Status
Not open for further replies.

Sewknitty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2010
NY
shesaquitter.wordpress.com
I'm happy for you, Clyde! And, I gotta say, I appreciate you recording your Darwin adventures, especially since you're a feeder fan too.

I don't remember seeing it mentioned in the thread already but have you tried The Dripper? There are no reviews on it anywhere but you can't get more straight forward than this. Bruce from COV is getting in smart carts for 510s soon and I've heard good things about them. You won't need to get an adapter or one of this gigantic Ego attys if you can score a pack. Drew sells Dripomizers that are 801s but they're priced per piece. Ikenvape's cartos are legendary and I see he has a few (literally) Drip Style . also priced individually, left on the site. I just know you'll find your perfect vaping vessel soon.

buGG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2009
brush²
...Also received an unexpected phone call Monday morning from Brandon to ask me about my Darwin's malfunction. Turns out he was personally as well as professionally curious about it, since he had so few problems with the first batch of the units.

clyde, did you or brandon ever figure out what the cause of the problem was? mine shut off twice, first after shorting a 510 in the AFS and then mistakenly using a shorted 510-801 adapter i had laying around. freaked me out both times, but as soon as i realized there was a short, repairing the atty and switching to a better adapter remedied the situation. was having my experience with a "frankenatty" as well, but a BE112 that just wouldn't die, but jumped all around from 3.2Ω a year or so ago to different resistances, verified with my meter, all day long for the past three or four days before finally removing it this morning at 9.8Ω. but it's still not dead. the way it jumped around i don't know if any other device would have been able to keep up throughout the vape, but the darwin definitely delivered despite the fact that i really need to trash that atty anyway. i'm using a bulli A2 on it at the moment, opens and closes without a problem on the darwin...very, very nice! anyway, glad you're back up and running, and best of luck with your next atty/carto selections!

Last edited:

BigBopper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
... i'm using a bulli A2 on it at the moment, opens and closes without a problem on the darwin...very, very nice!...

Thanks for that info. I just ran across a thread on the A2 the other day, and was wondering if it would close OK. Your post saves me the trouble of asking the question. I guess I'll be ordering one now;)

Al

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
Was contacted by the maker of my tank mod...long story short, he used a different tubing for my mod and needs to replace the o-rings. I'll have to mail it back, but it looks like it will be a satisfactory setup if it solves the leakage and seepage problem.

In the meanwhile, I may play around with the 510 battery extension I used with the tank. Unlike the 510 connection on the darwin that exposes the 510's inlet holes on that atty's threads, the extension has a deeper connection which encloses the same. The Darwin's connection guarantees there will be no atty flooding at the cost of increased seepage and leaks. But so far*, it looks like the extension allows for adequate airflow while cutting down on the seepage. Or at least, it will leak harmlessly on the side of the mod instead of on it's dial and button.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Last edited:

cuseguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2010
Texas USA
Today's vape; Darwin with T-atty. T atty resistance is reading 2.2 ohms, so trying to keep it conservative at 7.5 watts which puts out 4.2V. I have a black T which looks nicer, but it can't close due to the rubberized coating. SS barely slides by, but touches the button slightly.
20a74085-913c-130d.jpg

20a74085-915f-6e5c.jpg

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
If you don't mind me asking, what issues did the Darwin have?

Just wanted to say thanks to Brandon at Evolv, my Darwin had a few issues and he took VERY good care of me immediately!! I had my Darwin back and functioning properly in no time.. This company"s customer service is stellar!! THANKS BRANDON

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
Just checking in. Work's been busy, and as Grandpa always said, ya gotta make hay while the suns'a shinin'.

Got replacement o rings for the (non COV) tank mod, still having some leaking issues with it. Will try to go through the instructions again and fool with it if I ever get some time.

And I do have a suggestion for the Darwin....put the atomizer arm on the other side of the mod. The current design almost guarantees leakage into the button and thumb wheel area and promises to guarantee leakage into the Darwin's electronic gizzards if there's any leakage.

Yes, I know you're not supposed to leak liquids. But I'll bet I'm not the only person who has overfilled an atty or had a malfunctioning drip/juice mod.

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
Got replacement o rings for the (non COV) tank mod, still having some leaking issues with it. Will try to go through the instructions again and fool with it if I ever get some time.

And I do have a suggestion for the Darwin....put the atomizer arm on the other side of the mod. The current design almost guarantees leakage into the button and thumb wheel area and promises to guarantee leakage into the Darwin's electronic gizzards if there's any leakage.

Yes, I know you're not supposed to leak liquids. But I'll bet I'm not the only person who has overfilled an atty or had a malfunctioning drip/juice mod.

Overfilling an atty doesn't produce enough leakage to cause any issues....at least my experience. What are we talking about 2-3 drops? But, a leaking 3ml or larger tank is another matter. I'd rather see folks *myself included* check their mods than reinvent the wheel and make something that feels counterintuitive (arm opposite button).

2cents.gif

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Just my 2 cents- 510 atty's design lends itself to leaking if over-dripped, thus it seems only reasonable that a PV (any PV) should be designed such as that any leakage cannot enter the PV. If Darwin's design allows leakage then I think it should be addressed (maybe it could be fixed without moving the atty connector, maybe not).

cuseguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2010
Texas USA
Just my 2 cents- 510 atty's design lends itself to leaking if over-dripped, thus it seems only reasonable that a PV (any PV) should be designed such as that any leakage cannot enter the PV. If Darwin's design allows leakage then I think it should be addressed (maybe it could be fixed without moving the atty connector, maybe not).

I drip an awful lot with 306LR's (known leakers) and 510HV's and I have not had any problems with any juice getting inside. I agree with Parallex that it just comes down to common sense and due diligence while using and storing the device. I would not want any design changes personally.

Last edited:

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Common sense and due diligence should be used, I agree, but also my feeling is that any PV costing $229.00 should not allow juice to enter the electronic circuits inside. I currently use a 5 volt mod that I made, and as inexpensive as it is, it cannot get juice inside....by design.....

I am contemplating either the new Eclipse eq or the Darwin, and any "issues" will be considered before I purchase, especially when spending upwards of $200.00. Just my 2 cents worth...

cuseguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2010
Texas USA
You have to love the innovation and quick rate of development and improvement with PVs. On the other hand isn't $200 a bit much for these types of devices?

Apparently not, since they all have waiting lists in the range of 3-4 weeks! :) But, you have to remember, the economy of scale here. An iphone sells 3 million units a year, the very best PV's are lucky to sell 5000, if that. R&D, pre-production, and manufacturing set up, cost alot to recoup on a limited market item, like a PV

Last edited:

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
I guess that the cost is relative....my interest is in a PV that is almost maintenance free, provides the best quality vape experience possible (no matter what atty, carto, etc. that is used), and is durable, adjustible, and professionally engineered & manufactured. I would think it would also come with a warrantee.

You have to love the innovation and quick rate of development and improvement with PVs. On the other hand isn't $200 a bit much for these types of devices?

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
I guess that the cost is relative....my interest is in a PV that is almost maintenance free, provides the best quality vape experience possible (no matter what atty, carto, etc. that is used), and is durable, adjustible, and professionally engineered & manufactured. I would think it would also come with a warrantee.
Actually - Retird - Darwin is pretty much exactly what you are describing. Probably more money and resources went into developing Darwin than possibly any other device. Obviously, I cannot say this definitively (as I have not had any discussions with the makers of the other two PCB/microprocessor devices - one available and the other coming). But, I have spoken with Evolv people and KNOW for a FACT that these devices are the product of SUBSTANTIAL investments of time, engineering, resources and are MANUFACTURED - right here in the USA.

Oh, yea, if you haven't heard - Darwin warranty is 2 years on the device and a full year on the batteries.

In case you may have missed it, here is a little bit of information on Darwin: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ressions-newest-pre-production-prototype.html

Last edited:

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
NebulaBrot - thanks for the comments.....in my deliberations on purchasing a high end mod, I really look for verifiable technical information, descriptions, and warrantee information.....also accessing many different forums looking for real time observations and evaluations of the 3 PCB/microprocessor devices.....

my 2 cents at this point are that Nhaler is the only place that indicates that the Darwin has a warrantee. The technical details of the Darwin are non-existant except for the following statement on Nhaler's web site:

The Darwin

The Darwin is a new power regulated personal vaporizer by Evolv that can be used with all of your atomizers and cartomizers that have a 510 connection. The Darwin can also be used with adapters to utilize other connections. This mod features a new, state of the art technology bundled with a sleek design. The Darwin boasts unprecedented power capabilities which are properly managed to outlast conventional battery mods giving the user ultimate control in adjusting the watts of your PV. Comes with charger and does not require additional batteries. Full 2 Year Warranty on the Darwin and a 1 year battery warranty.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noted also that there is absolutely no information on Evolv's web site except they are out of stock and can be purchased from Nhaler....no warrantee information, battery replacement cost, customer service info, and etc....

I am not in any way bad-mouthing the Darwin, but just stating my observations.....

Detailed information is readily available on the ProVari's and the Eclipse eq's web sites.......

I really am leaning toward the Darwin or the Eclipse eq, and hopefully more info will be available soon on the Darwin.....

Again, let me be clear that I am not bad-mouthing the Darwin.......just stating my observations ( my 2 cents worth)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread