Credit card stolen!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

inter_ceptor00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Minor Details
So what exactly happens when you cc gets compromised, what course of action is open to you? Do you dispute the charge, change the card# and move on? If so then no monetary damage happens to the victim, is that true? Lots of questions, hate thieves.

If you notify them quickly, and the charge appears to be fraudulent, then you should have no problem getting a "chargeback" on your credit card.

For me, I've found that those credit/debit cards you can get from Walmart, the prepaid kind, work great for online CC purchases. Load them up with the amount you plan to spend, and once you spend it, theres nothing left on it to be stolen.

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
>Also, Paypal was hacked last week. Big news story. Lots of banks and Paypal included. No one is safe.

I keep reading in ECF posts about Paypal being hacked and a big news story, but when i google "paypal hacked" i don't really find much that causes much concern. I certainly don't see anything I would consider a BIG news story, unless, perhaps, I lived in Singapore.

oxygen thief

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Looked on my cc statement one day about two months ago. Someone charged $11 to a Chinese company called strawberryNET.com. It is a cosmetics co in China. I closed the acct and it took my bank or the people that handle their cc biz 6 weeks to get my replacement card. I ripped them to shreds. My last conversation...Y'all have my money. This is not your place to keep it. I want my card in two days. I got it. Worst cs I've ever seen.

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
>I will say that I've used bulkejuice.com and nicvape.com without any problems.

FWIW, I've seen a few posts in threads like this where the card was only used once like 6-10 months ago.

My point is, if it's really the CC processors at fault, there may be no way to evaluate either a bad OR good vendor.

In one of the threads like this someone was trying to compile a list of vendors and which credit card processors they used, to see if there was a pattern to the processor. That would be interesting.

When I read the first post like this last week, i called Citi, cancelled my card, got a new one and started using their virtual credit cards which i had just discovered.

I can now make a virtual CC# last for just one vendor or even one single purchase. Or I can set a dollar and date limit. I'm a heavy Amazon user and I even switched my Amazon account to a virtual #.

Yesterday madvapes posted that they actually got hacked -- not their CC processing company -- but them. (Double jeopardy!) Today I ordered from them using a virtual # with complete confidence.

So, my point is that there is no such thing as a "safe" ecig site. Virtual CCs or prepaids are your only up-front protection. After that, you're at the mercy of how your bank deals with it.

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
>Also, Paypal was hacked last week. Big news story. Lots of banks and Paypal included. No one is safe.

I keep reading in ECF posts about Paypal being hacked and a big news story, but when i google "paypal hacked" i don't really find much that causes much concern. I certainly don't see anything I would consider a BIG news story, unless, perhaps, I lived in Singapore.

Chase, Citigroup among banks reportedly hacked in $15-million heist - chicagotribune.com

There you go

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California

I'm not completely convinced, although I admit that is more troubling than what I found. Thanks.

If all of those institutions had really been hacked by a pro, I suspect it would amount to more than 15 mil and the news would be even wider spread.

That said, it is even more important for everyone to protect themselves. I will probably take further measures beyond what i've already done to protect all of my accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread