Darwin by Evolv Initial Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuseguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2010
Texas USA
NebulaBrot - thanks for the comments.....in my deliberations on purchasing a high end mod, I really look for verifiable technical information, descriptions, and warrantee information.....also accessing many different forums looking for real time observations and evaluations of the 3 PCB/microprocessor devices.....

my 2 cents at this point are that Nhaler is the only place that indicates that the Darwin has a warrantee. The technical details of the Darwin are non-existant except for the following statement on Nhaler's web site:

The Darwin

The Darwin is a new power regulated personal vaporizer by Evolv that can be used with all of your atomizers and cartomizers that have a 510 connection. The Darwin can also be used with adapters to utilize other connections. This mod features a new, state of the art technology bundled with a sleek design. The Darwin boasts unprecedented power capabilities which are properly managed to outlast conventional battery mods giving the user ultimate control in adjusting the watts of your PV. Comes with charger and does not require additional batteries. Full 2 Year Warranty on the Darwin and a 1 year battery warranty.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noted also that there is absolutely no information on Evolv's web site except they are out of stock and can be purchased from Nhaler....no warrantee information, battery replacement cost, customer service info, and etc....

I am not in any way bad-mouthing the Darwin, but just stating my observations.....

Detailed information is readily available on the ProVari's and the Eclipse eq's web sites.......

I really am leaning toward the Darwin or the Eclipse eq, and hopefully more info will be available soon on the Darwin.....

Again, let me be clear that I am not bad-mouthing the Darwin.......just stating my observations ( my 2 cents worth)

I do understand what you're saying. For putting so much time, energy and money into the Darwin, Evolv could do a better job on that side of the business. But there is a written statement of the warranty in the Darwin Instruction Manual. I've attached it, so you can see it for yourself. My first-hand experience with both Evolv and ProVape has been outstanding. When I first got my Darwin, in the first few days, I thought I had a big issue with unit not charging, we later found out it was just a quirky USB charger, but I called Evolv. They were literally ready to overnight me a brand new Darwin that day and then have me mail the old unit back later! Can't beat that! They did overnight the charger though!

I'm not putting The Eclipse down, since I am looking at it as a potential future purchase, but I have done my fair share of early adopting of PV mods and more often than not, it hasn't been trouble-free. Add to that, the pure complexity of this device, and imho it lends itself to some pretty high odds of early issues. I may be completely wrong and hope I am. It's a device I will wait at least 3 months after release to consider at all. I'll let everyone else spend their $300 first this time:)

Juice entering PV circuitry is an interesting debate. Fluid on wires (connector and surrounding area) is one thing and is fairly harmless other than a eventual buildup of goo! Liquids leaked directly onto or into a PCB while powered up is another. Theoretically that could cause a short circuit on the board and either shut it down or burn it out. It all depends on the board's protection mechanisms and where the liquid lands. Supposedly, Brandon from Evolv leaked an awful lot of juice (think it was around 3ml) directly down the Darwin Dial opening and the unit immediately shut down. But after drying overnight, it was fine with no noticeable effects.

Attachments

• darwin_instructions.pdf
    145.3 KB · Views: 143

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Good post, cuseguy , points well taken......

Evolv demonstrates quick customer service (as all posters with issues have said here) and hopefully any issues inherent to the device that need modification can be accomplished. As with any new product some "tweeking" may be needed..

The 2 year warrantee offers some assurance (for manufacturer defects)

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
I'm not putting The Eclipse down, since I am looking at it as a potential future purchase, but I have done my fair share of early adopting of PV mods and more often than not, it hasn't been trouble-free. Add to that, the pure complexity of this device, and imho it lends itself to some pretty high odds of early issues. I may be completely wrong and hope I am. It's a device I will wait at least 3 months after release to consider at all. I'll let everyone else spend their $300 first this time:)

Ditto.....Add me to the Wait And See List

I wish them well but have real reservations about that PV. According to what's been posted it is supposed to be released this month but I've not found any Beta information, testing, feedback, etc. Does anyone have links to info by real people using it in the real world?

Brandon knows he needs to spend some time on the PR side of the business, but right now he's making sure units get delivered and customers are happy. From what I've read and heard he's doing a bangup job. What most folks might not know is he had a lab do "Torture Tests" on the production model before it was released. Only after the model passed all the tests did he start production....which gave me a great sense of confidence in the product and the company. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on future products by Evolv.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
wait and see... is always prudent and good advice. it separates the men from the ___'s among us (of which i have been mostly - can't wait to get my hands on something that tickles my projections of what would be / could be, so great!)

of course the warranty is the back up plan for anyone jumping on first run, and good PR is having plans to handle early glitches (replacement units).

Brandon has been A+ on top of any early Darwin issues... couldn't ask for more.

'I am impressed that all (unless i'm mistaken) of the "smart" pv's out now are U.S. made...

so will i jump? ... probably.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
wait and see... is always prudent and good advice.....well said.....

Just waiting and researching the PV's but I will jump at some point.....till then I am a happy vaper with the two "cheap" mods that I built recently, one a 5 volt and one a variable voltage. Kinda a hobby right now, so I am building 2 more to give to a couple of vaping friends....Cost of parts is under 14.00 for a 5 volt and just under 32.00 for a variable voltage, so it is fun and won't break the bank either.....

If I were to post a pdf the 5 volt mod would be on the left side..(hehe)

Good day all:):)

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    116.8 KB · Views: 148

Sewknitty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2010
NY
shesaquitter.wordpress.com
I drip an awful lot with 306LR's (known leakers) and 510HV's and I have not had any problems with any juice getting inside. I agree with Parallex that it just comes down to common sense and due diligence while using and storing the device. I would not want any design changes personally.

Good points, Cuseguy. Any leakage I've had has ended up on the back of the device. It collects in the space between the atty connector and the device and runs toward the back and not down the side and into the dial. In fact I've never had any juice run into the dial, not even when my tank leaked. I use the Darwin with the arm at 45 degree angle most of the time, which may have something to do with it.

You have to love the innovation and quick rate of development and improvement with PVs. On the other hand isn't $200 a bit much for these types of devices?

(Sorry Cuseguy! I know how much you love your other digital device!)
I priced out another mod with a readout and, with the extended warranty and batteries it actually came out to more than the Darwin. There's a wait for the Darwin but when it's available you pay your money and have it - unless there's a stupid postal holiday - within 2 days. The Eclipse, though not a good comparison since it will be able to feed itself - will be priced around $250, I believe.

Edit to add: As always, buyer beware is a good credo even when information is plentiful. We're responsible for doing our homework and accepting only that level of risk we're comfortable with. I'm quite satisfied with my purchase and would (and will) buy another.
:banana:

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
Thanks to a quick change of o-rings and a couple of quick tutorials (thanks, jonboyusmc) the 510 tank mod is working satisfactorily on the darwin. Zero leaks or seepage, and an all day juice supply I can use with the Darwin.

Oh, yeah. Daddy like.

Taste is a bit muted, like I've encountered with the other ce 2's I've tried. Small price to pay for having a good juicer at hand. It rather compliments the extraordinary battery capacity of the mod. Truthfully, there's been a couple of days this week where I had to spend a fair chunk of the day out on the road where I've chosen to take the Reo Grand and leave the Darwin at home. But after a very short time with this setup, I'm confident to take it anywhere.

And the Darwin's ability to dial in the exact wattage shines with this juicer mod. Different juices and viscosities perform differently in the tank, and the wattage adjustment can be dialed in to the precise amount to ensure good vaping and minimum harshness and singeing of the juice. 7 watts seems to be the best setting so far.

And while I respect opinions that differ from mine, I can only report on what I experience. Any leaks or seepages from my atty or carto seemed to go right to the exposed dial and button area. I can't say that this seemed to alter or diminish the use for functionality of the Darwin, but they did cause me a bit of concern.

Again, loving-loving-loving the Darwin with this setup. Never ending vape that could almost be described as magical. Nicotine overdose and poisoning is a serious possibility with this sucker.

AngusATAT

Captain Tightpants
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
GA, USA
Trying out my new Inferno-T atty on my Darwin. Yummy stuff so far!

DarwinT.jpg

progg

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
wait and see... is always prudent and good advice.....well said.....

Just waiting and researching the PV's but I will jump at some point.....till then I am a happy vaper with the two "cheap" mods that I built recently, one a 5 volt and one a variable voltage. Kinda a hobby right now, so I am building 2 more to give to a couple of vaping friends....Cost of parts is under 14.00 for a 5 volt and just under 32.00 for a variable voltage, so it is fun and won't break the bank either.....

If I were to post a pdf the 5 volt mod would be on the left side..(hehe)

Good day all:):)

Nice job ..................

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Nice job ..................

Thanks, added Variable Voltage to this recently completed one... don't really like the looks of the fire button, and will change it on the next one... also adding digital voltage display to the next one...

Attachments

• Doc1111.pdf
    228.6 KB · Views: 126

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
If it's alright with clyde, please post your next one. Looks good.

Will post my next one in the other thread......just modding while evaluating the Darwin vs. eclipse eq (if it every comes out)...ready to jump but not yet (haha)....sorry Clyde for taking so much space.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread