg until you click play and it starts streaming then.

No I haven't and I don't know how or how it will effect other things in my browser.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
It depends on how nice youtube is playing. Every little resource drain adds just slightly to the load. There's not one big "I got it". Couple videos gone viral on a given day = youtube busier, fetches slower. Large thread = a bit more inner processing. Background service tasks = more intermittent "stuff".

I think I could agree with that. If youtube is being hit really hard it would effect how long a video takes to download(play) but would it effect what Tibs calls the preview screen?

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Here's a thread with 5 videos (actually I wanted to do the SAME video 5 times but ECF wouldn't let me, so there's 4 different videos). Since it's got to download 5 thumbnail images it SHOULD take longer than the 1 video thread, however the player shouldn't need to be downloaded multiple times so this page should only take a second or 2 longer than a page with 5 pictures.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/sandbox/293615-test-multiple-video-load-times.html#post6002148

This test took 6 seconds to load all previews. This test was in a 5 post thread. It those 5 videos were in a 5000 post thread, close together and well into the thread, it would take a lot longer the 6 seconds for those previews to load. I've experienced this everyday in the Reo Lounge. When I click on the locked Reo Lounge thread that has over 5000 posts and 100's of videos it takes 12 seconds for the first page to load.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Yes. A preview is a still image obtained via a request for it to YouTube. If YouTube clusters are busy, it takes more time for them to generate the response, with the image.

From perusing vbulletin earlier, it sounds like it is possible to change the video embed, so that instead of getting YouTube-sourced preview images you stuff in a generic thumbnail. The preview still is then only pulled if a user clicks on the thumbnail.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
At the risk of offending people.... if the "video" is fully downloading before you can scroll past it, are you sure it's a video? If it's an animated gif that SHOULD happen, but it shouldn't for videos.

Here's a thread with an animated gif, which takes me 3 seconds to fully load.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/sandbox/293618-test-animated-gif.html#post6002258

I can tell the difference between a video and an animated .gif picture. I'm not a complete newb when it comes to PC and no I'm not offended. It just seems like a silly question. :)

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
You can't offend me Mike, and I appreciate the help because youtube videos have always presented a problem here with my computer.

I don't get a thumbnail imagine or a link to click, I get the whole youtube video, full size, on my screen when it's in a thread. I can't navigate off the page until it's fully loaded and ready to play and it takes awhile.

This is what I get, the same thing you would see if you were directly on Youtube.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
OK, a little looking around and it seems that Internet Explorer has "Autostart" set to "false" as default. Chrome, Firefox, etc. (I believe ALL other browsers) the default is "true" which explains why youtube videos are autostarting/playing. Depending upon which browser you're using there are ways to disable "autostart" which should fix the issue!

I use Chrome and the videos don't auto start. I have to click the arrow to start them.

Foggy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2009
breaking my refresh button
I have known another top 20 vbulletin forum to close very long threads, but never by using an automated plug in.

It actually makes sense to me to close threadzillas after a certain length of time or number of posts. Is there no one else who is somewhat intimidated by trying to jump into a thread that is already thousands of posts long? Where to begin?

However, I do think it's essential that a real live human be involved in the process, either the mod of a forum, a supplier, or even a regular poster who agrees to write an informative first post for the new thread.

Just as an example, an electronics forum might agree to start a new thread for each new version of the latest iPad.

If suppliers are concerned about the appearance of credibility due to the length of their thread, perhaps it can be stated in the title, Foggy's Fabulous Mods: Thread #5. The first post would include links to previous threads and up to date information on what the supplier offers, how to best contact them, etc.

I do find the automated version very inadequate and I would be upset if I were a supplier.

If I ran the world (lol), different types of threads would have different limits. Threads consisting of mostly chat would have lower post limits than supplier threads, etc. I don't see why this would be too much of a burden for the mods or the suppliers once an established system were in place.

Tbh the lack of communication is pretty shocking.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Does your browser have a flashblock option? In Ff, if I disable flashblock, load times increase. With it enabled, load times are really fast, all I see is a placeholder image w/ the flashblock 'play' arrow.

Just tossin' that out there...

I don't know. I don't want to get rid of videos or block them, I just think that a link to a video would be faster to load than a preview if that is the write word. Some videos I want to see and other are just plain stupid. If I don't have time to watch a video or I suspect it's something stupid or something I'm not interested in then I can just move on.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
I have known another top 20 vbulletin forum to close very long threads, but never by using an automated plug in.

It actually makes sense to me to close threadzillas after a certain length of time or number of posts. Is there no one else who is somewhat intimidated by trying to jump into a thread that is already thousands of posts long? Where to begin?

However, I do think it's essential that a real live human be involved in the process, either the mod of a forum, a supplier, or even a regular poster who agrees to write an informative first post for the new thread.

Just as an example, an electronics forum might agree to start a new thread for each new version of the latest iPad.

If suppliers are concerned about the appearance of credibility due to the length of their thread, perhaps it can be stated in the title, Foggy's Fabulous Mods: Thread #5. The first post would include links to previous threads and up to date information on what the supplier offers, how to best contact them, etc.

I do find the automated version very inadequate and I would be upset if I were a supplier.

If I ran the world (lol), different types of threads would have different limits. Threads consisting of mostly chat would have lower post limits than supplier threads, etc. I don't see why this would be too much of a burden for the mods or the suppliers once an established system were in place.

Tbh the lack of communication is pretty shocking.

I agree; if there are to be limits, it should definitely be manual - part of the rules even - then the suppliers, in particular, would have control of the threads they own. Maybe the automated part could be a PM to the thread owner warning of a post count "violation", as it were.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

RippleInStillWater

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Land Of Corruption
I do hope they don't do this in the supplier's forums...

I know there were threads closed in the supplier's subforums that I visit regularly, dannoman, you must have slept through that part!!!:laugh: They did it before with unwanted surprise changes, I truly think they'll do it again, the lesson seems to be forgotten quickly.......

priorities

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2012
wherever my daydreams take me
I feel badly for those who made threads in the upper box 'what's new' ..those listed under supplier's and today's posts. do not go up in line after someone visits them anymore...so they sort of lost out of people 'seeing' them..that's a shame..hope they fix that soon...and the pic problem....[that on is for me : ] ha...they will only post on my won profile or another profile page..not on threads....Also have one I do to all the time a 'suppliers' post.' and she needs help..I imagine she is one a list waiting..she was cut in 2 and cannot fix her own first 'introductory page'...her pic and all are missing...sure was one weird night that left lots of 'aftermath'....sounds like a tornado or something:) but true! take care.....trying a pic one more time...
b25724312.jpg

wolcen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Boston, MA
www.wolcen.com
For everyone using the "What's new -> my posts" to keep up with threads, please look into how subscribing to threads works.

The process of posting in a thread to keep track of it, in addition to being very inflexible, makes a mess in threads when you aren't "offering anything" to the thread itself at the same time. Do it without posting by selecting subscribe from the thread tools menu of the thread you are interested in.

Your subscriptions just as easy to get via a link under the "Quick links" menu.

Not only that, but now you have somewhere that you control - you don't have to be concerned with things you no longer want to look at going away - just unsubscribe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread