DCT MAP Tank Punched Carto 1.5 ohm .. holes too big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jp6608

Sep 3, 2011
MA
I purchased the dct map tank and (2) DCT MAP Tank Punched Carto 1.25 ohm from CoV on Sept 6. As you may know, CoV is a fantastic vendor. Purchasing the map tank and the (2) punched carto went through fast. From payment to delivery. Could not be happier with this vendor.

My plan was to find a juice that I enjoyed a lot and fill it on the map tank. So after a few weeks, I finally found the juice that I wanted to fill the map tank with. (the juice is a rice krispey treat flavor at 60/40 vg/pg ratio)

My first attempt at filling the map tank ended with juice in my mouth and juice running down the battery connection.

I did the research and watched youtube videos again to make sure I didn't miss anything. I tried again, and same result. I grabbed the other 1.25 ohm pre punched carto and got the same result. I now have about ~12 ml's of this expensive juice on my desk, keyboard, napkins, paper towels, my box mod, all over my hands and zero juice inside the map tank.

I took the original carto that came with the dct map tank, (I think it's a 1.5 ohm?) and noticed that the holes were noticeably smaller. I filled that carto with some vanilla flavor juice (not sure of the pg/vg ratio). Didn't see the flood like the other two. Vaped it for a minute. Removed it and noticed only a small droplet of juice at the bottom of the carto (where it meets the box mod's battery connection). At least it wasn't flooding. At this point, I don't feel safe leaving any of the cartos connected to my box mod.

I'll be the first one to admit that I'm not very experienced with map tanks. That's the big reason why I bought the punched cartos from CoV.

I'm hoping that someone could tell me by looking at these images if the holes in these cartos are too big.

cov%20map%20tank%201.jpg

I tried comparing the holes on my cartos to the holes I see on youtube but honestly, I just can't tell. Sometimes the holes that I have look about the same size as others.. and sometimes they seem huge compared to another.

If the holes are too big.. is there a way to make them smaller? Should I just call it a loss and throw them out? I don't know what to do. I've already feel like I've wasted enough time/money/juice trying to get this to work.

Last edited:

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
On the first carto, did your liquid go directly into the tank (down the outside of the carto? Seems like you may have flooded the carto and the liquid came out the punched holes. Try blowing excess liquid out of the airway in the carto and it may be OK.

As far as filling, you have to pull the carto down, so that the punched holes are below the bottom cap. Then, you tilt it to the side, so that you can see past the top of the carto into the tank. Insert your liquid between the carto and tank. You're only filling the tank. It's best to start with a pre-juiced carto, so you don't have to wait for the liquid to wick-in and saturate the carto before you start vaping. I hope this helps! Good luck!

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Yes, yes, no (possibly). I would say the first 2 are too deep and it disturbed the airhole tube. The last one on the right looks better but depends on how deep it was punched. I've found that slotting them works the best for me plus I gave up on using dcc's in my tanks. They have a tendency to heat the juice up too much and cause leaking. I use a higher ohm'd carto in mine and I've been happy since...no leaking.

jp6608

Sep 3, 2011
MA
Bruce,
PM sent..

Here's an update for those curious about the sleeve covering the holes idea.

The sleeve helped but it didn't resolve my leak problem. Instead of a faucet, I now have a very slow leak (as well as the inside being flooded). I think the sleeve idea would work great for others but in my case, i think the holes were made too big and too close to the battery thread area. When I have the carto inside the maptank, I'm only able to see about half the hole.

venkman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
Long Island, NY
IMO, those holes do look large and low. the third one looks about right, maybe a little small. somewhere between the size of those large holes and the small one would probably be perfect. the DCs are just waiting to leak if the hole is too big. If you tend to take hard pulls, that can cause them to start leaking like mad.

I recommend punching your own cartos. It's very simple with just a hammer and a nail. After punching just a few, you easily get the hang of making the hole just the right size. My girlfriend takes much harder pulls off of her PV than I do, so when I punch cartos for her I make sure to make a smaller hole than I do on mine.

And, some DCs just leak. No matter what you do.

Qlock

Feb 18, 2011
Navarre Beach
Finally tried out my Map Tank too! Was excited. Now I'm so frustrated, I almost tossed it.

Fill it up just as instructed in the video, put it on my Omega, first hit is decent and kinda normal, then the carto floods and I get a shot of juice in the mouth and it starts leaking from the bottom of the carto and all down the Omega.

Took everything apart. Cleaned it. Dried it. Blew out the carto until nothing came out. Put it all back together and refilled.

Same flipping thing. Any ideas?

Qlock

Feb 18, 2011
Navarre Beach
It's definitely the carto that's leaking. Not the tank. I'm just gonna shelf it until I can find exactly what carto works flawlessly with the DC. I found this thing called the "Bud" last night that's an atty/tank mod. Looks solid, so I'm gonna go with that for now I think. I wish I did a little more research on these before I bought one. Seems the results vary widely.

xanas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I found the same issue. The carto that came with the tank worked great and lasted a little over a month. I've had to switch out the other three I purchased out over the last two weeks due to leaking. I'm going to swing by my local supplier and pick up a couple of unpunched cartos and punch them myself to see if one hole will prevent the leaking. I love the tank and am not ready to give up on it yet.

Qlock

Feb 18, 2011
Navarre Beach
I'm a fairly new MAP tank user and love it so far, still on the first carto. I am now worried about ordering the pre punched cartos. Seems like they would be punched right if you are paying extra for them. Am I wrong for assuming that?

I bought the pre-punched carto from the same place I bought the tank and mine leaked like crazy. So, definitely do some research before buying to see who makes one that doesnt leak. I haven't had the time to do it yet so it's just sitting on the shelf right now. *tear*

venkman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
Long Island, NY
I haven't tried any pre-punched DCs from COV or any other vendor, but I have gotten pre-cut DCs from a different vendor. Instead of being punched with a hole, there is a slit cut with a dremel. Some have worked great, some have leaked like there is no tomorrow. Some of the leakers had noticeably bigger slits cut into them, though some seemed to have adequately small slits. Because these dual coils are so inconsistent, regardless of how they are slotted/punched (though this can play a role), i've found it easiest and most cost effective to just punch my own. I just use a hammer and a nail. Do a few practice punches on an old carto, and you will get the hang of it in no time.

That being said, today i came across this video (thanks to WillyB on VF for sharing the vid), and it looks like a pretty solid solution to carto punching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread