Cost of vaping versus smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
I live in a cheap tobacco state, so cigs was never a huge cost. Now that I know what works for me. I don't really spend that much on vaping. Heck I spend more on my crazy Keurig cups a month than I do on vaping supplies now. YMMV.

Hey, I never thought about that. If I included Coffee (ground and instant), Creamer, Sugar, Cups (I have collected a few over the years), etc. I might actually spend more on coffee than I do on this stuff (ha and I am not giving up my coffee either)...

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
I currently spend $30 per carton, roughly a carton a week. How much does it cost to vape instead of smoke?

Vaping is healthier, you were spending money when you smoked, so why does it matter what your expense is vaping? I don't mean or intend for that to sound harsh...it's a fact. Why worry about the expense? You're saving your health...that's what counts.

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
Vaping is healthier, you were spending money when you smoked, so why does it matter what your expense is vaping? I don't mean or intend for that to sound harsh...it's a fact. Why worry about the expense? You're saving your health...that's what counts.

That's definitely a fair point if that's the reason people quit analogs. Everyone has a different motivation for turning to vaping, for me it was definitely more financial than health related.

I found out about ecigs about 2 years ago but for various reasons was under the impression that it would be more expensive than smoking so I didn't bother investigating further. Tbh, health wasn't even a factor.

Now, I'm happier that I can stop destroying my health and even improve it, but I'm much happier with cutting my costs down 90%. That was what did it for me.

The only problem I now see is that for me, I have now done away with every reason I can possibly think of to quit vaping eventually. It's not like my health is going to improve much by quitting vaping, and for 15 bucks a week, I'd rather avoid those withdrawals. :)

Oh what am I to do?

winfab

Krunked
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2011
For some people it's pretty cheap I guess. My sister has never been on the forum evah (imagine that!) and has an ego and just gets juice and cartos. I order them for her because apparently even that is too much of a strain. She also doesn't vape 100% :smokie:

If you hang around the forum, it's very tempting to want to try everything you see, but I think the support here helps you stay motivated and keep vaping.

Before I joined here, I was happy with just my ego t, now I can't wait to get my hands on a provari, SB, Darwin, lavatube juice samples from any and all sites out there. LOL It still beats the hell out of my almost 500 dollars a month analog habit (thank god I don't smoke anymore) Aside from day dreaming of future mods I have yet to own, I only spend about 50 bucks a month vaping.

Last edited:

hiram13pm

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Merced, CA
I was getting it from BoxElder, but now from XtremeVaping. Please do tell of this "RTS"?

edit: Ah. Found the link. I'll have to try them next time around... I think we're down to only about 200ml of base between us ;)

hiram, do you mind if I ask where you buy your nic liquid? I buy from RTS and don't spend near that much. I also buy 100mg by the 1000ml. It's very good nic.

Last edited:

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
That's definitely a fair point if that's the reason people quit analogs. Everyone has a different motivation for turning to vaping, for me it was definitely more financial than health related.

I found out about ecigs about 2 years ago but for various reasons was under the impression that it would be more expensive than smoking so I didn't bother investigating further. Tbh, health wasn't even a factor.

Now, I'm happier that I can stop destroying my health and even improve it, but I'm much happier with cutting my costs down 90%. That was what did it for me.

The only problem I now see is that for me, I have now done away with every reason I can possibly think of to quit vaping eventually. It's not like my health is going to improve much by quitting vaping, and for 15 bucks a week, I'd rather avoid those withdrawals. :)

Oh what am I to do?

As long as you don't let the "mod bug" bet a hold of you and you aren't buying every "new and improved, fabulous" item to hit the market...it's cheaper.

For me it was for my health. I was a 4 PAD smoker. I don't much care about the costs because I'm one that fell into mods and love trying out new devices. I don't buy every new carto or atty that hits the market...I'm pretty much set on what I like.

If you want to go very cheap, start DIY'ing your juice.

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
Yeah got into the mods fairly early on. I guess it's a good thing that I wasn't overly wowed by the provari and the alpha ultramax. You see I love cartos and high volt vaping burns them up.

Please dont tell me about awesome high volt cartos, I don't wanna know. Lol

DIY juice is deffs cheaper if you know what you like, and if it wasn't for international shipping I'd be under a buck a day.

You northern hemisphere people have it good.

JasonInTN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2011
Cookeville, TN
If you have your setup and DIY supplies, you can get the cost down to 10 to 12 dollars a month, including cartos, or under 20.00 a month if you splurge.....LOL

One thing for sure...cost does not have to deter you from a fine vaping experience. At my current rate I think I am in that $10-$12 a month range INCLUDING my hardware. I have a nice set of Rivas from Liberty Flights, bought on sale for $30 shipped. Boge cartos $8. One gallon of PG from Tractor Supply $20. Walmart VG for $4. 120ml of of some great 60mg nic from RTS Vapes $25. Some miscellaneous flavorings, bottles, and hardware, and I'm vapin down. We'll see how the hardware holds up this next year but I think I'm in that 30 or 40 cents a day area. I rolled my own analogs the last year I smoked at about 50 cents a day, so even at that, vaping can be cheaper. Obviously though, that's not what this vaping thing is all about. My lungs are clearer, my sense of smell is awesome, haven't burned any furniture or clothes, and I don't smell like an overworked chimney. My mom and my spouse say they are proud of me, and just yesterday when I told my doctor about my vaping, he told me to keep doing what I am doing.

Last edited:

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Yeah got into the mods fairly early on. I guess it's a good thing that I wasn't overly wowed by the provari and the alpha ultramax. You see I love cartos and high volt vaping burns them up.

Please dont tell me about awesome high volt cartos, I don't wanna know. Lol

DIY juice is deffs cheaper if you know what you like, and if it wasn't for international shipping I'd be under a buck a day.

You northern hemisphere people have it good.

Woo Hoo...I love HV vaping also. Have you tried the dual coil cartomizers at 6V yet? If not, you gotta try them! If I'm not using dcc's, I run 3ohm Boge with good luck even at 6V.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
As long as you don't let the "mod bug" bet a hold of you and you aren't buying every "new and improved, fabulous" item to hit the market...it's cheaper.

For me it was for my health. I was a 4 PAD smoker. I don't much care about the costs because I'm one that fell into mods and love trying out new devices. I don't buy every new carto or atty that hits the market...I'm pretty much set on what I like.

If you want to go very cheap, start DIY'ing your juice.

But, Hairball you left out one note - from what I see in the classifieds - Mods do not lose their value much so recoupment after experimentation is always possible unless you want the trophy's on the wall to show off (LOL)...

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
....... I will not buy a provari or one of the other extravagant PV's as for me it is a way to stay off of analogs - not a new hobby. The money I am saving is going to enjoyable things in life (at least for me) - vacations... I can afford them now (woooohoooo)...

I really don't understand this type of comment. In fact, I don't like this kind of comment. If someone buys a Provari or Darwin or Buzz Pro, it's a hobby but if someone buys a Riva it's "getting away from smoking"???

I vape on a Darwin and have not bought any other PV in a year. And unless something really comes along that can out perform it, I won't be buying another model. Plain and simple, a Darwin, along with a number of the better performing models, simply out perform the cheaper models. Much less hassle, much more consistency, much better build and much longer battery performance. I didn't buy the Darwin as a hobby, I bought it because of all the advantages and better performance it provides. For some vaping can be a hobby. But for the majority I have met who have better built models, they are not buying them as a fad, they just appreciated the better performance and don't own more than two models, their main one and a back-up.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
I really don't understand this type of comment. In fact, I don't like this kind of comment. If someone buys a Provari or Darwin or Buzz Pro, it's a hobby but if someone buys a Riva it's "getting away from smoking"???

I vape on a Darwin and have not bought any other PV in a year. And unless something really comes along that can out perform it, I won't be buying another model. Plain and simple, a Darwin, along with a number of the better performing models, simply out perform the cheaper models. Much less hassle, much more consistency, much better build and much longer battery performance. I didn't buy the Darwin as a hobby, I bought it because of all the advantages and better performance it provides. For some vaping can be a hobby. But for the majority I have met who have better built models, they are not buying them as a fad, they just appreciated the better performance and don't own more than two models, their main one and a back-up.

The comment was not meant as an insult or pointing at anyone. I should have left out reference to any particular PV (I will in the future). What the post was supposed to be referring to was the individuals that get caught into the hobby aspect of vaping and then make comments on how they are not saving money vaping as they cannot control their spurs to buy new toys...

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
But, Hairball you left out one note - from what I see in the classifieds - Mods do not lose their value much so recoupment after experimentation is always possible unless you want the trophy's on the wall to show off (LOL)...

That's true. I have some put away for special reasons...namely my brushed aluminum Classic Buzz. My first VV mod that my daughter bought for me as a surprise gift for having given up smoking. It holds a special place in my heart and one that I would never sell. It's also a collector's item because only 20 were made. I have a few others that aren't in production anymore and I could easily get more out of them than what I spent so yes, they do hold their value or even more if they aren't made.

***Covering my eyes***
La la la la la la la la la di da di da la la la la

Open your eyes...start chanting...dcc/6v..dcc/6v..dcc/6v. You gotta try it!

roycrt

Moved On
Sep 9, 2011
SouthEast

I am new here. Started a few months ago vaping and was happy. Now I am back looking for an upgrade - not a Provari or a Darwin level of an upgrade. Vaping is great, but the price tags on those are not. I got into this to stop smoking and to stay off smokes.

You joined back in 2009. You cannot tell me you started with a Darwin - you elevated up to it. You would also have a hard time convincing me that the price tag of a PV was never an issue. In the beginning I would bet you did not want to sink $100 or $200 plus into a PV. Like I said you elevated to it.

Many people start low and have no intention of elevating to the price tag of a Darwin or such, but eventually do. Maybe they cannot afford it or maybe they cannot justify it - counting what you are saving while you are off of analogs is not a justification - it is an excuse to spend the money, but for some it becomes necessary to arrive at the level of satisfaction they desire.

I want to stay under $50 and I will. If I cannot then I will learn how to build a mod. The modders claim it can be done for a few bucks - so why would I want to invest a few hundred to accomplish the same thing that you did with your PV - stop smoking.

Some need to drive a Cadillac and others just need to get there.

dearme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Colorado
Well, I don't know about wv2win's decision or thought processes, but I started off with 2 Reo Woodvils (TOL bottom feeders) because I wanted something that was no fuss, no muss, would last forever, and did not require fiddling with. I had to wait 2 months while they were custom made in the woods I wanted, and I bought a Maxi RoughStack to get me thru the wait. Two months after that, I bought the Provari, basically for the same reason.

I think our buying decisions depend on our individual personalities. I have no patience, I don't want to mod anything, I want it to work when it comes out of the box exactly the way I think it should work, and I don't want any problems. I find it more cost efficient to buy TOL and keep them forever. I do not plan to quit vaping so that played a part in my decision also.

We all have different ways of looking at things, and our personalities and goals are different. Everybody makes their decision depending on what they want or desire in their PVs, and what their expectations are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread