• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Crazy Ego Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smile n' shine

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2012
Canada
I put my fairly new ego setup down for a second.....it started igniting on its own and I could hear the juice cooking. I caught it to turn it off and the switch did nothing. I disconnected the base and reconnected....same thing happened and I couldn`t shut it off.

Anyone have this issue......I assume the battery is not something to be fixed....

Smile n' shine

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2012
Canada
Yup. Sounds like you broke something in the electronics and it's stuck.

I can't remember if it's the protection circuit or something else

I just don`t understand how I could have done anything to break it. No drops, no showers (although submersible units...hmm something to consider for the summer), no throwing, no lending, only pampering ;) Maybe I have a really powerful trigger finger for a girl. lol

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
Did you kill your other battery yet?! A bad atty/carto can also cause a battery to short out. Usually folks (me included) just curse and swear and put the atty/carto onto their next battery.. causing it to fail after some time too.

Hoping that this is not the case with you.

Proceed with caution!

zer0ith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Burlington, Ontario
I just don`t understand how I could have done anything to break it. No drops, no showers (although submersible units...hmm something to consider for the summer), no throwing, no lending, only pampering ;) Maybe I have a really powerful trigger finger for a girl. lol

If it was a low resistance atty or carto it could have fried it. I know there has been some talk of low resistance stuff killing egos.
I've never run across it, I'm just quoting from memory

Smile n' shine

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2012
Canada
Good tips.....thank you :)

I`ve eliminated the atty to take safe measures & popped a new one in, on the other battery. I`m going to shine up the other battery and try it again in a few hours with another atty to see if it is totally hooped.

I have a new batt on the way & some bloogs for back up, I should survive the weekend.

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
Good tips.....thank you :)

I`ve eliminated the atty to take safe measures & popped a new one in, on the other battery. I`m going to shine up the other battery and try it again in a few hours with another atty to see if it is totally hooped.

I have a new batt on the way & some bloogs for back up, I should survive the weekend.

If you have a meter you can check for voltage at the connection when the button is not pressed. If there is always power "on", that is not the atty causing it. That would be the switch.

Correct?

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Wolfe Paradise
I will have to dig out my meter and try it out, although I think the batt has lost its fizz by now. If its the switch, can it be fixed.....Hands free vaping!! I like that perspective Constantine....:laugh:

What can i say? i am a lazy :cenored: so if that means not having to press the button to get a toot, you have my vote :D

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
A shorted atty or carto coil on an eGo results in 3 flashes and shutdown. It's not that. The switch is a low voltage pulse to activate the electronics, which in turn energizes the MOSFET that sends voltage to the carto coil.

Call the supplier. You have an internal electronic failure. A remote possibility could be a stuck switch, but I vote for chip failure or a fused MOSFET source/gate/drain failure.

Smile n' shine

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2012
Canada
Thanks DaveP, that is a good bit of information to know.
You just summed up the two hours I spent trying to learn about these batteries.
Bottom line....I will contact the supplier.

Constantine...rig up a motion sensor apparatus attached to head gear....toot toot....
I would hate to think of what that would look like, talk about hard core chain vaping!
:vapor:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thanks DaveP, that is a good bit of information to know.
You just summed up the two hours I spent trying to learn about these batteries.
Bottom line....I will contact the supplier.

Constantine...rig up a motion sensor apparatus attached to head gear....toot toot....
I would hate to think of what that would look like, talk about hard core chain vaping!
:vapor:

You can disassemble an eGo if they don't require you to return it for warranty credit (check first) but it involves removing the threaded end, which is pressed into the top. If you remove the threaded end (the best way), you may have to find a pipe fitting that matches the thread size of the cone threads and use a pipe nipple with the female adapter that fits the cone threads. Use the pipe as a lever to wiggle it until the cement gives away. The electronics are attached to the end cap and the battery is soldered via wires and will come out with the threaded end cap along with a couple of pieces of foam padding that keeps the battery from banging around inside.

There's little way to repair it unless you can get the parts. Batteries are consumables and if you are lucky, the supplier will have a 30 day battery guarantee, which is fair considering that it they last a month, they are likely good ones.

Last edited:

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Wolfe Paradise
Constantine...rig up a motion sensor apparatus attached to head gear....toot toot....I would hate to think of what that would look like, talk about hard core chain vaping! :vapor:

can someone else make that? again as i said i am way to lazy, this is why i never got into construction work only demolition LOL, either way i hope you get the situation fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread