Cost of vaping versus smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vape Suzette

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Oooh, I feel sooo cheap! LOL! I am spending approx 26.00 - 30.00 dollars a month on juice alone. But after smoking analogs for 38 years and burning through 366.00 a month, I have some serious saving to do! I am also a lazy vapor and have not had much time to experiment with pvs. I feel great as long as I am not spending or smoking.

Hdivr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
Rolla MO
Just depends on how "cheap" you want to go. Right now, I'm trying to see just how cheap that I can be in vaping. Don't need to but just as a challenge. In the past few months, I've bought 240 ml of 36mg nic for 8.99 and Kanger 510 Horizontal Cartos at 6.99 from Goodprophets when they had a big sale. Bought some PG at local pharmacy ($14.00). Mix it 50/50 for 18 mg for a total cost of 500 ml for about $23.00. For around $30.00 and 2 ml a day, I figure over 6 months. This will last me a good long while.

Still on my 1st Kanger after 2 weeks. I'm going to refill or flush this thing until it just friggin dies.....lol Or set it aside, pull the stuffing out and maybe use these H coils for dripping. My friends are just amazed when they are spending $40 per week on analogs.

I still have some unused Resurrectors and a tackle box full of Tasty Puff flavorings from our local tobacco store if I need to change up flavors now and then. Plus always need to have a 306 lr atty for back ups. So much for saving money..........lol

Last edited:

RobertButler

Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
New Jersey
The problem is not the cost of the consumables (juice , cartos etc)

That is way cheaper than smoking.

Its that when you get bitten by the bug it becomes a hobby and you start collecting an every growing assostment of PV's and accessories.

If one is not careful it can become a very expensive hobby :)

only been vaping for a month now, and I have already come to realize this! hahaha :2cool:

Hdivr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
Rolla MO
In St. Louis my cigs were $35 per carton and i smoked about 10 to 15 cigs per day. Honestly not saving any money on ecigs here, you east coast folks amaze me with your 8 dollars a pack.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

No kidding...... and to think I use to skip over to KY and buy cartons for 8 bucks back in the 80's...............

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
I returned from Iraq in November and was paying only $7.00 a carton...sticker shock here in the states!
I've been wanting to quit for a long time and now vaping has made it possible. I've spent a considerable
amount getting started and trying to find that perfect flavor.
Now I just have to learn to mix my own and it will be a pretty cheap alternative, if I can resist the newest toys:)
They are right, you can't put a price on your health.

Well, I smoke djarum specails at $6 bucks a pack, buying 3 every 2 days. After vaping for about a month now, I'm down to 1 pack every 2 days. Got my clove juice from Tasty Vapors and it so close to the analog, it's spooky. $15 buck a bottle that will last me weeks. Saving money already. Haven't been bit by the mod bug yet, but I have been planning some mass juice purchases.

I also have to add the time I save. Usually I would take a break many time a day and finish off 1 or 2 cigs before going back to work. Now I just take a few puffs while I'm working and I'm all good. I'm self employed and have never smoked inside the building. So add the less analogs and less time taking breaks, and I feel I'm way ahead

n9emz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2012
Florida Space Coast
home.bluemarble.net
A month and a half into vaping we're now even on the money comparison. We should now begin to realize a huge savings because I've bought up at least 6 months worth of stock by my best estimate. I don't foresee an more purchases for that long or more unless I get the urge to experiment....at this point we're both tickled plumb pink with what we're using.

Ladypixel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
La Verne, CA
For me, it's actually slightly more expensive to vape, and this is likely because I and my husband rolled our own cigs. We have a machine to do it, would buy empty filter tubes and an inexpensive tobacco, and just stuff the tubes. That said, when I finally find the right flavor profiles for my taste buds, I'll probably start DIYing my juices the way we DIY'd our cigs, and my guess is that the price'll go back down to a tolerable level.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
A pack of cigarettes costs $8+ in CT so I began rolling my own as others have said they did. A bag of tobacco cost me $16 and the filter tubes cost me $6. So, for me it was around $22.00 every 2.5 weeks. I will round that down to 2 weeks. With e-cigarettes, I believe I vape around 2ml per day. I have been buying from companies that sell juice for around $20.00/30ml (shipping and handling included into the cost) So, with that logic, I am neither losing or gaining money. However, I am living at home with my mother, and my mom would buy me my tobacco or my tubes a lot of the time. With e-cigarette supplies, I'm on my own, and I made that choice. I want to be more independence. I know that I should be saving for college or saving for a car, but I would like to give my mom a break. So, I'm working as much as I can and I'm trying to buy my own things. I know that if I do some research and figure out DIY juice making and cut corners here and there, I won't have a problem vaping. It is generally less expensive to vape than smoke, but the start-up costs skyrocket the price.. And if your buying new mods every so often, your going to be out a lot of money you wouldn't have spent if you had continued smoking. But in the end, you wont get cancer, you wont get heart disease, your going to save your family heart-break, your going to be a father/mother to your children longer and save them funeral costs. Your saving a lot by quitting. :]

JmeMcG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2012
Clackamas, Oregon
Too soon to give you some hard numbers for me, but I know that vaping will be less expensive than smoking. Only about 3 weeks in since placing my first order, and have already placed 4 more orders with same/different vendors... so with start up, a good variety of juices and some extra little accesories I am at about $340 right now, but my last 2 orders were for a lot of juice only... so I *think* I am good for a while.... :laugh:

I am going to look more closely at about the 90 day mark and get my monthly average from there. This seems more practical to me and I think it gives a much better overall monthly expense figure. Start up costs are typically high when starting anything new and getting all the equipment you need (anyone else into R/C Planes, Cars, etc... ??).

In the short time I have been vaping exclusively now, I already feel soooo much better, so that should be the biggest bonus above saving money, right?

Anyway, between me and my husband, we spend right about $550/mo on analogs. My gut tells me we should definately be able to have a vaping expenditure significantly lower than that in the long run... :blink: ( I just hope it doesn't go up... LOL!)

northofamerica

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
Saskatoon
Since I am supporting 2 people with the money I have spent, in 2 weeks I have spent 200$ on juice, 2 variable voltage pv's, and accessories. 9 days of vaping would have cost me about 100$ in cigarettes for myself, and the 80$ I spent today on juice and cartos/attys should last me a good month at least.

Once I find what I like and try more juices that people sell, I will attempt to make my own juice which should make things cheaper. Then I will try making my own mods since I like modifying everything else I own. That may cost a bit unless I can find parts for cheap.

northofamerica:2cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread