Day 10 of quitting cigs: Not being able to sleep more than 4-5 hours???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
So its about day 10 since I've had an "analog" cigarette but I've been steadily vaping at 12mg nic level since. I've been a little nauseous some days and overall fatigued but what I have noticed the most is my inability to sleep past 4-5 hours a night! I haven't really found this to be a symptom of cigarette withdrawal online. Did anyone else experience this when they quit? I have no problems falling asleep, but I'm used to sleeping between 6.5-8 hours a night. It seems that since I've switched to vaping I wake up every morning now around the same time after 4-5 hours of sleep tired as hell and unable to fall back asleep.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011

Jen in North Pole AK

Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
North Pole, AK
I ran into the same problem myself about a month after I quit the cigarettes. I woke up in the middle of crazy dreams about 3:30 or 4 am, and could not go back to sleep. This lasted for almost 2 weeks and about drove me through the wall. It started right after I switched from 18mg to 12mg.
Part of my problem seemed to be dehydration and when I tried to fix that problem then it was having to pee. :facepalm:
You are the first person I have run across that mentions the same problem, so I guess I have back up that I'm not completely nuts.

BraveNewWorld

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
I am 10 days in too, and I also haven't had a normal schedule. My kids keep me busy so when they go down my vaping becomes fun, I try everything and love enjoying my flavors. Then I'm up for hours, lol. I need to reduce my nic at night if I want to continue. I bought all my juices (which is a lot right now) in 12 mg so I will be ordering 6 from now on, or 9 if they offer it. No weird dreams or waking up, I just can't go to sleep, don't want to really, then I pay for it in the morning. I would reduce your levels just at night even though you can fall asleep it would be an uneasy sleep from the stimulation, hence the inability to fall asleep even though your tired. And the reason your not feeling relief from your sleep is because it's not a restful sleep, if that makes sense?

Phild0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2014
Mesa, AZ
I am approaching my 2nd month is a couple days. When I quit cigs, boy, my body went throught the ringer. I will say though, that I stopped drinking diet coke at the same time. I read that nicotine is a stimulant so I vaped 3mg before bed. I didn't have any problems sleeping, but I really felt like crap. I felt as if something was wrong with my body. Pain in my hands, legs and feet. My legs just had to be moving, I couldn't sit still. I was really going crazy, thinking that I was making healthy changes, but I felt absolutely horrible. It has been tough not going back to my unhealthy ways, simply because it felt so much better.

Now that time has passed, my body is good, and I am happy that I stuck with it. I can breath, food tastes amazing. Still have the occasional craving for a smoke and a diet coke. But all is well.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Sleep disturbance problems are pretty common when quitting smoking. There is a lot of crap in cigarette smoke - including trace amount of MAOI's (antidepressants) your brain has to adjust to no longer receiving as part of the withdrawal. Switching to vaping isn't as simple as just replacing nicotine with nicotine - you are leaving a lot of smoking related crap behind. As a former 30 year 2 PAD smoker I went through two months of varying degrees of insomnia when I quit smoking. It will pass but you have to suck it up and get through it if it's a problem.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I intentionally did 6 weeks of dual use, vaping plus four cigs a day to give me time to adjust to vaping. I think that helped when I started zero cigs but still I had all kinds of goofy pseudo symptoms that I knew would go away and they did. Even now, 2 months into zero cigs I'll wake up in a panic because I dreamed I had no cigs. These days I'm calmer and less anxious in general with occaisions of mild stress for no apparent reason. What makes detoxing with vaping less stressful is the fair certainty there will be no relapse to smoking. Once you have confidence in that all the other crap is, just crap.

Last edited:
You said your at 12mg? Id go to 24, it has more of a kick and can help offset some of the change.

As a personal note I always tell my friends not to think of it as quitting, quitting is stressful, switching however is not so bad. Congrats on ten days! Its a good start! bump up your nic level. Even if your goal is to quit it all forever, stepping down when you start can be harder than just switching and 12 is kind of weak in some of the plug and play devices in my opinion.

I quit and when I did I used 24 for years before dropping to 18. The more your body is convinced that that it has enough nicotine, the easier it is to get your mind to follow suit.

Wissel Joe

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Medina, Ohio
I ran into the same problem myself about a month after I quit the cigarettes. I woke up in the middle of crazy dreams about 3:30 or 4 am, and could not go back to sleep. This lasted for almost 2 weeks and about drove me through the wall. It started right after I switched from 18mg to 12mg.
Part of my problem seemed to be dehydration and when I tried to fix that problem then it was having to pee. :facepalm:
You are the first person I have run across that mentions the same problem, so I guess I have back up that I'm not completely nuts.

same thing is happening to me now.,really dry skin also trying to drink lots of water and gatorade.

same thing is happening to me now.,really dry skin also trying to drink lots of water and gatorade.

dehydration is a common side effect of switching. I'm not certain why but dreams and restlessness are often withdrawal symptoms. I found high nic juice works better at first. But they also make some juices with tobacco alkaloids in them. Steeped tobacco juices and the like. Ive never used them but others with trouble sleeping and other symptoms have said that these can help facilitate switching.

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Sandbox, USSA
very little sleep here either...I'm tired by the end of the night, and generally fall sleep with no problems, but end up tossing and turning, waking up at 2 or 3am and then can't get back to sleep :(

Tell me 2pks, when you wake up at 2 or 3 AM do you go for a vape?
I Already know your answer...
But I'm glad you're not going for a ciggie.

(My question was meant for you to answer to yourself ;-)

Regards and Hang in there.

Hazy :2cool:

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I was a 40 year heavy smoker. I went thru quite a lot of insomnia when I quit. At first I think it was because I was breathing so much better and I had more energy. I just wasn't that tired at bedtime. I was also drinking so much water that I would have to get up several times to pee. (of course I am at the age where it's rare if I sleep thru the night.)

After a few months I found that it was too much nicotine and too much caffeine that was giving me anxiety and sleeplessness. I needed to cut back on nic and coffee and other stimulants like sugar. I read that this is because your liver starts processing things better when it no longer needs to deal with all of the chemicals in cigarette smoke. (I'm not a doctor--but I do play one on TV.)

It's all a balancing act, but you are not the only one to have some sleep problems.

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia

I went through the exact same thing. I'd vape a LOT close to bed time. Dropping the nic level helped a bit. Flushing the crap out of my system and getting used to not getting all the extras in cigarettes helped a lot. Your body does get used to it, but it might take a little longer. You can do it.

I didn't have problems sleeping so much, it was the dehydration that got me at first. I started at 24 mg of nicotine as I had read somewhere that for a 2+ pack/day smoker that would be appropriate. I've been buying 120 ml bottles of juice which last me 2-3 weeks and dropped the nicotine 2 mg on every order after the first couple of months, using 8 mg now and just ordered 6 mg that'll be here tomorrow. After a few months my doctor even noticed I was breathing much better and asked what I had done. Hang in there man, you'll get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread