Status
Not open for further replies.

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
I got the dreaded call from my CC company today. They denied several suspicious charges but let one gas station purchase in Detroit go through. I used the card at multiple vape companies in March and April, but not since then. Multiple companies, so I'm not going to list the names.

I'll get a new card in a few days, but it's still very annoying since I have reoccurring payments that will need to be set up again.

I'll only use pre-paid cards for vape supplies from now on. I never had any problems shopping online before vaping.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I got hit (6/6) today on my debit card and my Visa, both B of A.

There were 4 attempts on the debit card, from:

FPBILLSUPPORT.COM, located in NV $1.00
RITZ-CARLTON, located in NC - $6.90 (This charge was reversed, the merchant noted the customer had canceled the transaction)
SAFEPLAYWLD FT, located in Ft. Lauderdale, FL - $44.42
BILLING SOLUTIONS LLC, located in Los Angeles, CA - $54.96

I know these names and locations are fake, but I'm letting you know in case the same names show up on your statements.

On the Visa:

AT&T - $5.00 (The BoA fraud investigator and I speculate this was a test transaction.)
PAYPALMASTER - $325.00

I checked PalPay and my account has had no activity in over a month. I don't have a PayPal credit card, but BoA contacted PayPal fraud department anyway to verify PayPal had no connection to the transaction. We had an interesting 3-way phone call. From some info on the PAYAPLMASTER charge they were able to determine it was made under the name (or names, they couldn't determine if the last two names were a separate person): Gandi Salem Reyes Pina in the Dominican Republic. The charge was for "services."

I still don't quite understand this part (I hadn't had my coffee yet), the payment to PAYPALMASTER from Gandi, appeared to be checked out through a "guest account," meaning that the person had to type in my full credit card number, including expiration date and security code.

I usually use the debit card for online purchases, but recently used my Visa: once to a vendor I've bought from in the past, and once to a vendor I know, but have never bought from before. Only one vendor have I used both cards with, once in May and before that, perhaps March(?). It's a reputable company many of us buy from. I didn't think to copy the transaction history is get more info before the accounts were closed and I won't be to get it until the numbers are reissued (today or tomorrow).

I'm wracking my brain about whom I have brought from online using two different cards at some point, not just those connected to vaping. The perpetrators could have been sitting on the numbers for months before attempting to use them.

So I have 2 fraud cases open: BoA and PayPal. PayPal had no connection to the transaction, but since their name was used they want to investigate too.

The only saving grace is that I'm totally broke. I'm sure Gandi has much more money than I do and anything he tries to charge over $50.00 will red flag my account.

CityLights

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Here is a list of all the businesses I've entered my Back of Card security number since having this card issued and then compromised. I suspect the hackors took my card details from one of the card pay processors of one of these businesses.

Netfix (US)
Paypal
Google Playstore
Smokeless Image
Halo ecigs
Happyvaper Canada
Petnovations (CatGenie) <over a year ago
revivalanimal.com (pet meds) <over a year ago

The first 6 stores have been used monthly or within the past 4 months.
I wish I knew which place to avoid with my replacement card coming this week :(

This is the first time I've had a card fraud, now I'm monitoring all my other accounts to make sure this hasn't gone into the Identity theft area, so far good. I also don't run windows (insecurity OS) and my systems has always been up-to-date with no threats ever found. In other words, I'm pretty sure it's a card pay processor has been compromised.

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Here is a list of all the businesses I've entered my Back of Card security number since having this card issued and then compromised. I suspect the hackors took my card details from one of the card pay processors of one of these businesses.

Netfix
Paypal
Google Playstore
Smokeless Image
Halo ecigs
Happyvaper Canada

This is the first time I've had a card fraud, now I'm monitoring all my other accounts to make sure this hasn't gone into the Identity theft area, so for good. I also don't run windows (insecurity OS) and my systems has always been up-to-date with no threats ever found. In other words, I pretty sure it's a card pay processor has been compromised.

I haven't done business with any of those except PayPal and when I use PayPal the funds come directly out of my bank, not through my debt card.

I looked over the fraudulent charges and the ones to my debt account were for for a bill consolidation company; the Ritz Carlton; a months subscription to a family-oriented gaming site; and a medical billing service. All of which appear legit, although I've never used them or any similar services.

The ones charged on my Visa were for AT&T ($5.00 which appeared to be a test transaction) and a payment to a fake PayPal MasterCard. All of the charges were made on 6/6 and I am going a bit nuts trying to figure out what companies would have both card numbers. I'm wondering if BoA was compromised. Out of the blue last year they changed my debt card number due to hacking issues with some accounts (not mine).

Last edited:

Irishred

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
USA
I too was called two days from my CC company. Two fraudulent charges. I've recently ordered from two vapor companies. One I've been ordering for months and one for the first time last month. New Card coming. Does anyone know if Visa has virtual numbers I can use? I wanted to order something today but I don't have my card yet. I was wondering if companies would require that you call in the require three security numbers on the back of the card rather than type it on your billing form. But that would only work if all companies require the three security numbers. Not all of them do.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've checked into the web site comparisons of Prepaid Debit Cards and they all charge some sort of monthly fee in the range of $4.95 a month. Even Chase who claims no fees charges the same monthly service charge but it doesn't charge for other services as the others do.

I'm thinking about just creating a pseudo number with my BofA Visa card and setting the limit at $100 for online transactions. Anyone doing this? How does it work out? I'm told that the same fraud protection applies with the pseudo number.

The problem is that I like for Amazon to have my card on hand so that I can order without having to enter it all over again. I order two to three times a month from Amazon and get free two day shipping on most things with Amazon Prime. I'd hate to have to enter CC data each time and $100 won't get it for some things I order. Maybe I'll let them keep the original number. I just wonder how someone got my number lately and made purchases. The lady who notified me of the two online fraud purchases said that most fraudulent purchase are done through random number generators used to create card numbers. They try them until one works and then wear it out until it doesn't work anymore.

Top ten prepaid cards comparison
http://prepaid-debit-cards-review.toptenreviews.com/

Last edited:

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
The Walmart/American Express Bluebird card doesn't have any monthly fee or fee to reload. The only problem is not every shop takes AmEx.

The Walmart Visa pre-paid is $3 to reload and $3 a month.

I'm still convinced that it was one of the processors used by e-cig vendors that my number was stolen from. I will still use my regular CC with major US retailers, just not for e-cig supplies anymore.

BigBaby

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
West GA
It just happened to me, and the .......s didn't get anything. I will dig back through my transaction history and see what all companies I ordered from with using this card. I can be almost positive that my card number was stolen via a transaction with a vendor in the e-cig industry because this was a card that I primarily used to take cash out and and shop online.

PONKAW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2011
Panama city
I'm thinking about just creating a pseudo number with my BofA Visa card and setting the limit at $100 for online transactions. Anyone doing this? How does it work out? I'm told that the same fraud protection applies with the pseudo number.

I wanted to setup a separate debit account with my credit union but was told you can only have one account (checking+savings) per SS number. I really didn't want to set up anything with another bank. I decided to try the Paypal prepaid. The card is linked to my Paypal account so yes there is a $5/month service fee but no fees for loading the card with my Paypal funds. The Only rub I've seen so far, is that sometimes it takes up to three days for my bank to transfer funds to paypal.
I'm keeping a small balance on my PP account and can instantly transfer to the PP prepaid mastercard. I like the fact that the card is not linked to my bank account at all, to me it's worth the service fee. I also found a check cashing place close to me, that will load it for $2.

Last edited:

mrfixit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Akron, Ohio
I use a prepaid card for all my online purchases I fund the card right before I make my purchase that way anyone trying steal the number and using it gets no where fast. I believe its the safest way to do it. Even our city computers aren't.safe from hacking. I'm surprised that vendors haven't been hit for large sums of money this way yet. Vapping still being a relatively new business it is probably an easy target since purchasing volume is lower than say buying shoes ect.... You really have to be diligent in this information age to protect your identity from theft.

Netfix (US)
Paypal
Google Playstore
Smokeless Image
Halo ecigs
Happyvaper Canada

This is the first time I've had a card fraud, now I'm monitoring all my other accounts to make sure this hasn't gone into the Identity theft area, so far good. I also don't run windows (insecurity OS) and my systems has always been up-to-date with no threats ever found. In other words, I'm pretty sure it's a card pay processor has been compromised.

I just got my card number stolen and the only vendor on the list you made that I've used was Halo. Not pointing fingers but thought you might like to know.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Some interesting information about identify theft. Most of it I had heard, but I enjoyed the story about the lady who forgot to remove the "Please Activate" sticker from one of her cards after activating it. The thief who entered her hotel room didn't take that one, but got the others. So, when they were replaced she left all the stickers on. During a function at a hotel someone went through purses and stole credit cards from many people when they weren't looking, but didn't take hers.

Credit Card Help: 10 things you should know about identity theft

If you have a credit card with an RFID chip in it (my new one does) thieves can read your number while it's in your wallet just by walking by and holding a reader next to your back pocket or purse. There are safe sleeves you can slip it into to prevent this from happening.

Electronic pickpockets can steal credit card numbers out of air

Aluminum foil in your wallet prevents RFID card theft

And, it gets even more technical

Hacker Demos Android App That Can Wirelessly Steal And Use Credit Cards' Data

Last edited:

PONKAW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2011
Panama city
Why not just go for the PayPal debit card instead. No loading money and no fees, it is just a debit card for your PayPal account.

Because there is no possibility of overdraft with the prepay. The Debit card is linked to the PP account which is linked to the bank account.
I don't want my Pre-pay to even know I have a bank account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread